Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpmandds

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Ohio
I would love thinner bezels but the weight isn't an issue some of you guys on here need to hit the weight rooms jeez lol

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I like the bezel as is. I don't want thinner and lighter if it reduces the quality, performance, battery life. An iPad in a slim fit shoulderbag isn't exactly backbreaking!

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I like the look of the retina iPad. Sure it's not über small and light like the mini, but it feels sturdier and better made in my opinion. The iPad 4 feels like a laptop replacement, while the mini feels like an ereader.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I've got no complaints. Sure, it could be lighter and thinner, but it is already pretty light and thin. The bezel does not bother me one bit. How else am I going to hold it? It works on the Mini, because it is so small and lightweight, but I doubt that will work well on the iPad.

But, whatever. I'll be happy with anything along these lines. To my eyes, the iPad is pretty much perfect given the technological (battery) constraints.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I agree with you on the bezel size. Considering that the full-size iPad is meant to be held with two hands more often, it would mean that the current bezel is a better option.

But considering that iPhone 5, iPad mini both utilized thinner bezels, I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly thinner bezel, but not overly thinner.

as for the iPad being thin, I don't think we should anything more than 15% thinner. Making it too thin also would affect the heat dissipation. As it is, currently the iPad 4th generation hits temperature around 35C -39C. IGZO & MEMS technology could reduce the power consumption, and reduce the requirement of dual LED backlight to a single LED backlight. As somebody already pointed out, the battery size should come down, thereby reducing the weight. The approach would depend on Apple's plan of just retaining the 10-12 hour, or using the a slightly reduced battery size, and showing a massive improvement in the battery life.

I am hoping for a weight reduction of around 40%, which should bring the weight around 392g from 652g. Anything more would be a bonus.

As for the LTE models, I think they may switch into Qualcomm Gobi MDM9625, which should make it truly LTE friendly.

Can't wait for the launch in mid-2013.

Weight reduction of 40% would be absolutely ground breaking - I would love it to be that light

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I already get too many false screen taps when my thumbs intrude too far onto the screen ... quite aggravating. I would vote to keep the bezel just as it is, if I had a vote.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Its tiring to use it when im laying down on bed

So is a non-paperback book, if you're holding it in the air.

When I'm reading a book in bed, the book is usually touching the bed, thus weight is not a concern. Same with the iPad.

If you NEED to hold a book in the air while reading, then you NEED to use eReaders like the iPad Mini.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
The iPod is tiring to hold in the air! Prop the iPad up on your man boobs, your gut, or whatever other body parts work best for you. Problem solved. A thinner bezel and a lighter iPad aren't going to help much for this.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
I certainly do.... The current regular ipad is too heavy to lug around, whereas the ipad mini compromises too much on its screen size

What? And how would you hold the iPad if not for the bezel??? :rolleyes:

It's fine as it is. The weight is perfect too.

Last edited:

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Me. I'd like to see the one piece of see through glass tablet lmao.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Tbh I rather see a 7.9 Retina display iPad Mini.

Now that I think about it, I would probably carry around a MBA/MBP if I actually wanted to do work.

iPad is more for media consumption and I could see a 7-inch tablet a lot more easier to take around or even at home.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Arguably, the glass and the aluminum are the heaviest components of an iPad, probably followed by the battery and magnets.

Drastically reduce the bezels would you allow to get rid of a lot of heavy glass - and aluminum.

Uhh, no.. The heaviest component is the battery and the screen itself. The aluminum is much lighter than you think, it's of really thin construction. So is the glass.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I think that an iPad 5 with the same weight and thickness of iPad 2 is the perfect iPad.
No need for bezel reduction .

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Uhh, no.. The heaviest component is the battery and the screen itself. The aluminum is much lighter than you think, it's of really thin construction. So is the glass.

Uh, yes. The glass is heavier than the display itself. It's one of the heaviest components together with the total aluminum and battery.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Uh, yes. The glass is heavier than the display itself. It's one of the heaviest components together with the total aluminum and battery.

Let's see, you mentioned; glass, aluminum and battery. Thanks for your insight.

The heaviest single component in an iPad is the battery.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Let's see, you mentioned; glass, aluminum and battery. Thanks for your insight.

The heaviest single component in an iPad is the battery.
Thanks for your genius insight. I never said that the battery was not the heaviest component.

I was merely stating that the glass and aluminum are also quite heavy (while that other guy said it was light and stuff).

I never said that the battery wasn't heavy. But hey, luckily we have people like you. You know. Geniuses with insight.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Thanks for your genius insight. I never said that the battery was not the heaviest component.

I was merely stating that the glass and aluminum are also quite heavy (while that other guy said it was light and stuff).

I never said that the battery wasn't heavy. But hey, luckily we have people like you. You know. Geniuses with insight.

My meager skills pale in comparison to yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.