Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atlantean

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
My iPhone 4s needs to go to be repaired as there is a problem with a piece of the phone having slid out of place and is now covering the camera lens. :mad:

The phone is on Firmware 5.1.1 (9B206) I am using iTunes 11 (which I hate) on a Mac running 10.8.2.

I know if I go into iTunes where I have backed up the iPhone and select factory reset it is going to upgrade the phone to OS6.

My question is what do I need to do now in order to preserve the settings so as when I get my iPhone back I will be able to return it to 5.1.1?

I have downloaded Tinyunbrella 6.01.00 in order to save the SHSHs but I am unsure how exactly to go about this as there seems to be a lot of different settings.

On my phone I have xBackup installed which keeps track of my Cydia apps.

Can someone please tell my what I need to do now to ensure I can restore my iPhone on its return to the current setup and firmware?

TIA

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
They will just replace your phone anyway. They dont open it apart and fix it and give it back.
So what ios version you hand in doesnt matter.
Most likelly the replacement will have 6.0 installed.

Atlantean

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
They will just replace your phone anyway. They dont open it apart and fix it and give it back.
So what ios version you hand in doesnt matter.
Most likelly the replacement will have 6.0 installed.

Thanks for your reply. Thing is though I know I'm going to end up with iOS 6 anyway so I want to be able to get back to 5.1.1 as easy and painless as possible when I get the phone back!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks for your reply. Thing is though I know I'm going to end up with iOS 6 anyway so I want to be able to get back to 5.1.1 as easy and painless as possible when I get the phone back!

I dont think you get it.
All they will do is take your faulty iphone and give you another replacement iphone.
And if that is not on 5.1.1 then there's nothing you can do to get back to 5.1.1 on the new 4S.
You're stuck with 6.0 or 6.0.1 if it comes preinstalled with those firmware versions.

Atlantean

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
And if that is not on 5.1.1 then there's nothing you can do to get back to 5.1.1 on the new 4S.
You're stuck with 6.0 or 6.0.1 if it comes preinstalled with those firmware versions.

So this does not work then? :(

----------

I just read this....

Keep in mind that if you've already upgraded your device to iOS 6.x, you cannot downgrade it to 5.x, even if you have all the SHSH blobs in the world. You'll have to wait for a jailbreak for iOS 6.x. (The exception is the iPad 2 - if you have iOS 4.x and 5.x SHSH blobs saved, you can downgrade it from iOS 6.x to 5.x.)

Feck! :mad:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
What part is covering the camera?

They can replace both the back cover AND camera module if you'd prefer and they have the parts. That way you don't have to go through the hassle of un-jailbreaking.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
So this does not work then? :(

----------

I just read this....

Feck! :mad:

Sorry bro.
Usually applecare doesnt open up your iphone and replace the parts and fix it on the spot.
They give you a replacement phone and send yours back to Apple to get fixed through the mail.
And even if you had blobs for the old phone they will never work on the new phone you will receive.

Atlantean

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
What part is covering the camera?

They can replace both the back cover AND camera module if you'd prefer and they have the parts. That way you don't have to go through the hassle of un-jailbreaking.

You can see something has slipped out of pace here and is covering the lens!

photo.JPG

----------

Sorry bro.
Usually applecare doesnt open up your iphone and replace the parts and fix it on the spot.
They give you a replacement phone and send yours back to Apple to get fixed through the mail.
And even if you had blobs for the old phone they will never work on the new phone you will receive.

Thanks for your help anyway ;)

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You can see something has slipped out of pace here and is covering the lens!

----------

Thanks for your help anyway ;)

You won't need a new iPhone. That's the little rubber lens protector (imagine a square sticky foam pad with a circle cut out, to stop the camera lens hitting the back cover).

They probably wont even need any parts - it'll just be a case of repositioning the one you have (it it's under warranty, ask them to put a new camera in which will come with a new foam pad). They'll have the bits to do this in store (they stock back covers and cameras (the foam comes with the camera service part), and can do this within about 3 minutes :).

If you're out of warranty, the camera module is £26.54 - not sure what it equates to in Euros though.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
You won't need a new iPhone. That's the little rubber lens protector (imagine a square sticky foam pad with a circle cut out, to stop the camera lens hitting the back cover).

They probably wont even need any parts - it'll just be a case of repositioning the one you have (it it's under warranty, ask them to put a new camera in which will come with a new foam pad). They'll have the bits to do this in store, and can do this within about 3 minutes :).

Im sorry but what Apple store you know that will open up and repair an iphone on the spot? Instead of taking it in and just handing him a replacement? Have all the parts available there to remove and install a new camera piece?
Im all for giving him hope but you might be setting him up to get dissapointed when they just give him a new fully functional 4S with 6.0 installed.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Im sorry but what Apple store you know that will open up and repair an iphone on the spot? Instead of taking it in and just handing him a replacement? Have all the parts available there to remove and install a new camera piece?
Im all for giving him hope but you might be setting him up to get dissapointed when they just give him a new fully functional 4S with 6.0 installed.

They all can and do :). Usually they'll just swap because it's easier, but they will always do a repair for you if you'd prefer and have the parts available.

And I know for a fact they have camera kits. They always have them in stock (if they don't they can order them in). But like I said, you won't actually *need* a part, they can just reposition the foam ring.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
They all can and do :). Usually they'll just swap because it's easier, but they will always do a repair for you if you'd prefer and have the parts available.

Here in the US the Apple stores are always packed.
So they try to get everyone in and out as soon as they can.
They dont even bother with ever fixing anything, they just hand out replacements and then either fix them there later if they have the parts and its something small like the one here or they mail them out to an iphone refurb facility.
I wonder if he insists to have his own one fixed if they will do it on the spot.
But again he's risking bringing it in JB. Unless he makes it look completelly stock and hide cydia somewhere and no themes or any JB stuff installed while he's there.
Worth a try.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Here in the US the Apple stores are always packed.
So they try to get everyone in and out as soon as they can.
They dont even bother with ever fixing anything, they just hand out replacements and then either fix them there later if they have the parts and its something small like the one here or they mail them out to an iphone refurb facility.
I wonder if he insists to have his own one fixed if they will do it on the spot.
But again he's risking bringing it in JB. Unless he makes it look completelly stock and hide cydia somewhere and no themes or any JB stuff installed while he's there.
Worth a try.

If you ask them, they'll do it no problems - but I would suggest booking an appointment during a slightly quieter time (saturday afternoon, for example, will be swapshop time).

You'd have to be incredibly unlucky to find someone that didn't want to do it - after all, it gets them off the shop floor (replacing the camera takes ~2 minutes, but I bet they're gone about 15 :p). If they don't have the camera and say you need one, they can order one for you, providing you don't mind a return trip and waiting.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
I was in the same situation. I couldn't save my 5.1.1 blob so I updated to 6.0, they replaced it with a refurb 4s that was still on 5.1.1

so you may be in luck. Act fast

Atlantean

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Well I tried a number of things from iTunes to redsn0w but it appears I cannot replace 5.1.1 with a clean 5.1.1. There is an issue with APTickets and my iPhone :-(

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Requirements for you to restore 4S to 5.1.1

You must have reached 5.1.1 via an iTunes restore/upgrade
You cannot have factory fresh or OTA firmware
You must have saved 5.1.1 SHSH after the iTunes restore to 5.1.1

If any of these are not the case. the restore will error out and may leave you in a recovery loop which requires upgrading to 6.0.1 to escape.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
So at this point your best option is restore to 6.0.1 take it to Apple and hope they replace it with a 4S on 5.1.1, you can even try telling the genus you really prefer 5.1.1 IOS over 6.0.1 maybe he will be nice a look for that.

Atlantean

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I honestly cant remember how I got 5.1.1. but I was 95% sure it was via iTunes.

I have the SHSH blobs saved.

At least after all my trial end error tests the phone is still working fine (apart from the camera)

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I honestly cant remember how I got 5.1.1. but I was 95% sure it was via iTunes.

I have the SHSH blobs saved.

At least after all my trial end error tests the phone is still working fine (apart from the camera)

Like I said, you won't need a new phone.

Heck, you could even buy a small pentalobe screwdriver for $2, slide the back off, and move the rubber yourself :p

Atlantean

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Heck, you could even buy a small pentalobe screwdriver for $2, slide the back off, and move the rubber yourself :p

I actually have the tools to open the phone — I didn't really want to go down that route as it is still in warranty but it is looking like that may be the way forward for me now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.