Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barrett14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Are you guys sticking with the keyboard that it comes with? I would like more of a desktop feeling keyboard... Are you guys using any alternatives?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I use the Apple keyboard - but I dont understand your situations. Took me about 6 months to get use to the Apple keyboard.

bearsloft

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Not yet sure.

My keyboard is of the previous generation (it came with my white iMac) and it is much better for typing. I don't know for sure if I'll like typing in the newer style. I did elect to get the wired keyboard with the number pad. I insist on a number pad (at least for a desktop) and I like the extra USB ports. I assume they still have 2 USB ports on the back of the keyboard.

Bear

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
there are a few brands, but their names escape me, that do proper non flat keyboards with great feedback and feel, try googling them if someone else doesn't came up with a few names. And you can also google for a refurb old apple keyboard circa a few years ago, which again are much better than the flat **** they come out with now. Yeah I know they look good and modern, but there's a reason why people swear by their old powerbook keyboards or their current lenovo's keyboards, they are better... Unfortunately since now Tim Cook uses only an on screen keyboard to type, we should be glad we even get the flat ones it seems...

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
there are a few brands, but their names escape me, that do proper non flat keyboards with great feedback and feel, try googling them if someone else doesn't came up with a few names. And you can also google for a refurb old apple keyboard circa a few years ago, which again are much better than the flat **** they come out with now. Yeah I know they look good and modern, but there's a reason why people swear by their old powerbook keyboards or their current lenovo's keyboards, they are better... Unfortunately since now Tim Cook uses only an on screen keyboard to type, we should be glad we even get the flat ones it seems...

To offer a contrary opinion, I much prefer the new keyboard to the old one.

Hardly "Flat ****" to everyone, kid.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

Yeroon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Another thumbs up here for the Logitech K750. Still flat keys, but they feel better. And completely wireless including a numeric pad.

You can also use pc keyboards of course. The choices for a fullsize dedicated Mac keyboard are pretty limited. The Canadian firm Mattias makes a clone of the good old Apple keyboards, but it's pretty expensive and loud.

You can get used to Mac keyboards by the way.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
To offer a contrary opinion, I much prefer the new keyboard to the old one.

Hardly "Flat ****" to everyone, kid.

To each his own, some people will take Justin Bieber over Mozart. Don't it the wrong way, I am glad you like the flat keyboard, I 've hardly noticed anyone though swearing by their flat keyboards, whilst they do swear by lenovo's keyboards and other well implemented mechanical ones as things they couldn't do without.

edit:
Here's a great link op:
http://shawnblanc.net/2012/04/clicky-keyboards/
This guy has probably done the best mechanical keyboard comparison ever on this planet...

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Das Keyboard.

So long as you (a) work/play alone or (b) don't work/play alone but you don't whether anyone gets upset at the klickly klakety sounds.

Love mine. Just like the good old days.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
What's wrong with the Apple keyboard?

I'm really used to it, I find the 'chiclet'/'island-style' keys to be much easier to use.

With regular keys, I find that often I accidentally click more than one key because of the way the bottom of the keys meet, or because of the distance from between the tops of the keys and the 'trench' sort of thing in the middle, my fingers end up slipping and going into it. Or because of how far the keys go down, I hit the key below it as well.

The Apple keyboards don't seem to have these problems because the keys are more spaced, are shorter, and don't go down as far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.