Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The Samsung Galaxy Beam. Anybody seen this? First time ive come across it. Not the best specs but it comes unlocked on Amazon for as low as $419

samsung-galaxy-beam-2012-1.jpg

Specs

Review

short demo

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't consider that "innovation." I just consider it a phone for a very small niche market that I will never buy.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't consider that "innovation." I just consider it a phone for a very small niche market that I will never buy.

Yeah, a Ferrari isn't innovation because I'll never buy it. Anything that I can't or won't buy isn't innovation.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

For that niche market its innovative. Its too small of a market for most to consider that useful, hence why people are posting about it as if its new when its been out for 5-6 months...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Saw this a while back. It would actually be useful if the led projector didn't suck. I would rather a powerful IR sensor in it's place and software that works like a harmony remote.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Innovative? Right....

Can't see myself, or anyone for that matter, using this feature. I don't even know why they implemented this into a PHONE.:confused:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Innovative? Right....

Can't see myself, or anyone for that matter, using this feature. I don't even know why they implemented this into a PHONE.:confused:

Well you can show video and your photos on a wall or whatever. Not sure id have a use for it either but its a neat feature. The camera is also only a 5MP. There are other demos, i just linked the one of a short video. Maybe others can show a better use.
It might be good for those in the Tech biz who have to show things in meetings. I am also very sure that if the iPhone had this, it would be a bigger deal.....in here anyways.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Its a neat idea but with all the options to wirelessly sync to your television, I doubt theres any real interest in this phone on the market.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah it's a rather pointless phone. It would be neat it it didn't make the device a brick, but alas...

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Really thick and heavy, from the looks of it?

It isnt iPhone thin no but it isnt real thick either. Its only thick near the top in that pic because of the projector lens. It weighs less than the 920 but it isnt as big either. It comes with two batteries and a charger for the extra battery that is also a stand for it. If you click on the 2nd link i posted that says "review", you can see more.
Im not sayin its a great phone. The specs arent great but if it were a lot cheaper, i might consider one. They are still $400 and up (even on eBay) and been out since July.

0cc1fe67ff.jpg

2b6504ddda.jpg

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
It isnt iPhone thin no but it isnt real thick either. Its only thick near the top in that pic because of the projector lens. It weighs less than the 920 but it isnt as big either. It comes with two batteries and a charger for the extra battery that is also a stand for it. If you click on the 2nd link i posted that says "review", you can see more.

Oh, that's not as bad as the shot up top looked. It's still a bit too much thickness and weight for a gimmick, really. But hey, if there's actually a niche for this, then have at it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Oh, that's not as bad as the shot up top looked. It's still a bit too much thickness and weight for a gimmick, really. But hey, if there's actually a niche for this, then have at it.

I hear ya. Its not for everyone....clearly. It is a bit thick i guess but it does have a DLP type projector with LED lighting. Find a projector that small anywhere else.

Here is what is said about the projector. And im not trying to promote this phone at all. Justh thought it was a neat concept that im sure will get better if they make another.

LED Projector

The Samsung Galaxy Beam is named after the Pico projector built into its head. The projector uses DLP technology and LED lighting. The lens measures 16 mm x 10 mm (including the border). This makes our test model slightly heavier than most Android devices, but due to the rarity of a feature like the projector, we will look the other way.

Samsung has announced a luminous flux of 15 ANSI lumens. This may sound to be little to anyone who is experienced with projectors. Most normal projectors require at least 2000 ANSI lumens for sufficient brightness. However, that allows the user to project over an area of 3 square meters and even in daylight. This is not the purpose of the Galaxy Beam. The projector can create a projection of up to 50 inches (diagonally). The room should be darkened for this. The result is truly worth taking a look at. Of course, the buyer should not expect a wonder given the resolution of 640x360 pixels. Still, the projector is well-suited for the projection of a YouTube video with friends and will definitely cause a few jaws to drop. The overhead function is quite nice. The projector emits the picture taken by the camera on the wall in real time. The beamer can also be used as a flashlight which can be quite useful.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
agree with a lot of the others. if it was thinner and wasn't on top. I think it could possibly be useful for games, project and use the phone as a controller.. maybe for the car, project on the windshield some useful info etc.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
To me its like the phone was built around it. I can see using it to show friends videos and pictures just not often enough to want it.

Most business people that use projectors just bring a high quality projectors with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.