Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duwsh

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I have finally convinced my mum to get me an iPhone 5 for my Birthday (Been asking for a contract phone for years) and can finally get rid of my horrible Android phone but I have a few questions:

1. Has the quality of the iPhone 5 improved?
I saw a lot of complaints about the scratches, scuffs and everything on the black iPhone 5 when bought, has this improved or is it the same?

2. Is it easy to scratch the iPhone 5 black?
-

3. Is it the same with the iPhone white?
-

4. Which colour would you suggest?
-

Thank you in advance.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Yes the quality is improved significantly

Yess black one scrathes more easily if you dont take care of the phone good enough

The materials of the black and white are same so the scrathing will be same also but on the white you just dont see the scratches scuff or etc beacuse of the color .

I get the white and I am extremely happy about it.But it is a personal choice so just go with the choice you want.

Duwsh

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Yes the quality is improved significantly

Yess black one scrathes more easily if you dont take care of the phone good enough

The materials of the black and white are same so the scrathing will be same also but on the white you just dont see the scratches scuff or etc beacuse of the color .

I get the white and I am extremely happy about it.But it is a personal choice so just go with the choice you want.

Thanks for the reply, I am happy to hear the quality improvement and I will probably go with the white, the thing is my mum says "White iPhones are for girls" and as much as I know she is wrong it's going to annoy me when she starts commenting...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got the white iPhone 5 after seeing my friends Black one. wasnt rly a fan of that "gothic" look and it already had some scuffing on the bezel while my white one is still fine

Duwsh

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
i got the white iPhone 5 after seeing my friends Black one. wasnt rly a fan of that "gothic" look and it already had some scuffing on the bezel while my white one is still fine
A friend of mine said his friend got a black one and it has scratches all over the back and never took it back, I really don't want to have to take it back as I am so impatient and like to get stuck into things straight away and a week of waiting for a phone doesn't sound that fun to me :/

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I believe white one looks more fancy and like a show off maybe .But I like the white one.Even when I go to a club and take out my phone everybody is into it and girls like it also ;) :D

Duwsh

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
I believe white one looks more fancy and like a show off maybe .But I like the white one.Even when I go to a club and take out my phone everybody is into it and girls like it also ;) :D

I love the shininess of the edge and apple logo, is really awesome :D

EDIT: Would anyone suggest a good case that protects from nicks and scratches?

Last edited:

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I would go with the white for this model, altough all my other Apple products have been black.
The white one keeps up for a longer period ( Visible scratches, and "Scuffing"/scratching )
A white phone isn't anything girlish or something, it's just the stereotyping. Boys get black iPhones, girls get whites. That's wrong in my opinion.
Choose which color suites you, I would go for the white one.

Hope this reply helped you a bit.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I've had my black/slate iohone 5 for over a month with no issues out if the cm box to now.

I don't use screen protectors.

I do use a bumper to add a little grip to the sucker.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
I have the white phone in a black flip leather pouch.....the colors contrast well unlike if it were "all black".

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

If people/women are into me because of my phone, then they probably aren't people I want to associate myself with.

But for the actual topic. I have a black one from launch day. I wouldn't say it scratches easy, but I also don't keep it around other metal objects (aside from setting it on my mac mini once in a while). Placing it on wooden desks/nightstands hasn't caused an issue. You will get a lot of different opinions on this honestly.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The black does NOT scratch easily. Not at all. There was (possibly) a batch with a faulty black anodized coating, but other then those, it is no more susceptible to scratching then ur car is. Mine was perfect on day one, and is still perfect today. But again, I haven't dropped it on concrete, or rubbed foreign metal objects all over it.

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
The black does NOT scratch easily. Not at all. There was (possibly) a batch with a faulty black anodized coating, but other then those, it is no more susceptible to scratching then ur car is. Mine was perfect on day one, and is still perfect today. But again, I haven't dropped it on concrete, or rubbed foreign metal objects all over it.

I hope your right about the faulty black anodized. After reading so much about scuffgate, I still went with the black/salte factory unlocked. I just like the black more then the white, even though I was incially gonna buy a white due to scuffgate. All my other devices are black.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California

How does the black iPhone have a "gothic" look to it? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Don't you worry: with every iPhone there's some sort of complaint and after a few weeks you hear no one about it (just like now). The thing is: this device sold millions in the first weekend alone, and than you're bound to have some complainers.

I've got a black iPhone 5 for something like two months now and there are no scratches/scuffs. And hey, if they do appear, let's not forget: it's an object. You're meant to use it.

Why black? I really like the look, and the antennaband is coloured as well so there's really very little contrast. It's the iPhone James Bond would choose.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I hope your right about the faulty black anodized. After reading so much about scuffgate, I still went with the black/salte factory unlocked. I just like the black more then the white, even though I was incially gonna buy a white due to scuffgate. All my other devices are black.

Check out my video on YouTube. A lot of holier then thou people gave me flack for doing it, but I was more then glad I did. I too was very weary about my decision to go with black at first. So I tried to scratch a display model at an AT&T store and couldn't even get it to mark a little but. Granted, I didn't scratch keys across it, or drag it over concrete, but u can see that it will hold up very well under normal use.

http://youtu.be/GxFx3xktAbQ

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
The latest production of iphone 5 are flawless they don't have any bend or scratch issues.

About the color I have a black iphone 5 but the other day I see a white one and it looks great.

I am sure that at first Apple think of selling the black iphone 5 with the same mirror like bezel as the white one because it looks amazing. But suddenly some one decided to paint the bezel on the black iphone and here comes the issues because it is too delicate if you have rings or other things like coins and keys.

Buy your iphone in the color you like and take care of it, remember that the black iphone is more delicate but it looks as great as the white one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.