Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Just seeing this today. Thanks for the great writeup. What's your experience/expectation with re-opening the case several times with regard to the double-sided sticky? Is it ultimately external rubber bands for closure?

I've been considering getting the Seagate thunderbolt sled, specifically to swap drives out for different projects, though it sounds like the biggest concern with that is lack of retention of the drive...rubber bands again.

Rubber bands certainly aren't the end of the world, but it's good to know what to expect.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Once you restick the double sided tape, it isn't as secure as the first time. There is a user on here that resorted to rubber bands as he did away with the double sided tape for the very reason you want the Seagate...hot swap...so closure could be done with very thin velcro.

It would be really cool is someone came up with a rubber surround like that of the LaCie Rugged so that it would stay together but have easier access.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Thanks for the quick reply. I've never personally owned a LaCie Rugged, but I've swapped out drives for other folks and found them solid to use and easy to open/close.

I still dream of a Pegasus setup, but that's so far down the road I can't see it. A nice setup of portable/swappable SSDs would be nice for mobile editing. I've also considered the LaCie eSATA thunderbolt hub to go with the cheap Macally 3.5" enclosures for a somewhat less mobile option.

ryoustra

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
RPM Speed on the MiniStations??

I've read elsewhere that the 500GB drive is 7200 RPM while the 1TB drive is 5400. Can anyone confirm that??

I called Buffalo yesterday and the guy I spoke with said they were BOTH 7200, which I'd almost think is incorrect given that this thread says the 1TB is 5400, as did the review posted at networkworld.com

rw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Both of my drives, 500GB and 1TB, had 5400RPM Samsung SpinPoint M8s in there.....Buffalo is giving misinformation.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
The 1TB is 5400 RPM, and there is more complexity after the case is opened, so definitely not as easy as using the Seagate.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I went with the Seagate TB desktop adaptor due to the fact that it had its own power supply. The 2.5" goFlex is apparently known to have issues with drives bigger than 256GB due to low power availibility from TB cable only. Computer lock-ups, etc.

Does anyone know if this Buffalo unit has the same power issues using SSD drives larger than 256GB? And is the Buffalo sata2 or sata3? Thanks!

rw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
The GoFlex Thunderbolt (portable) doesn't have any power issues if used with a shorter Thunderbolt Cable than the Apple. Many users one this forum have had ZERO issues with SSDs larger than 256GB once they went from the Apple Thunderbolt Cable (3.3m) to the Elgato Thunderbolt Cable (16-18"). My Buffalo came with a short 15" Thunderbolt Cable and also the USB 3.0 cable. The price might be a little high but you do get a $50 cable with it.

lozion

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
Montreal, Canada
You may see an additional 5-10MB/s with a 7200RPM drive. Where the 7200RPM is better than a 5400RPM is random reads and writes, not steady data. Density has gone up so speed differentials have decreased.

Right, txs. OWC has recently blogued about a slew of new Thunderbolt products coming soon. I'm sure we will see single 6G SSD enclosures at decent prices.

knightsabers

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
Based on the pictures, I decided to give it a try as well. Not as easy as it looks, Buffalo made it very firm with no intention for users to rip it apart. Some hinges may crack or break but thats a risk you decide to take when taking it apart.

The Buffalo Thunder bolt HD-PATU3 1TB
IMG_1499.jpg

Inside the box - USB 3.0 & Thunderbolt Cable
IMG_1500.jpg

It's rather thick if you compare it to a standard Buffalo drive.
IMG_1504.jpg

What I did was use some plastic cards at gently inserted them in gaps between the edges of the drive and once I had three cards firmly inserted. I then used a flat head screw driver and inserted that beneath a gap under the USB 3.0 port. Then levered it out till you hear the double sided tape give way and rip apart.
IMG_1507.jpg

Once you have pried it apart, it should look like this
IMG_1506.jpg

This is the difficult part, carefully but firmly remove each side of the joints holding the cover and the white casing
IMG_1514.jpg

Remove the four screws on each side of the metal casing
IMG_1515.jpg

Unscrew the two screws from the bottom
IMG_1516.jpg

Gently remove the hard drive from the connector
IMG_1517.jpg

The connector
IMG_1518.jpg

Insert SSD into the connector
IMG_1520.jpg

Plug the device into the thunderbolt port
IMG_1521.jpg

Testing if it functions
IMG_1523.jpg

Completed
IMG_1524.jpg

Estimated time taken was around 40 minutes, cost was around $238.59 for the Buffalo Drive and the SSD was around $199. Totals to $437.58 for this thunderbolt solution.

The Build quality of the Buffalo was excellent, The top is made from hard plastic and the bottom is Aluminum Unibody to match the MAC design.

Last edited:

varunkrish

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
I have a problem with this drive , got the 1TB version from Newegg. The transfer rate hits a cool 100-110MB/s over Thunderbolt but i'm getting only 35-40MB/s over USB 3.0

Problem is only have my rMBP with me right now and don't have another machine to test the drive on to figure out if its a rMBP/ Mac /Mountain Lion issue. It's not a HDD issue on the Buffalo drive as it hits 110MB/s on thunderbolt.

I suspected my rMBP and tested a lexar usb 3.0 usb drive and it crossed 80MB/s.

Should I contact buffalo tech support ?

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Perhaps your Buffalo drive does not support UAS on the USB 3.0 side. Or with your particular drive it is only connecting at USB 2.0 speeds. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI

Check Apple System Profiler to see if the drive reports being connected at 5Gbps or 480Mbps in the USB section.

Sometimes my Buffalo only connects at the lower USB 2.0 speed. This might be due to cable issues.

varunkrish

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
Perhaps your Buffalo drive does not support UAS on the USB 3.0 side. Or with your particular drive it is only connecting at USB 2.0 speeds. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI

Check Apple System Profiler to see if the drive reports being connected at 5Gbps or 480Mbps in the USB section.

Sometimes my Buffalo only connects at the lower USB 2.0 speed. This might be due to cable issues.

You hit the nail on the head, seems like a cable fault which occurs at unpredictable intervals. 5 mins back it was on USB 2.0 480Mbps and now USB 3.0 5Gbps

I'm not sure if it has got something to do with the USB 3.0 implementation on the rMBP as the drive seems to connect in USB 3.0 every time on my 2011 Windows Desktop with a Gigabyte motherboard.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTestbuffallo.png
    DiskSpeedTestbuffallo.png
    355.8 KB · Views: 82

mario24601

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Hey knightsabers, still happy with performance and setup? Have any issues come up for you? Still like this solution over the Seagate? Any post insight would be great, thanks!

Based on the pictures, I decided to give it a try as well. Not as easy as it looks, Buffalo made it very firm with no intention for users to rip it apart. Some hinges may crack or break but thats a risk you decide to take when taking it apart.

The Buffalo Thunder bolt HD-PATU3 1TB
Inside the box - USB 3.0 & Thunderbolt Cable

It's rather thick if you compare it to a standard Buffalo drive.

What I did was use some plastic cards at gently inserted them in gaps between the edges of the drive and once I had three cards firmly inserted. I then used a flat head screw driver and inserted that beneath a gap under the USB 3.0 port. Then levered it out till you hear the double sided tape give way and rip apart.

Once you have pried it apart, it should look like this

This is the difficult part, carefully but firmly remove each side of the joints holding the cover and the white casing

Remove the four screws on each side of the metal casing

Unscrew the two screws from the bottom

Gently remove the hard drive from the connector

The connector

Insert SSD into the connector

Plug the device into the thunderbolt port

Testing if it functions

Completed
Estimated time taken was around 40 minutes, cost was around $238.59 for the Buffalo Drive and the SSD was around $199. Totals to $437.58 for this thunderbolt solution.

The Build quality of the Buffalo was excellent, The top is made from hard plastic and the bottom is Aluminum Unibody to match the MAC design.

knightsabers

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
No performance issues yet. Upgraded to mountain lion whilst using it as an external boot drive, no issues occurred. I think the seagate solution isn't as messy but the build quality on the case felt better on the buffalo.

After installing a SSD into the Buffalo, I noticed faster application & boot performance on the iMac. I would recommend using a longer thunderbolt cable as the one included is rather short.

This is definitely worth considering as boot drive solution for those who want faster performance on the iMac or fast external hard disk.

sarangiman

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
Buffalo MiniStation w/ 512GB or 480GB SSD?

Great information here.

But has anyone tested to see if the Buffalo Ministation works reliably over Thunderbolt (or USB) with a larger capacity SSD, e.g. a 512GB (Samsung 830) or a 480GB (Intel 520) SSD?

There was some talk that the power requirement of larger drives would cause disconnections over Thunderbolt in such enclosures, e.g. using the Seagate Portable Thunderbolt adapter.

Thanks in advance!

cxc

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2007
Cologne, Germany
Hey guys,

any news on larger (500gb) capacity drives in the Buffalo enclosure?
Did any standalone enclosure from OWC materialize in the meantime?

thank you, CXC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.