Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Hell yeah, the ipad totally replaced my mbs and desktops :) unless i gotta do some work plus dont have any reason to plug my ipad to itunes.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Congratulations.

What about typing and editing word docs and powerpoint slides? :confused:

the iPad is an excellent presentation tool. I made slides for a 2 hour presentation solely on my iPad and the result was amazing. Keynote even can simulate laser pointers, I love it. The recent update of the iWork suite for iOS includes better support for MS Office. I really love it.

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
While I had my Macbook Pro in for repairs, I was using my Powerbook G4 and iPad. Although the iPad was faster than my PB, I wished I had my MBP. The PB was slow when viewing videos online. The iPad battery life sucks. For some reason I'm getting 5hrs. Then, you can't charge while using. On a MacBook you can.
BS.

Unless you're playing graphics intensive games for 5 hrs straight on full brightness, there's no way in hell your iPad only has a 5hrs of battery life. And if that were the case, your MBP would be quickly drained just the same. You must think we're all idiots here and don't use iPads.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I bought the 3rd generation iPad (the original one with the retina display) in the beginning of the year. I have always been a very heavy computer user, and I was just fascinated by the quality of the IPS screen.

However, the iPad was not of much use to me in the following months. It is a neat machine, but it lacks some serious features. I use my computer mainly for word processing, web browsing and PDF reading, but also for drafting presentations, sending e-mails and things related to it. I am not into Facebook or Twitter or any social network. Not too much into editing photos, although sometimes I need to. And I like to multi-task. Lots of side-by-side multi-tasking.

Well, I quickly found out that the iPad could not replace my laptop for my usage. I rarely used it. However, a few days ago, I bought an Apple wireless keyboard to use with the iPad. The external keyboard made my iPad something much more useful than it used to be. The keyboard (which is the same one used in the iMac) is great and provides a good tactile feedback and key travel. Better than any keyboard I've ever had in any laptop. Just great for typing text.

Now, the problem is software. iOS is very limited. It doesn't allow multi-tasking. I can't do side-by-side multi-tasking on the iPad. And the apps are somewhat limited and don't offer all the features available on software for Windows or Mac. Pages is a nice word processor, but there is no full-blown alternative, with all bells and whistles, such as Microsoft Word. No advanced features such as cross-references. And there is no reference manager yet to work with word processors on the iPad. I miss that.

Anyway, I found the iPad to be a much more usable device with a keyboard than without it. I am really starting to think that the combination of a tablet and an external keyboard makes a better laptop than a true laptop. I am not limited to the keyboards found in laptops (some of them are really crap and have poor key travel), as I can choose any bluetooth keyboard available out there. In the future, software may evolve enough to provide a full experience on the iPad. For now, however, it just can't replace the laptop.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
For absorbing content the iPad is hard to beat. For creating content, if you want to do things slower and more inefficiently, sure, use an iPad.

My MacBook and iPad compliment each other perfectly, one does not replace the other. The fad will wear off ;)

A 11" MacBook Air, with retina display, 10 hour battery and 4G would be amazing for productivity.

xEnOnn

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
iPad most convenient when lying in bed ;)

Seriously? With that weight your hands while lying on the bed? I tried holding the iPad in the stores and have found it to be somewhat heavy. It isn't incredibly heavy like a the weight of a laptop, but the weight can tired my hands after some time.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My iPad has replaced 95% of what a laptop did for me. Only rarely do I need my laptop - and it's mostly to work on Microsoft Office files (.docx, .pptx) that don't convert cleanly to Pages and Keynote (though SlideShark does a great job of displaying .ppt/.pptx files on the iPad).

And I produce a reasonable amount of work on the iPad. I create whole Keynote lectures from scratch on the iPad. And with the Lightning to VGA dongle for on-the-go and an AppleTV box at work, I'm able to project my lectures quite easily. Type letters with Pages. Keep important documents in GoodReader. Produce diagrams with TouchDraw (may at some point spring for Omnigraffle for the iPad as I have it on my Mac). Convert complex Word files to PDFs with Adobe Create PDF. Remote desktop with iTeleport and Citrix. Note management with Evernote, which syncs perfectly with my Macs. And I keep hand-written notes in Noteshelf.

I get a substantial amount of "real work" done on my iPad.

Went from an original iPad to an iPad 2 to and iPad 3... Now I'm on an iPad mini and just as productive. But now even more portable.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
As a couch surfer, the iPad replaced my MB Air years ago. I use my MP for more heavy lifting.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Yep, totally. My iPad is much lighter than my MacBook Pro, so I can take it with me to work then onto my girlfriends house. I can still browse the web and check email, without getting back ache.

I'd opt for a desktop as my next mac, but when push comes to shove I want to be able to edit video, manage files and have my full itunes library away from home.

----------

How do you download torrent files?

Not everyone does this.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
My iPad will never replace my laptop -- my iPad is used for portability and light web browsing, small emails, and applications. My laptop is used for heavy computing tasks, organizing music/photo/video libraries, watching movies, typing long school papers, serious photo editing, making music, downloading music, and gaining access to outside of the walled Apple garden (I don't like jailbreaking my iOS devices).

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
BS.

Unless you're playing graphics intensive games for 5 hrs straight on full brightness, there's no way in hell your iPad only has a 5hrs of battery life. And if that were the case, your MBP would be quickly drained just the same. You must think we're all idiots here and don't use iPads.

lol I thought I posted that this is from my second iPad 3. My 1st iPad 3 which I bought new got around 8-10hrs even with playing movies and games. For some reason, my second iPad 3 which was the replacement iPad 3 I got because my first iPad3 had a black line across the screen (pre update) I've been only getting 4-5hrs of battery on this 2nd iPad 3. My kids even noticed the difference. My settings are the same as the previous iPad 3 and still I get 4-5hrs.

I'm not someone who just got a Mac or iPad just because I liked the cool videos. I've been using them since the 80s. I have my whole network around Apple products because of the software I use..... Heavy user is an understatement for me. lol I've worked on both platforms (Apple/Microsoft) and I know very well the similarities and difference.

Back to your statement.. I didn't mention my MBP because it was in the shop. However, I do know that when your battery is low on the iPad, you cannot charge it while using it. Which is why I would prefer working on the MBP better. I can work on the MBP while the battery charges. This is one of the reasons why I can't see the iPad replacing my Macbook. For example, if I'm on the go and using my iPad. The battery is low, so I plug it in to charge but still work on it. When I'm ready to go, my iPad's battery is not charged because I was using it. Even if my iPad got 10hrs on the charge, and some point I would have to allow it to charge. Sometimes that is not an option, so its best to have a MBP.

btw I'm returning my iPad 3 because it gets only 4-5hrs on a full battery charge. Oh and I goggled it.. I'm not the only one getting 5hrs on their iPad 3. Which makes me wonder why Apple came out with an iPad 4 months after the iPad 3. #toomanyproblems

what I said...
While I had my Macbook Pro in for repairs, I was using my Powerbook G4 and iPad. Although the iPad was faster than my PB, I wished I had my MBP. The PB was slow when viewing videos online. The iPad battery life sucks. For some reason I'm getting 5hrs. Then, you can't charge while using. On a MacBook you can. Uploading movies or videos can't on iPad. I mean you can, but if you have large files, you might as well get a Macbook.

Quick surfing was okay on the iPad... but for long use and for researching or editing I prefer Macbook. Also, youtube on an iPad sucks.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Back to your statement.. I didn't mention my MBP because it was in the shop. However, I do know that when your battery is low on the iPad, you cannot charge it while using it. Which is why I would prefer working on the MBP better. I can work on the MBP while the battery charges. This is one of the reasons why I can't see the iPad replacing my Macbook. For example, if I'm on the go and using my iPad. The battery is low, so I plug it in to charge but still work on it. When I'm ready to go, my iPad's battery is not charged because I was using it. Even if my iPad got 10hrs on the charge, and some point I would have to allow it to charge. Sometimes that is not an option, so its best to have a MBP...

what I said...

I can use my iPad while its charging. I'm doing it now. I'm confused by your statement.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Look in the preferences for uTorrent. I'm not on my home computer or else I'd screen cap it for you. When you find it, set the watch folder for a folder in your DropBox (must have a DropBox account).

Could you cap if when you get to your computer? I'd like to do this as well! Thanks! :D

KiranB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK
lol I thought I posted that this is from my second iPad 3. My 1st iPad 3 which I bought new got around 8-10hrs even with playing movies and games. For some reason, my second iPad 3 which was the replacement iPad 3 I got because my first iPad3 had a black line across the screen (pre update) I've been only getting 4-5hrs of battery on this 2nd iPad 3. My kids even noticed the difference. My settings are the same as the previous iPad 3 and still I get 4-5hrs.

I'm not someone who just got a Mac or iPad just because I liked the cool videos. I've been using them since the 80s. I have my whole network around Apple products because of the software I use..... Heavy user is an understatement for me. lol I've worked on both platforms (Apple/Microsoft) and I know very well the similarities and difference.

Back to your statement.. I didn't mention my MBP because it was in the shop. However, I do know that when your battery is low on the iPad, you cannot charge it while using it. Which is why I would prefer working on the MBP better. I can work on the MBP while the battery charges. This is one of the reasons why I can't see the iPad replacing my Macbook. For example, if I'm on the go and using my iPad. The battery is low, so I plug it in to charge but still work on it. When I'm ready to go, my iPad's battery is not charged because I was using it. Even if my iPad got 10hrs on the charge, and some point I would have to allow it to charge. Sometimes that is not an option, so its best to have a MBP.

btw I'm returning my iPad 3 because it gets only 4-5hrs on a full battery charge. Oh and I goggled it.. I'm not the only one getting 5hrs on their iPad 3. Which makes me wonder why Apple came out with an iPad 4 months after the iPad 3. #toomanyproblems

what I said...

I had the ipad 3 and gave it to my grandad before I got the ipad 4... The battery life on the 3 was around 8hours for me and sometimes More when not doing word docs or playing movies etc ... Maybe book a genius appt and get It checked out :)

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
iPad 1 replaced my laptop since 2010. I only use it when I need to work with Adobe apps like Photoshop or Illustrator, do renders with 3DSMax or 3D models with Solid Edge. Yeah, I'm an Industrial Designer.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I had the ipad 3 and gave it to my grandad before I got the ipad 4... The battery life on the 3 was around 8hours for me and sometimes More when not doing word docs or playing movies etc ... Maybe book a genius appt and get It checked out :)

Yup. My first iPad 3 was great. I even tested it out. Went on a 8hr flight, which ended up being a 12hr flight. Watched two movies and played several HD games while waiting during the lay over. Got to my destination and still had about 53% left on the battery. Battery was no problem. I had to return that iPad 3 because there was a black line on the screen. My 2nd iPad 3 I noticed battery would drain fast. I'm going to take it back, eventhough its a replacement iPad, it doesn't come close to what I had. Besides I had my 1st iPad 3 for 5 months without any heavy use.

I can use my iPad while its charging. I'm doing it now. I'm confused by your statement.

Yeah you can use it. But when you have it plugged into a power source and you're working/playing on the iPad.. it will not charge while in use. You can use the iPhone, iPod, etc while its charging but not an iPad.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Look in the preferences for uTorrent. I'm not on my home computer or else I'd screen cap it for you. When you find it, set the watch folder for a folder in your DropBox (must have a DropBox account).

Woot, I did!
thanks

Thats a plus to buy an imac!

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I leave my rMBP on my desk in my room, whereas everywhere else in the house, I'm using the iPad. In bed, living room, dining room, kitchen, etc.

Only time I carry my rMBP with me is if I need to actually get stuff done for work. Also, I only bring it into the living room, if I'm airplaying something to the iTV :D

----------

I sold my MacBook Pro after getting an iPad 4. I find my iMac and iPad 4 make the perfect team.

I could see myself doing this in a couple years. Getting rid of my rMBP. Getting an iMac for my desk and hopefully Apple makes some sort of Macbook/iPad hybrid. Combine iPad/MB into one and do all the heavy tasks on the iMac.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Yup. My first iPad 3 was great. I even tested it out. Went on a 8hr flight, which ended up being a 12hr flight. Watched two movies and played several HD games while waiting during the lay over. Got to my destination and still had about 53% left on the battery. Battery was no problem. I had to return that iPad 3 because there was a black line on the screen. My 2nd iPad 3 I noticed battery would drain fast. I'm going to take it back, eventhough its a replacement iPad, it doesn't come close to what I had. Besides I had my 1st iPad 3 for 5 months without any heavy use.

Yeah you can use it. But when you have it plugged into a power source and you're working/playing on the iPad.. it will not charge while in use. You can use the iPhone, iPod, etc while its charging but not an iPad.

I'm using iPad4 plugged now and it is charging.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

What do you use to download torrent files on the iPad? How do you move them to the dropbox folder?

tnx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.