Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I have 7 partitions on my USB hard drive and need to eject one after the next which gets tedious and takes long.

Any way to eject ALL Partitions with one command?

Nov 28, 2010
located
It seems the option of ejecting multiple partitions on one HDD is gone, since Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard asks me when I want to eject one partition of one HDD with several partitions, if I want to eject all partitions or only the one I chose to eject.

If that option is really gone from OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (figures of course), you could select the all on the Desktop (if you chose to let Finder show them there) and eject them.
Or you open a Finder window, press CMD+SHIFT+C to see all connected devices and select all the partitions via click and drag to make a selection and then press CMD+E.

Last edited:

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I do it two ways, depending on where I am.

For the icons on your desktop, hold down Control and Option together while clicking on one of the partition icons. The command list will include an option to eject that partition. If you keep holding Option but release Control, that option will change to eject all of the partitions (on that drive). It's easier than it sounds.

In Finder, even easier still. In the sidebar, just click one of the Eject icons while holding the Option key. All of the partitions on that drive will unmount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.