Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I've been an Android user for years. Currently own a Nexus 4. The launch fiasco combined with the massive size of it have me, for the first time ever, considering an iPhone. I did a search and read a lot of posts about pros/cons of the platforms and am still uncertain. If you have switched from Android to iPhone, or vice versa, could you please post what you view as the top 3-5 things you like and/or miss about each system?

For me, I think it would be something like this:

iPhone: 1) perfect size, 2) regular, reliable OS updates, 3) it "just works," 4) better battery life.

Android:1) widgets, 2) quick toggles for wifi/gps/bluetooth etc, 3) custom keyboards such as Swype, 4) notification LED! (at least on some Androids), 5) Google Maps!

Overall, I think there are more pros to android than there are to iOS, in terms of sheer numbers. However, the pros to iOS to me are more significant. For instance, I don't know why, but I just HATE the huge crop of 4.7" android phones that dominate the high-end androids these days. I think I'd give up, e.g., widgets and quick toggles for a reasonably-sized phone if I had the choice.

Anyways, would love to see succinct list of what other users of both operating systems think. And, if you switched from Android to iPhone, please let me know if you are overall happy or unhappy with the iPhone.

Thanks!

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Your list seems to be good, Personally i like the Apple maps but i use the Garmin app for navigation since its better then both google and apple maps. Games are also much better on the iPhone because of Game Center (Thats if you like playing games, Makes for better competition with friends).

I always got annoyed with my S3's notification light (woke me up at night all the time) so i am much happier without it. size of the iphone is a major plus especially when i go running with the runtastic app. The number one thing i prefer about my iPhone is the integration between all my other apple devices is flawless.

Wigets were good and android has the better notification for toggling. Other then that i cant think of anything else that i miss.

Last edited by a moderator:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
iPhone

1. Design
2. Ecosystem
3. Customer Support

Android

1. Features
2. Customization
3. Notification System

internetguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
s3 to ip5 here
well ppl told me to change to note 2 cuz its bigger screen but a phone is a phone
if i am using the s3 and note 2 so much why not just use a bigger tablet or a mbp or laptop?

its funny cuz i heard someone asked another note 2 user "did you get multi view for the note2" and i asked them why do you need multi task so much, and how much stuff you need to do on the go?

if you really doing some quaility work, why not just sit down in a cafe or soemwher and work on your stuff more?

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
s3 to ip5 here
well ppl told me to change to note 2 cuz its bigger screen but a phone is a phone
if i am using the s3 and note 2 so much why not just use a bigger tablet or a mbp or laptop?

its funny cuz i heard someone asked another note 2 user "did you get multi view for the note2" and i asked them why do you need multi task so much, and how much stuff you need to do on the go?

if you really doing some quaility work, why not just sit down in a cafe or soemwher and work on your stuff more?

So you are happy with the switch?

And no I'm not a fanboy of either platform. In fact I'm kind of annoyed with Google right now for what a failure the nexus 4 launch was. I've been thinking of making the switch to iPhone for awhile and this might just be the motivating event. I posted this thread because I know sometimes you don't think you'll miss something until it's already gone, so I'm seeking the collective knowledge of those that have gone before me. I think that widgets, toggles, and maps are really the only things I'll miss a lot. But I'm thinking camera, form factor, and battery will more than make up for it.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
I really want an iphone5 but the only 2 things that are making me hesitant are the lack of flashing notification like BB has.. I read you can do it flash but it's just once or twice; I like it blinking continuously because I always have my ringer off.... I love that red blinking light (although I know some folks hate it). I need it cause my ringer is never on and not a lot of people call/text/email me so its not on all day either. I don't want to have touch the phone everytime and wake up the screen to check notifications; i like it to blink the entire time.

Second thing is that iphone doesn't have a hard back button but one in the upper left corner... which may take getting used to since I have one on my BB

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I really want an iphone5 but the only 2 things that are making me hesitant are the lack of flashing notification like BB has.. I read you can do it flash but it's just once or twice; I like it blinking continuously because I always have my ringer off.... I love that red blinking light (although I know some folks hate it). I need it cause my ringer is never on and not a lot of people call/text/email me so its not on all day either. I don't want to have touch the phone everytime and wake up the screen to check notifications; i like it to blink the entire time.

Second thing is that iphone doesn't have a hard back button but one in the upper left corner... which may take getting used to since I have one on my BB

I had a galaxy s2 with no notification LED and I got used to it pretty quickly. Prefer LED but think I can live without. Also I think you'd get used to no hard back button pretty quickly. Overall I wouldn't let either of those things slow you down at all.

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010
I think the problem with stuff like this is that it's impossible to really know whether you'll enjoy a phone or not based off reading other people's reactions. You have to live with a phone for a while to really appreciate or dislike what it does.

For instance, I LOOOOOOVE iPhone. Always have. I've had just about every smartphone imaginable, but I always returned to Apple. Recently a co-worker got a Note 2, I played with it for a bit and was VERY impressed. The usual objections started cropping up in my head, at least for an iPhone user, but I liked the phone enough to give it a go.

So I'm currently using a Note 2 for work, and have a 5 for personal. Increasingly the 5 never sees the light of day. I've found that Android, at least Samsung's take on it, has become every bit as fluid and usable as iOS. For once the features that Android has over iPhone actually work because the phone has beastly specs (this is an instance where specs actually mean something because all of these neat features wouldn't matter if they ran like sludge). There isn't a single thing the iPhone does better than the Note 2. Nothing. Even ecosystem doesn't cut it as a reason to not switch. In fact, with the new lighting ports, a great many of my legacy devices are useless now (yes, I can buy adapters, and have, but the point remains: in this day and age, you're not really locked into anything anymore).

So, I know what some are thinking: how the HELL do you pocket that thing? It's a fair question, and I won't lie: it's awkward at times. However, like with anything else you just get used to it and do things a little differently. There are times that I grimace and just wish I had an iPhone to slip into my pocket. But then I look at that gorgeous screen, fly around on that phone using its multitasking, and use that awesome notification system...it makes up for the creature comfort of a phone that slides into my pocket.

I really don't want this to come across as knocking the iPhone. I still own one and I have no doubt I'll own the next one that comes out, and at somet point it wouldn't surprise me if it becomes my daily driver again. But using the Note 2, I've come tot he conclusion that despite the strong sales, Apple is unfortunately lagging.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
I had a galaxy s2 with no notification LED and I got used to it pretty quickly. Prefer LED but think I can live without. Also I think you'd get used to no hard back button pretty quickly. Overall I wouldn't let either of those things slow you down at all.

If I had my ringer off all the time wouldn't it it take a long time for me to see what calls i missed or who texted me if I had to wake up the screen at my leisure though instead of it blinking? If I forget to check it consistently I might miss a text by a few hours whereas if it's blinking i would notice it right away?

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
If I had my ringer off all the time wouldn't it it take a long time for me to see what calls i missed or who texted me if I had to wake up the screen at my leisure though instead of it blinking? If I forget to check it consistently I might miss a text by a few hours whereas if it's blinking i would notice it right away?

You pretty quickly learn that you have to turn the screen on every so often to check for notifications. Not really a huge deal... Although seriously I'm not sure why every phone doesn't have a notification LED... Just with an option to turn it off at night or whatever.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
bought my dad the blackberry 9900 today. such a sweet phone man i forgot how little those phones can be they fit so perfectly in the pocket and it was built like a tank. i got the iphone 5 today and im not impressed at all. my old htc one x screen was like the garden of eden compared to this "retina display" lol i think it has lower PPI. the only thing apple has going for it is how nice it goes with all the macbook/apple tv products so ecosystem and then just battery life.

with android if someone texts you an address you can just click on it and it sends u right to google maps and decides if you wan directions or navigation. there is a dedicated settings menu for every page and i miss that the most... i dont even know how to add my google calander to this iphone. i keep forgetting that google isnt huge into apple anymore and its making me miss it. the only last reason i bought this phone is because of how freaking expensive this thing is gonna sell for when i unlock it;]

bimmerboii

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
iPhone

1. Design
2. Ecosystem
3. Customer Support

Android

1. Features
2. Customization
3. Notification System

Pretty spot on. Im mainly an Android guy, never owned an iPhone until the 5 came out. Although I was already pretty familiar with iOS since my wife and family all use iPhones and iPads. Yes I felt awkward on family gatherings when sometimes they talk about apps and they bring out all their phones, or when I need to recharge my phone and all they have is the 30pin charger. So i had to bring a microUSB cable along with me wherever I go. You get the picture. lol

Now I use the iPhone 5 as my main phone. Having the latest tech is such an expensive hobby of mine. I am fortunate enough to afford and keep two phones. I was lucky I was able to order the new Nexus 4 and replace my HTC One X.

The 4" screen of the iPhone 5 felt small compared to what im used to. But after a few days of using it i got used to the size. Also, battery life is better than any of my previous Android devices.

Here are my opinions on iOS & Android out of the box:

-Ease of use and out of the box experience: They both "Just Work". To be honest, Android has more features out of the box. They are both easy to use and intuitive, but in their own respective ways.

-Multi Tasking/ memory management: Even if Android is known for multi tasking, I honestly think that iOS does it better. If you have many apps open in Android, it will automatically start closing apps to free up memory. This results to the app "reloading" when you switch back to it. I have not experienced this yet with iOS.

-File Management: Android is a lot easier when it comes to file management. Simple drag & drop without the need for any application. (ie iOS needs iTunes to transfer files) Also with Android you can browse your files and move them around, put them in folders, etc.

-Smoothness: If you are used to Android and switch to iOS, you will see the difference. Even having Jelly Bean with "project butter" on my Asus Transformer TF300, I still experienced lag throughout the UI. (Although I am still waiting for my Nexus 4, which is getting great reviews on iOS like smoothness)

-Web Browsing: I find Safari & Chrome to be equal in browsing speed. Smoothness however, wins on Safari. They both can sync bookmarks with your mac or pc. Although the bigger screens of Android devices offer more content and less zooming.

Edit: Bookmarks sync of iOS and PC is actually limited. You can only sync bookmarks with Internet Explorer and can not sync open tabs.

-Apps: To be honest, are equal in my opinion. The apps I use on my iPhone are available on my Android phone too. Yes iOS has more apps but im pretty sure most of the apps are not worth installing. Same goes for Android's Play store too.

-Gaming: iOS has more QUALITY games. A lot of these games are not available on Android. But Android is slowly starting to get there. Although I have to hand it to Android for allowing game controllers, mouse & keyboard connectivity. Also the bigger screens are more comfortable for gaming.

-UI (User Interface): This is where Android wins hands down. Widgets are just so useful. If you go on saying you do not like widgets, chances are you never owned one long enough to experience the convenience it offers. iOS on the other hand, feels old. Yes the iPhone 5 is my first iPhone device. But seeing my wife and family go through generations of iPod Touch'es and iPhones they honestly look boring and dull. But at the same time the UI just works perfectly.

-Updates: Apple has the edge when it comes to updating its products. Everyone gets the update at the same time which is a huge plus for me. Android on the other hand, is like playing the waiting game. With so many choices out there, some devices get updated while some are still waiting for the update (same device but bought in a different country). This is why I will only buy a Nexus phone from now on. Updates are straight from google.

Last edited:

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
1. iphone 5 much more reliable and smooth than any android phone out there
2. iphone 5 much more reliable and smooth than any android phone out there
3. iphone 5 much more reliable and smooth than any android phone out there

if you need a phone that work every time you need it to work, its a clear choice

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010

if you need a phone that work every time you need it to work, its a clear choice

This was true a couple of years ago. The "Just works" argument doesn't hold water anymore. The best examples of Android are as smooth and reliable as iOS.

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
This was true a couple of years ago. The "Just works" argument doesn't hold water anymore. The best examples of Android are as smooth and reliable as iOS.

no they are not, i recently tried the nexus 7 (quad core) and the galexy s3 , and they are NOT as smooth as my ipad 2, mini and iphone 5, especially in the video playback department.

Axious

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Somewhere in the world

Don't get too hyper guy. Android is evolving quickly im sure it will reach the level of smoothness and reliability ios delivers

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

Not true, I had androids flagship phone the S3 before getting the iPhone 5 and that got laggy every so often. It is definitely not as stable as iOS.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
The biggest pro for iOS is Apple's support. With Android, you have to go through carriers and maybe call/email the manufacturer.

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010
Not true, I had androids flagship phone the S3 before getting the iPhone 5 and that got laggy every so often. It is definitely not as stable as iOS.

My iPhone 5's Safari crashes constantly. I've had zero lag/crashes on my Note 2. In fact, I've had plenty of iOS apps crash back to the home screen. I don't think you're using the term "stable" properly.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
My iPhone 5's Safari crashes constantly. I've had zero lag/crashes on my Note 2. In fact, I've had plenty of iOS apps crash back to the home screen. I don't think you're using the term "stable" properly.

When I had my iPad 3, apps would consistently crash as well. Same with safari, with just one window open browsing macrumors. No issues at all with my Note 2.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
For me, I think it would be something like this:

iPhone: 1) perfect size, 2) regular, reliable OS updates, 3) it "just works," 4) better battery life.

Android:1) widgets, 2) quick toggles for wifi/gps/bluetooth etc, 3) custom keyboards such as Swype, 4) notification LED! (at least on some Androids), 5) Google Maps!

I just switched to the Galaxy Note 2 from an iPhone 4.

Went for the larger sized screen and expandable memory. I also wanted to replace my iPad with a single device.

iOS works pretty good, but it's definitely behind the curve in terms of innovation. I also found it to be restrictive in terms of what you can do. If you don't want mind these limitations, iOS is an OK choice.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
One important feature for me is the front facing camera (for self pics/shots)...

It seems like Iphone5 takes better self shots?

I know that S3 has a feature to stop the shaking when taking self pics etc... but who has the better front facing camera for self pics?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

Then I don't know what to tell you, I have yet to have an app crash on my iPhone but with my S3 they were Always closing and lagging. What is 2gb of ram for if it can't manage memory properly.

----------

One important feature for me is the front facing camera (for self pics/shots)...

It seems like Iphone5 takes better self shots?

I know that S3 has a feature to stop the shaking when taking self pics etc... but who has the better front facing camera for self pics?

I know the iphone has an HD front camera. I am not sure about the S3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.