Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merk1b2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Hey there guys. Just attended a holiday dinner party and I won a iPad 4 in a raffle.

As a Windows user who does heavy word processing, Java/JS/HTML+CSS, Unity, Matlab, and CATIA, I am interested in what my new iPad can do to improve my productivity.

Since I can't return it, and trying to sell it will result in some loss of profit, I figured that I can find some use for "the most popular tablet(s) ever".

I have literally no Apple product experience. Currently using a M6600 Dell workstation and a Note II.

Any help would be appreciated!

Duwsh

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Explore and discover, there is nothing better then doing this with a product you've never used before.

Merk1b2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
What holiday was it for?

General "Winters month" celebration to prevent any controversy. Used to advertise it as a "Christmas Dinner" with the sole meaning to generalize everything going on, but someone had a hissy fit, stating that we were all "racists" and corporate had to rename it.

Honestly, the man was wasted and management had to play it safe. Everything is the same though :)

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
I would keep it and try it, no harm in seeing how the other half lives. I will warn you though, the iPads and iPhones are gateway drugs, and it is a slippery slope once you get one! :)

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Hey there guys. Just attended a holiday dinner party and I won a iPad 4 in a raffle.

As a Windows user who does heavy word processing, Java/JS/HTML+CSS, Unity, Matlab, and CATIA, I am interested in what my new iPad can do to improve my productivity.

Since I can't return it, and trying to sell it will result in some loss of profit, I figured that I can find some use for "the most popular tablet(s) ever".

I have literally no Apple product experience. Currently using a M6600 Dell workstation and a Note II.

Loss of profit? You didn't pay anything for it, so anything you get for it will be pure profit. :)

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
Used to advertise it as a "Christmas Dinner" with the sole meaning to generalize everything going on, but someone had a hissy fit, stating that we were all "racists" and corporate had to rename it.

Sorry. Off topic. But.....man do I hate this!! I have no Christian or religious background but I have no problems with calling things Christmas this or Christmas that. The fact that we have to walk on egg-shells so as to not offend anybody is in fact, offensive.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Sorry. Off topic. But.....man do I hate this!! I have no Christian or religious background but I have no problems with calling things Christmas this or Christmas that. The fact that we have to walk on egg-shells so as to not offend anybody is in fact, offensive.

Your reply offends me.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Give it a go. I was skeptical going in on my first iPad, but it quickly became my go-to device for so many things. Casual tasks like web browsing, email, etc. are a lot nicer on a tablet than they are on a smartphone (even though you have a 5.5" Note II), and much more convenient than firing up your laptop or desktop. If you don't end up liking it, at least it was free!

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
have literally no Apple product experience.

Maybe this is legt--but its far fetched. Someone totally unfamiliar with apple products wins an ipad and their first move is to log into mac rumors? Unless you've been under a rock for 3 years you likely know ipad is an ereader, game console and video playback device, and that there is an app store, and you can buy apps, etc. I mean, puh-lease.

This premise offends me. And take a day off, Christmas haters. Is it the worst thing in the culture? No, its one of the best.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Download apps like:

YouTube, Flipboard, Zite, Tweetbot, GoodReader, Bamboo Paper, Jasmine, Skype, Splashtop, Snapseed, Skitch, iWork Suite (Keynote, Numbers, Pages), Magazines like National Geographic Magazine, Gmail...

you will find its use.

Last edited:

Merk1b2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Maybe this is legt--but its far fetched. Someone totally unfamiliar with apple products wins an ipad and their first move is to log into mac rumors? .

My first unrelated move was searching finding a comparison of the adonit vs gosmart styluses. This site popped up. Figured I'd look at the general sub forum for iPad's and found more recent/current threads on the iPad than other sites I checked.

Now, I know that the iPad can do the basic e-reader, games, videos etc, but I was hoping that I would get some recommendations for apps out the bazillion out their that can improve my work related productivity.

*list of apps*

Thanks! Giving them a look right now.

EDIT: Figured that a equivalent of rooting android would be available for Apple devices. Any worthwhile to jailbreaking in terms of performance and battery life? I OC'd my Note and de-fluffed it. Can I do the same with the iPad 4?

Last edited:

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
EDIT: Figured that a equivalent of rooting android would be available for Apple devices. Any worthwhile to jailbreaking in terms of performance and battery life? I OC'd my Note and de-fluffed it. Can I do the same with the iPad 4?

I don't think there's a jailbreak available yet for iOS 6 on the iPad 4.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012

Congrats!,

1. make a apple ID account, so you can enjoy icloud and all the features
2. Add all your email accounts
3. Go to the app store.

I would suggest google drive, dropbox, or skydrive to access all your documents.

Check out Netflix, HBOgo, ABC family, watch espn for movies and TV stuff. (just a little list)

Not sure if you're into sports. ESPN, NBA, MLB, NFL, etc.

If you like gaming there plenty of good games out there.

If you have a subscription to magazines I would grab those at the news stand. I have NY times and GQ. both are truly awesome.

I hope those suggestions helped, pretty general.

Kimcha

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
I doubt you will find much that will really improve your productivity for work. It is more of a device for enjoyment and consumption. Like someone said its much easier to grab your iPad and do some internet browsing, news reading and video watching then go on to your computer and do it there.

I recommend to get the app Flipboard, which will create a personalised newspaper with articles from all of the web which fit your interests.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Congrats I would keep it. I really love mine. Almost replaces my macbook.

I've never won anything ever. in my entire life. :confused:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i think most people used Ipod touch as an entrance to ios ecosystem.

Now i can just go to shop and try on the new iphone and i would know exactly where is where. I tried to buy Android phone but it took me forever to allocate all the functions of the phone

The point is that you will never know unless you give it a try.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
OP owns Note 2 , no need for iPad :D
Kidding aside, unless you find a need for using it (there aren't that many things you need an iPad for that can't be done with a Note 2 or laptop computer... I'd sell it!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
OP owns Note 2 , no need for iPad :D
Kidding aside, unless you find a need for using it (there aren't that many things you need an iPad for that can't be done with a Note 2 or laptop computer... I'd sell it!

? Like watching digital magazines on the sofa? You can do it with the Note 2 but it's too small. You can do it with your laptop but it's not comfortable to do so. There also aren't that many things you need a laptop for that can't be done with a mainframe. :cool:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Improve your productivity? *bites tongue* I assume you are programming for windows pcs so the iPad wont be of much use as it relates to your productivity. Im a front-end developer and maybe if your user base was using chrome safari or some webkit browser I could see a use from a front end perspective but it doesnt sound like thats the case.

Last edited:

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010

If you've only dealt with PC's your entire life, and your job deals with PC's, productivity with the iPad is going to be slim to none for you. How is it that there is no profit if you sell it if you didn't pay anything for it in the first place? It would be 100% profit if you sold it. The only thing I see you using it for since I can tell you're not an Apple fan is entertainment. Music, movies, games, books. Create an Apple ID and download some apps. There are hundreds of recommendations once you open the App Store app. If you still don't like it, give it to someone that wants it. Friend, family member, secret lover, whatever. Hell, I'll take it. Just give it a chance.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
If you have a subscription to magazines I would grab those at the news stand. I have NY times and GQ. both are truly awesome.

is Reading and Watching GQ on its Native APP,their own APP more Pleasing (They have their own APP available on the Newstand APP in the iPad) or downloading it and Reading it as a Magazine from Zinio more enjoyable ?

sweetestbaboon

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2011
This is perhaps the best dilemma I've ever heard of!
All joking aside, have you considered donating it, kind of paying back that holiday spirit?
I'm a schoolteacher & I know having such a device in my classroom would be a phenomenal thing indeed. It would be incredibly beneficial to utilize in my class to share all sorts of media with my students as well as help some of my learning-disabled kids better process information.
I've been considering purchasing one for my classroom but it's just too cost-prohibitive on a schoolteacher's salary.
So, on the off chance (hey, holiday miracles can happen, right?) you were so inclined, please consider PM'ing me & we can discuss details & I can share my credentials (& evidence of my teaching record).
Forgive me for being so bold, & I hope I'm not breaking board ettiquette by my suggestion, but throughout my career, my kids & I have always depended on the kindness of strangers as it were.
Enjoy the day.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
This is perhaps the best dilemma I've ever heard of!
All joking aside, have you considered donating it, kind of paying back that holiday spirit?
I'm a schoolteacher & I know having such a device in my classroom would be a phenomenal thing indeed. It would be incredibly beneficial to utilize in my class to share all sorts of media with my students as well as help some of my learning-disabled kids better process information.
I've been considering purchasing one for my classroom but it's just too cost-prohibitive on a schoolteacher's salary.
So, on the off chance (hey, holiday miracles can happen, right?) you were so inclined, please consider PM'ing me & we can discuss details & I can share my credentials (& evidence of my teaching record).
Forgive me for being so bold, & I hope I'm not breaking board ettiquette by my suggestion, but throughout my career, my kids & I have always depended on the kindness of strangers as it were.
Enjoy the day.

Hey it never hurts to ask....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.