Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
Hey Guys,

I am wondering with BTO Ultimate Spec's (2.7 l 16GB l 786GB) has ppl who got them did you all receive a Samsung panel with them?

So far what I read is that ppl who BTO the Ultimate Spec seem to have a higher chance of getting the Samsung display. Is this true?

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Hey Guys,

I am wondering with BTO Ultimate Spec's (2.7 l 16GB l 786GB) has ppl who got them did you all receive a Samsung panel with them?

So far what I read is that ppl who BTO the Ultimate Spec seem to have a higher chance of getting the Samsung display. Is this true?

I also observe that most BTO machines I see/read of, seem to been fitted with the Samsung Panel. This was one of the deciding factors of why I clicked for 16 GB RAM instead of the standard 8 - more chance of getting the Samsung panel. Ok ..... overpaid on the RAM ....but really didn't want to be lumbered with an LG panel and the hassle of retuning!

Last edited:

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
I also observe that most BTO machines I see/read of, seem to been fitted with the Samsung Panel. This was one of the deciding factors of why I clicked for 16 GB RAM instead of the standard 8 - more change of getting the Samsung panel. Ok ..... overpaid on the RAM ....but really didn't want to be lumbered with an LG panel and the hassle of retuning!

I ordered a 2.6/16/512 and got an LG, so it's still a lottery....

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
I ordered a 2.6/16/512 and got an LG, so it's still a lottery....

Mmm... So it seems :(
Maybe this whole LG thing is being blown out of proportion but I still retain my personal view that, LG for all its innovation, still can't produce panels on mass as well as Samsung.
If I had just paid put thousands and ended up with an LG panel rMBP.... That thing would be flying back to Shanghai ASAP'

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
Mmm... So it seems :(
Maybe this whole LG thing is being blown out of proportion but I still retain my personal view that, LG for all its innovation, still can't produce panels on mass as well as Samsung.
If I had just paid put thousands and ended up with an LG panel rMBP.... That thing would be flying back to Shanghai ASAP'

Yeah, I'm still on the fence. So far, mine does not exhibit the issue, but as I understand it, it takes some time. I'll likely send it back just to not have to worry about whether or not they will agree to replace it if/when this begins. What a fiasco. I wish I had read enough about this prior to ordering.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Yeah, I'm still on the fence. So far, mine does not exhibit the issue, but as I understand it, it takes some time. I'll likely send it back just to not have to worry about whether or not they will agree to replace it if/when this begins. What a fiasco. I wish I had read enough about this prior to ordering.

The time scale issue was a major factor for me. Any LG tv or display that has ever went bad on me has always been a few months down the line ( they were perfect when new) - when retuning is out of the question and then comes the whole logistics of repairs.

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
Mine was BTO, shipped from china on 13/11 and it did have LG. Image retention was visible after 2 days.

Went to apple store and got screen replaced but will pick up my laptop next week and will tell you what I got.

I think we cannot say that BTO machines are coming with samsungs only. There is stil 50/50 chance and apple didn't change a thing.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
All these returns and replacements can't be good for their bottom line though. I really am surprised they haven't done something about this yet. If people in forums can figure out Samsungs are behaving well and LGs aren't surely the engineers at Apple know better. Why they haven't acted on this is beyond my comprehension.

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
All these returns and replacements can't be good for their bottom line though. I really am surprised they haven't done something about this yet. If people in forums can figure out Samsungs are behaving well and LGs aren't surely the engineers at Apple know better. Why they haven't acted on this is beyond my comprehension.

meybe because it is a flagship macbook at the moment and having this kind of failure in public wouldn't do any more friends to apple?

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
thanks for the replies - as I said mine is a 2.7/16/768 and presumably has an LG screen.

Any way I can be totally sure?
And, without trawling the forums, is there a test for screen burn or whatever it is called?

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
thanks for the replies - as I said mine is a 2.7/16/768 and presumably has an LG screen.

Any way I can be totally sure?
And, without trawling the forums, is there a test for screen burn or whatever it is called?

Hey here it is run it on a gray background for about 10minutes or more..Read the instructions its all there.

The Checker Board Test:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1422669/

----------

Just got my 2.6/16/512 delivered today and it's samsung.

Nice you got lucky I am going with RMBP 15" 2.7/16/768 hoping for a Samsung.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I also observe that most BTO machines I see/read of, seem to been fitted with the Samsung Panel. This was one of the deciding factors of why I clicked for 16 GB RAM instead of the standard 8 - more chance of getting the Samsung panel. Ok ..... overpaid on the RAM ....but really didn't want to be lumbered with an LG panel and the hassle of retuning!

Paying more just to lower the chance of getting a defect screen? No offence, but Apple must laugh all the way to the bank when they see such devotion.

I do understand you though.

Haiku214

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
I've been using my rmbp for 6 months now and never really bothered checking who made my screen as I've never had any IR issues since. Today I just found out I have a samsung. I got mine on the first day it showed up on my local apple retail store (June 2012).

wicked45

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
hi everyone!

long time lurker, fist time poster. I ran the terminal command to check what lcd screen i have and i have an LG screen. last night, i ran the image retention test and i wasnt able to see any issues with my screen. may it be that my rMBP is still too new? for those with the LG lcd, when did you first notice the IR? should i go exchange my rMBP and hope that I will get one with the samsung lcd? thanks advance for any help or suggestion.

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
No, just go to apple store and they will replace the screen for you. No need to send the whole laptop back when only the screen is "faulty".

wicked45

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
how can tell them to replace the screen if i really dont see a problem? i know everyone is saying that if you get a rMBP with an LG, to go return it in hoping to get one with a samsung lcd. as for swapping out monitor, how would i know they will swap out with a samung lcd? its a brand new macbook so i have no data on there yet. would it be safer for me to just exchange it for whole new unit? dont really like the fact that i am paying that much and have to get something replaced already.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Paying more just to lower the chance of getting a defect screen? No offence, but Apple must laugh all the way to the bank when they see such devotion.

I do understand you though.

Now that I have the rMPB in hand it was worth the extra of the 16GB RAM, makes a big difference when running parallels or gaming.
Also my dislike for LG panels and the really not wanting to get into a returns loop made the RAM premium easy to swallow to secure the product I wanted.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
Hey guys, BTO doesn't guarantee a Samsung display. I had a 2.6/16/512 that was LG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.