Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applemaps-150x150.jpg
Police in Victoria, Australia issued a warning to motorists this weekend regarding Apple Maps after several travelers became stranded in the Murray-Sunset National Park trying to reach the city of Mildura using Apple's directions.
Local Police have been called to assist distressed motorists who have become stranded within the Murray-Sunset National Park after following directions on their Apple i-phone.

Tests on the mapping system by police confirm the mapping systems lists Mildura in the middle of the Murray Sunset National Park, approximately 70km away from the actual location of Mildura.

Police are extremely concerned as there is no water supply within the Park and temperatures can reach as high as 46 degrees, making this a potentially life threatening issue.

Some of the motorists located by police have been stranded for up to 24 hours without food or water and have walked long distances through dangerous terrain to get phone reception.
mildura.jpg
In Maps, the city of Mildura is listed in the middle of the Murray-Sunset National Park, which is actually 70km or 43 miles from the city's actual location. In the photo pictured to the right, the red pin is where Apple lists Mildura, while the purple pin displays Mildura's actual location.

A report from Australia's ABC News reveals that Victoria police have had to rescue a total of six people in the last two months after they became lost using Maps.

After the launch of iOS 6, which included the new Maps application, Apple received criticism over inaccuracies in mapping data like the mislocation in Victoria, which led to the termination of several people involved with the Maps project, including Senior Vice President of iOS Software Scott Forstall and Maps manager Richard Williamson.

Apple CEO Tim Cook even issued a personal apology to the public over the debacle, promising to improve the app. In his recent interview with Brian Williams, Tim Cook spoke again about Maps, reiterating that Apple "screwed up" and is "putting the weight of the company behind correcting it."

Police in Victoria have contacted Apple about the Maps discrepancy and are warning travelers to use an alternative mapping system until it is fixed.

Article Link: Australian Police Warn Against Use of Apple Maps Due to Safety Concerns

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
For the first time, I'm first.

Geez, Apple Maps must be total poop outside the USA. This is hilarious.

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Geez, Apple Maps must be total poop outside the USA.

Inside the USA too. There's an entire shopping plaza near my house that Apple considers an "airport".

Also, it sucks being in NYC without having the native Google Maps App's transit info. I know there's other apps, but Google Maps was so detailed. The Web App SUCKS.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
This will be a good test to see how fast it gets fixed. Did anyone ever follow up on the issue with the Home Depot in Colorado?

They'll probably fix this first. Other problems will wait. The Faroe Islands used to not really have map data at all, but it's fixed now.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Geez, Apple Maps must be total poop outside the USA.
It IS total poop. I searched for a street address in Hong Kong (well I did not search for POI already) and it pinned to a hill hundreds of meters behind the street....:eek:

tdmd

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
as much as i like apple, apple maps ABSOLUTELY SUCKS. it might be good for where you're at, but once you start traveling, you will realize how HORRIBLE it is. It has gotten me lost at least 5 times already. So bad that I carry my Garmin with me instead of using the iPhone for directions.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
When I heard about Apple Maps sucking during the beta stage of iOS 6, I thought there was no way Apple would release it like that. They did, and they should have waited for iOS 7. Why the huge rush to release it in iOS 6??? Also, this story is HILARIOUS.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
It IS total poop. I searched for a street address in Hong Kong (well I did not search for POI already) and it pinned to a hill hundreds of meters behind the street....:eek:

Wow, I'm glad they have it working well in California.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I don't understand how Apple could publicly apologize for the low quality of this product, but still continue to ship it. Now they have a situation on their hands.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Mildura Then and Now

A good friend of mine, Pr. Russell Standish, on the way to a preaching engagement in May 2008, was killed, along with the driver, entering a highway in Mildura. If Apple Maps had been around then, perhaps he'd be alive today! How ironic... :(

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
If it's life-threatening, definitely needs to be fixed ASAP. As said by someone above, it will be interesting to see how fast it gets fixed. I haven't seen any of my corrections sent to Apple updated in the maps yet.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
When I heard about Apple Maps sucking during the beta stage of iOS 6, I thought there was no way Apple would release it like that. They did, and they should have waited for iOS 7. Why the huge rush to release it in iOS 6??? Also, this story is HILARIOUS.

Some people explained that Apple needs "crowd sourcing" to improve its Maps app.

Well, I have reported a wrong POI for ~10 times already and it's still there after a few months.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
*Click*

Every time I click my finger, an Australian is attacked by wild kangaroos in the outback thanks to the cartographic iArrhoea which is Apple Maps.

*Click*

Save an Australian today; tell them to use Google.

*Click*

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It's "poop" inside the U.S.A. at times. Wonder how much Apple is going to get sued for after someone dies because of this.

Lol I totally agree. Wonder what kind of ***** Apple will get into if someone dies because of the misdirection of the Maps app.

Can't see any freaking updates in my area. Essentially, it's a mess in majority of Asia.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If it's life-threatening, definitely needs to be fixed ASAP. As said by someone above, it will be interesting to see how fast it gets fixed. I haven't seen any of my corrections sent to Apple updated in the maps yet.

If I was dumb enough to hike on the hill Apple maps suggested when I searched for a restaurant's address, it would be life-threatening as well...:apple:

Apple maps is easily THE worst software Apple has ever released.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Understatement for 'provide Apple with feedback' via background data collection.

C'mon Apple, Maps needs to be fixed much, much, much quicker than you currently state the ongoing timeline of improvements.

I love using Maps, but find myself saying (to people who don't use an 'i' device, and who remember the terrible publicity back in September), that "I don't really have any problems with the app" & "but Apple's getting their act together and improving the data every day". With news such as this, I feel like I'm wasting my breath! :confused:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.