Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
As a student I also don't have a ton of money and understand his frustration this has happened to me. I think he specifically asked the rep the question so this wouldn't happen and she was just misinformed. Things happen in life just take it as a learning situation and move on it won't do any good brooding on it because things like this happen all through life.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
It sounds like the transaction went as it should have but there was a misunderstanding. When you use a debit card like a credit card it behaves as such. It would be foolish to not authorize the card because it could have been declined at a later time and Apple would be out the phone.

There should be no hard feelings and it should be considered a lesson learned as others have said.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I really don't understand why people EVER would give debit card or checking account information to ANYONE over the phone or internet.

That's what CREDIT CARDS are for.

People really need to get more financially literate.
And they need to understand that words and promises mean nothing. It doesn't matter what they tell you, what things they're going to do or not to do. If you give out debit card or checking account information, you are practically asking to be screwed.

-t

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
I really don't understand why people EVER would give debit card or checking account information to ANYONE over the phone or internet.

And they need to understand that words and promises mean nothing. It doesn't matter what they tell you, what things they're going to do or not to do. If you give out debit card or checking account information, you are practically asking to be screwed.

-t

They guy already explained, he's only 18 and his limits are not enough on his credit cards.

internetguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
but what do you expect apple will do?
if you only have like 500 in the account and should they wait for your 200 when a year later you have the money to pay them back?

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
but what do you expect apple will do?
if you only have like 500 in the account and should they wait for your 200 when a year later you have the money to pay them back?

Well, there's an easy solution: send in the broken iPhone, and only once Apple has received it, they ship out the replacement.

Hassle ? Sure.

But you could always visit an Apple Store in person if that doesn't work for you.

What else would you expect ? You're teen, have no credit card and low balance on a checking account ? Apple is not just going to send you a new iPhone on your promise to return the broken one.

-t

internetguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
as the OP said he can't use any money on the weekend, but how much money do you need to use if you are a teen?

why not just stay home for couple of days so you don't spend money?

Blacklabel34

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Orange County
Seems fair to me. Apple is sending you another phone and they ran an authorization for $700 in case you don't return one of them. I'm guessing you used a debit card. When you use a debit card the funds are pulled out of your account immediately but thats the nature of how a debit card works.

jacksonkeller

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009

-t
+1

It's tough when everyone around you has cool stuff, and you want it too. But if you can't even get a credit card with a $700 limit, maybe you should have a dumb phone with a talk and text plan. Not an iPhone that is going to cost you $700 or more a year. Sorry to go all "old man- told you so" on you. Just try to be smarter about finances as you get older and you'll turn out ok......

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
If you used a credit card you wouldn't even notice but since you gave them your checking account then those funds are locked till you return your old defective phone.

Even with a credit card you'll see the hold. He just need to talk to the right rep... I have don't replacements before and they never put a hold.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
How in the world does these threads become holier-than-thou teachable moments? Hahaha. The OP isn't spending money he doesn't have, he's merely getting a replacement on a defective device he already paid for. Where his gripe remains is that Apple is holding even more cash hostage on his account as he sends in the defective phone under warranty. If everything checks out, as it should, his money will be released and all is well, but for the moment he's in dire straits since there isn't $700 in his account, especially since Apple explicitly said this would not happen. I completely understand this.

A good rule of thumb going forward for now for apple products is that unless its a hardware problem that hinders the usage of the device on the basic level (i.e. no Internet connection, can't make calls, absolutely no sound, etc.), make time to go to an Apple Store to get it switched out there. It could be a hassle, but it would stop this from ever happening again.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
How in the world does these threads become holier-than-thou teachable moments? Hahaha. The OP isn't spending money he doesn't have, he's merely getting a replacement on a defective device he already paid for. Where his gripe remains is that Apple is holding even more cash hostage on his account as he sends in the defective phone under warranty. If everything checks out, as it should, his money will be released and all is well, but for the moment he's in dire straits since there isn't $700 in his account, especially since Apple explicitly said this would not happen. I completely understand this.

A good rule of thumb going forward for now for apple products is that unless its a hardware problem that hinders the usage of the device on the basic level (i.e. no Internet connection, can't make calls, absolutely no sound, etc.), make time to go to an Apple Store to get it switched out there. It could be a hassle, but it would stop this from ever happening again.

I agree and I hope TC learned a valuable lesson.

although the funny thing to me is that he literally asked the question so he knows of this practice.f

actually, i just reread the first post, the TC said this

"However she made it clear that I wouldn't be billed unless they didn't receive it."

ya you weren't billed TC no misunderstanding at all

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
those imbeciles did the same thing to me with an apple charger that was getting replaced. i SPECIFICALLY ASKED HEY BRO ! are you going to charge my card ?! Gurdip on the phone answered no way man not unless you dont return back the charger !

okay lets do the exchange then. later that night text from chase : you account was overdrawn 79 $ ! please transfer from savings.

lol thanks apple

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
This type of scenario is exactly why it's crucial to use credit cards, not debit cards, over the phone, online, etc. Sucks OP that you don't have a limit big enough. You should try asking for a CLI to at least $1K!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.