Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I've upgraded most of my external HDDs and USB sticks to USB 3.0 and now transferring movies and stuff to my iPad is quite annoying. Takes forever to transfer a couple gigs of movies I downloaded off the internet.

Hopefully, they finally put in USB 3.0 so the people with newer Macs can take advantage of faster write speeds.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I've upgraded most of my external HDDs and USB sticks to USB 3.0 and now transferring movies and stuff to my iPad is quite annoying. Takes forever to transfer a couple gigs of movies I downloaded off the internet.

Hopefully, they finally put in USB 3.0 so the people with newer Macs can take advantage of faster write speeds.

Mobile devices use flash that I'm not even sure saturates USB2 at this point.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Mobile devices use flash that I'm not even sure saturates USB2 at this point.

I'm sure the flash chips inside these mobile devices can take advantage of USB3.0, if they put in higher speed storage chips.

I remember my old Nokia N95. Literally took an hour to transfer 1gb file to its internal memory.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
If they put high speed memory it would need to be low density SLC chips, the MLC chips used in cheaper components doesn't go that fast. The cheapo MicroSD Sandisk chip I got for my droid only does 10meg/sec write speed. Given apple are Pennypinching tightasses, I'd say we're stuck at these speeds for a little while.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm sure the flash chips inside these mobile devices can take advantage of USB3.0, if they put in higher speed storage chips.

I remember my old Nokia N95. Literally took an hour to transfer 1gb file to its internal memory.

The NAND flash chips in the iPhone 5 can only do a maximum write speed of 21 mega bytes per second. That's still well within the range of USB 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.