Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Carrier are You with?

• Straight Talk

Votes: 46 7.8%
  • AT&T

Votes: 266 45.2%
  • H2O Wireless

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Sprint

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Verizon

Votes: 128 21.7%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 74 12.6%
  • Simple Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Red Pocket Mobile

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • GoSmart Mobile

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Net 10

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Virgin Mobile USA

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Cricket Wireless

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Spot Mobile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Walmart Family Mobile

• Ultra Mobile

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Platinum Tel (Ptel)

• Lyca Mobile

• Solavei

• Total voters

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Ya but T-Mobile now supports 3G on iPhone's and is a really cheap alternative to AT&T, Sprint and Verizon despite being 4th largest carrier.

TMo supports 3G only in very limited areas currently. You always have to note that to avoid noobs being disappointed when they try it.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
TMo supports 3G only in very limited areas currently. You always have to note that to avoid noobs being disappointed when they try it.

I know thats why I mentioned "soon" because I am sure in the coming few months T-Mobile will be ready for prime time use. I wont change it anytime soon but plans with T-Mobile are very competitive with Straight Talk as many people tend to choose one of the two besides AT&T, Sprint and Verizon.

From the looks of it its:

#1) AT&T
#2) Verizon
#3) T-Mobile
#4) Straight Talk (despite being a MVNO its beating out sprint)

It'll be nice once we have ~1000-2000 entries on the poll.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Data wise, straight talk seems to be the best for data. My friend has ST, and its pretty fast. Plays videos and everything.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Check it out I added T-Mobile's new company "GoSmart Mobile" to the list of options! It is Competing directly with Straight Talk! and IMHO the prices and offerings are greater than Straight talk, Only downside right now is the fact that T-Mobile Reaffirm for 1900MHz HSPA+ Network isnt fully complete yet.

ukancallmeinky

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
so now that the factory unlocked iphone5 from apple is available... can I use straight talk? and just buy a nano sim card cutter online??

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
so now that the factory unlocked iphone5 from apple is available... can I use straight talk? and just buy a nano sim card cutter online??

You can use a AT&T or a Factory Unlocked iPhone 5 on Straight Talk, Yes you will have to modify your own SIM as last time I checked Straight Talk didnt offer the nano sim.

IF you have good T-Mobile's reaffirmed 3G HSPA+ coverage in your area I would definitely check out GoSmart Mobile that T-Mobile just launched!

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S on Verizon network. What plan would be the best for these 2 phones? I forgot, Also I have a Samsung galaxy 3 on Verizon network.

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S on Verizon network. What plan would be the best for these 2 phones? I forgot, Also I have a Samsung galaxy 3 on Verizon network.

Let me clarify myself on the above post I have a Verizon iPhone 5 & 4s I bought from apple. I also have an unlocked Verizon Samsung galaxy 3. Will these phones work on straighttalk?

ukancallmeinky

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
You can use a AT&T or a Factory Unlocked iPhone 5 on Straight Talk, Yes you will have to modify your own SIM as last time I checked Straight Talk didnt offer the nano sim.

IF you have good T-Mobile's reaffirmed 3G HSPA+ coverage in your area I would definitely check out GoSmart Mobile that T-Mobile just launched!

ok I will check them out aswell... thank you :)

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I put my 4S on Solavei. It works great so far. It runs on the other major GSM carrier (not AT&T) so it is not perfect. But I have to admit a couple reasons I did it. 1) $49 Unlimited Voice, Text & DATA! and I was comletely FED UP with AT&T and their $120PLUS bills. 2) There is no advertising for Solavei, so they use the money to lower service prices and it's subscribers get to earn based on if their friends signing up. 3) No Contract! if you don't like it, you can leave!

That is my 2 cents, so if you want to join you need a member to get you in so here is my site. Hope you like it!

http://www.saveoncellservice.net

or sign up directly at www.solavei.com

Thanks! That might be an option.

----------

Yes, with no issues

Thanks for the response. I have another question. Is there a plan like straight talk that's on Verizon towers? AT&T coverage is spotty in some areas where i live.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Check it out I added T-Mobile's new company "GoSmart Mobile" to the list of options! It is Competing directly with Straight Talk! and IMHO the prices and offerings are greater than Straight talk, Only downside right now is the fact that T-Mobile Reaffirm for 1900MHz HSPA+ Network isnt fully complete yet.

Except on ST you get AT&T's huge network as opposed to T-Mobile's tiny network.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Thanks! That might be an option.

----------

Thanks for the response. I have another question. Is there a plan like straight talk that's on Verizon towers? AT&T coverage is spotty in some areas where i live.

Sorry there is no Carrier on Verizon Towers that you can insert a SIM Card for as Verizon is CDMA/LTE network only. Also All Plans and coverages listed are for GSM-SIM Card based iPhone's Only.

OsideRida06

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
I put my 4S on Solavei. It works great so far. It runs on the other major GSM carrier (not AT&T) so it is not perfect. But I have to admit a couple reasons I did it. 1) $49 Unlimited Voice, Text & DATA! and I was comletely FED UP with AT&T and their $120PLUS bills. 2) There is no advertising for Solavei, so they use the money to lower service prices and it's subscribers get to earn based on if their friends signing up. 3) No Contract! if you don't like it, you can leave!

That is my 2 cents, so if you want to join you need a member to get you in so here is my site. Hope you like it!

http://www.saveoncellservice.net

or sign up directly at www.solavei.com

I have heard of Solavei as well. I have a couple of friends who have joined. I am not sure if I could because I have the iPhone 5. I am not sure if it supports it or not?

I know that I would love to get rid of my $100/mo for one cell phone. Plus, they do not even have LTE where I live. But then again, I can almost bet that Solavei does not either. :[

I searched for Solavei and found this website. It looks like they have a lot of information.

http://www.mobilephonebizopportunity.com

Is anyone actually using it already?

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Sorry there is no Carrier on Verizon Towers that you can insert a SIM Card for as Verizon is CDMA/LTE network only. Also All Plans and coverages listed are for GSM-SIM Card based iPhone's Only.

I am a little confused. I thought you could use a Verizon iPhone 5 and iPhone 4/4S if they were purchased from apple. Is this correct are not correct?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I am a little confused. I thought you could use a Verizon iPhone 5 and iPhone 4/4S if they were purchased from apple. Is this correct are not correct?

You can use VZW iPhone 5 on AT&T network but you won't be able to get LTE, you'll be able to get HSPA+.

The VZW iPhone 4 and VZW iPhone 4S can't be used on AT&T network.

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
You can use VZW iPhone 5 on AT&T network but you won't be able to get LTE, you'll be able to get HSPA+.

The VZW iPhone 4 and VZW iPhone 4S can't be used on AT&T network.

I thought the iPhone 4S was made for both CDMA and GSM systems. Only the iPhone 4S.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I thought the iPhone 4S was made for both CDMA and GSM systems. Only the iPhone 4S.

I'm pretty sure the 4S isn't made for both CDMA and GSM.

But I'm 100% sure that the VZW iPhone 5 can be used on AT&T HSPA+ network not AT&T LTE network.

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure the 4S isn't made for both CDMA and GSM.

But I'm 100% sure that the VZW iPhone 5 can be used on AT&T HSPA+ network not AT&T LTE network.

Ok. Sorry for the elementary questions. I am new to all this pay as you go programs. I really like Verizon service but I am sick of paying outrage bills each month. I am also sick of Verizon's unethical practices. I have my 2 children on my plan.

If I port a phone to straight talk, can it be used for another GSM pay as you go plan? Or is that phone ported to straight and can't be used on another GSM pay as you go?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Ok. Sorry for the elementary questions. I am new to all this pay as you go programs. I really like Verizon service but I am sick of paying outrage bills each month. I am also sick of Verizon's unethical practices. I have my 2 children on my plan.

If I port a phone to straight talk, can it be used for another GSM pay as you go plan? Or is that phone ported to straight and can't be used on another GSM pay as you go?

I'm pretty sure a CDMA 4S can only be used on a prepaid CDMA carrier.

Maybe someone can chime in?

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The CDMA 4s can only be flashed to other CDMA prepaid carriers like cricket or page plus. Only problem with these carriers is that data and mms don't work on flashed iPhones. Verizon and Sprint will only unlock their 4s to use with international gsm networks. They will not unlock it for use on AT&T, T-Mobile, or any of their prepaid MVNOs here in the US.

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
The CDMA 4s can only be flashed to other CDMA prepaid carriers like cricket or page plus. Only problem with these carriers is that data and mms don't work on flashed iPhones. Verizon and Sprint will only unlock their 4s to use with international gsm networks. They will not unlock it for use on AT&T, T-Mobile, or any of their prepaid MVNOs here in the US.

Aww. Ok. Thanks!!

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois

Please note Verizon & Sprint iPhone 4S is CDMA & GSM Compatible but Verizon and Sprint Lock their GSM Portion of the iPhone 4S (Sprint also does this with iPhone 5 but Verizon due to FCC rules & Regulations cannot so the Verizon iPhone 5 GSM portion is Unlocked meaning you can use it on any GSM Network in USA, Canada and world wide! whereas Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S can only be used on International GSM networks as they have purposely put a block on all USA GSM Carriers)

Verizon iPhone 5 since it comes with its GSM Portion Unlocked can be used on AT&T and T-Mobile out of the box, But will not get LTE on AT&T due to not having the required bands.

Spring iPhone 5 will only work on International GSM Carrier networks meaning anywhere outside of USA.

Also what I meant was that there is no Network that you can run your iPhone 4S on which uses Verizon towers. Straight Talk uses AT&T and T-Mobile towers to provide its customer service. When you start digging in there is tons of information most people don't know about so I don't blame you and its a bit confusing at first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.