Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
I wanna get the 5 but reading these threads about bent 5's is freaking me out lol. I mean how much pressure does it take to bend one?

Another thing what's up with this excessive data usage because of LTE? I'm on AT&T with 2 GB's of data.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I wanna get the 5 but reading these threads about bent 5's is freaking me out lol. I mean how much pressure does it take to bend one?

Another thing what's up with this excessive data usage because of LTE? I'm on AT&T with 2 GB's of data.

Stop reading these dumb posts. It doesn't bend easily.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Saying the 5 is only "marginally faster" is like saying Usain Bolt is "marginally faster" than Honey Boo-Boo.

You did make me laugh though.

There is no discussion. The 4S has just as many "problems" but the OCD fanboy crowd has largely moved on to the 5 now so they aren't talked about:

Yellow Screens
Battery Issues
Shattered Backs
Wifi Issues

Do a forum search for October of 2011 and you'd think the 4 was better than the 4S lol.

Just a bunch of rabid OCD'ers complaining for the sake of complaining. Did you ever think that if any of theses issues (real or not) were an actual problem that you might have seen an impact on sales?

Right. There has been NONE. Buy the 5 FFS!

There is no comparison. Except they're both iPhones lol...

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Saying the 5 is only "marginally faster" is like saying Usain Bolt is "marginally faster" than Honey Boo-Boo.

You did make me laugh though.

There is no discussion. The 4S has just as many "problems" but the OCD fanboy crowd has largely moved on to the 5 now so they aren't talked about:

Yellow Screens
Battery Issues
Shattered Backs
Wifi Issues

Do a forum search for October of 2011 and you'd think the 4 was better than the 4S lol.

Just a bunch of rabid OCD'ers complaining for the sake of complaining. Did you ever think that if any of theses issues (real or not) were an actual problem that you might have seen an impact on sales?

Right. There has been NONE. Buy the 5 FFS!

There is no comparison. Except they're both iPhones lol...

Not sure I would use the Usain Bolt and Honey Boo-Boo analogy. It isn't like the 4s isn't a good option at this point.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008

I find the whole bending iPhone 5 stuff to be pretty ridiculous. I've had one since release (pre-order) and it has not bent at all... not even in the slightest. I've been treating it just like the iPhones before it.

The impression I've got: a minority of users have exerted a more-than-normal amount of pressure on their iPhones (which they think is acceptable), resulting in the devices bending. For example, they might have put the phone in their back pocket (a very stupid thing to do) and sat on it, and they're not admitting it.

Seriously, the iPhone 5 has by far the best build quality of any phone I've ever experienced (and trust me, I've owned or handled my fair share of smartphones) and the concept of somehow bending the device seems utterly bizarre to me, under normal use, of course.

Obviously, aluminium can bend! But it's not like beer can thickness or aluminium quality that we're dealing with here.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Thanks so much for all the replies!

I was actually kinda leaning towards the 4S but some of you guys bring up some really good points. The thing that scares me about the 32 GB 4S is it's no longer in production so an Apple guy told me.

So say I had some kind of technical issue or something went wrong with the phone I'm not sure how they would replace it if I was within my return period?

The thing that's scares me about the 5 is I've heard so much negative things about it such as scuffs bending wifi signal drops and the screen freezing up when scrolling fast. But like some of you said some of those problems are being over exaggerated.

Say I go with the 5 is there something in the serial number I should look for or ask for?

They have iPhone 3GS replacements available at Apple Genius Bar TODAY. That's for Apple to manage, not you.

I can't think of any reason, even price, to go with the 4S.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I find the whole bending iPhone 5 stuff to be pretty ridiculous. I've had one since release (pre-order) and it has not bent at all... not even in the slightest. I've been treating it just like the iPhones before it.

The impression I've got: a minority of users have exerted a more-than-normal amount of pressure on their iPhones (which they think is acceptable), resulting in the devices bending. For example, they might have put the phone in their back pocket (a very stupid thing to do) and sat on it, and they're not admitting it.

Seriously, the iPhone 5 has by far the best build quality of any phone I've ever experienced (and trust me, I've owned or handled my fair share of smartphones) and the concept of somehow bending the device seems utterly bizarre to me, under normal use, of course.

Obviously, aluminium can bend! But it's not like beer can thickness or aluminium quality that we're dealing with here.

or put their phone in the pocket of their ridiculously tight pants that don't even allow breathing room!

but seriously all these so called "issues" everyone are hearing about and how they seem like almost everyone is having them is because people will just go forums to complain about problems. The ones that are happy with their device have no reason to complain and so they dont come on these forums.

I have no problem as all with my iPhone 5 it has been in perfect condition since the day i bought it.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
or put their phone in the pocket of their ridiculously tight pants that don't even allow breathing room!

but seriously all these so called "issues" everyone are hearing about and how they seem like almost everyone is having them is because people will just go forums to complain about problems. The ones that are happy with their device have no reason to complain and so they dont come on these forums.

I have no problem as all with my iPhone 5 it has been in perfect condition since the day i bought it.

Exactly. It's very easy to get a negative impression when browsing these forums. Pretty much everything here should be taken with a heavy dose of salt!

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
I finally made a decision. I chose a black 32 GB iPhone 5 : )

It does have one really really small nick at the top but its no big deal. The longer screen is kinda strange at first but it's growing on me.

I just seen on Macrumors that Best Buy is offering 50 dollars off all iPhone 5's. I picked this one up at the Apple store.
Does anyone know if the Apple store will give me some kind of price match? I paid $299.99 for this one and it would be kinda nice to get 50 bucks back.

Also how can I tell when this phone was manufactured?

Thanks for all the replies and advice :)

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Not sure I would use the Usain Bolt and Honey Boo-Boo analogy. It isn't like the 4s isn't a good option at this point.

When comparing speed it's MORE than fair. I never said the 4S wasn't decent (I loved mine), just that the 5 obliterates it in nearly every area (with the lone exception that it shows minor imperfections slightly easier... big whoop).

Speed wise, there is NO comparison between the 4S and the 5. The 4S may be adequate, sure, but the 5 is a different animal entirely (and more than TWICE as fast). So to say speed is only marginally different IS like saying Usain Bolt is only "marginally" faster than Honey Boo Boo.

The 5 is superior in almost every other way too, but speed especially...

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Unless you decide to exhibit the spastic and irrational habit of sitting on your iPhone, the iPhone 5 does not bend that easily, contrary to lots of over-blown threads in this forums regarding this issue.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The only significant things I have seen that use more data because of LTE would be video apps like Netflix/YouTube that give you better quality based on your bandwidth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.