Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Lol I totally agree. Wonder what kind of ***** Apple will get into if someone dies because of the misdirection of the Maps app.

Can't see any freaking updates in my area. Essentially, it's a mess in majority of Asia.

Although exemption clauses cannot be applied to death or personal injury cases in tort...it's hard to prove on the causation part, because there should be signs on the road that point to the location the driver wants to go to.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Understatement for 'provide Apple with feedback' via background data collection.

C'mon Apple, Maps needs to fixed much, much, much quicker than you currently state the ongoing improvements.

I love using Maps, but find myself saying (to people who don't use an 'i' device, and who remember the terrible publicity back in September), that "I don't really have any problems with the app" & "but Apple's getting their act together and improving the data every day". With news such as this, I feel like I'm wasting my breath! :confused:
The 2 people in the Maps team is actually working very hard to correct the hundreds of millions of wrong POI in Apple's Map.

The Onion said Apple is changing the world to make their Maps app correct! Stay tuned! :D

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I take it not too many Australians have factory NAV or a Garmin in their cars? I'd never rely solely on iPhone with potential loss of reception, especially when going to the mountain or through the forest.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I was going to say this issue is overblown, except even I used Apple maps (no viable alternative after the update) and was directed to a CLOSED HIGHWAY which had been closed for months. Even the reroute directed me to a dirt road loop, not the proper road a manual map reading determined.

Maps was/is broken.

Rocketman

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Shameful that Apple still allows the use of this thing on their devices. I love how Apple wants everyone to use it more so it can get "better." So basically put yourself in danger in order for Apple to continue to make millions off defective software. Despicable. It just works? I don't think so.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Now that's friggin funny. With this press I think a few more people will be fired tomorrow.

I'm thinking another deal will be struck with Google to either
1. Make the google maps.app embedded in the core iOS again
2. Actually pay google to release their app quicker in the App Store.

Will be interesting to see!

bimmerboii

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
This is pretty bad news. However, iOS maps is starting to improve. The first day of release of the iPhone 5 i took mine out for a test. It got me lost going to a restaurant from my apartment. 2 months down and i tried navigating to the exact same location and it got it right.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
I know Apple wanted that turn-by-turn voice navigated direction box to be checked off (since Google wouldn't let them use theirs) but I can't help but think that if they would've let their maps bake a little longer there wouldn't be people on the verge of dying from an app.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
For the first time, I'm first.

Geez, Apple Maps must be total poop outside the USA.

First to show us all you're no better than those that simply put First!!?

I think if you start a long trip and only rely on one form of directions you deserve to get lost and possibly stranded because you ran out of gas. I think that's classic!!

Now that being said Apple should of held on to their maps a bit longer to make sure they're a bit more accurate.

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
I take it not too many Australians have factory NAV or a Garmin in their cars? I'd never rely solely on iPhone with potential loss of reception, especially when going to the mountain or through the forest.

I don't think they were prepared to go into the mountain or forest......read the article again....they end up there due to wrong directions

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Some people explained that Apple needs "crowd sourcing" to improve its Maps app.

Well, I have reported a wrong POI for ~10 times already and it's still there after a few months.

Ditto on that. I've reported our street location as wrong - and have provided the new street name - many times over these last couple of months. Nothing, zip. Google changed it within 24 hours of notifying them, and the local hard copy maps directory Melways lists the change of name.

Time the Apple Maps 'editors' added another spoonful of coffee to their midnight long black or for Apple to double (hell, triple) the number of people fixing the Maps app.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Did none of these people look at the map? If you look at the hybrid or satellite view, it clearly leads to nothing but trees and bushes. It in no way resembles a town. It definitely needs to be fixed, but common sense would tell me something is wrong when I saw nothing but plants.

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
My town!!

It really is that bad. I tried using it for swan hill once (know where it is from here, but looking for a particular office ) and the moment I saw that apple maps had the place completely off course, I just laughed and opened the Tom Tom app,,,,

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
For the first time, I'm first.

Geez, Apple Maps must be total poop outside the USA.

Well, at least it's pretty poop where I am. Maps lead me to an equally life threatening situation today - ordering pizza from the wrong pizza place. Not only was the pizza baker ready to come punch my face in, I also nearly died from not getting the necessary sustenance to cure my hangover with :mad:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
First to show us all you're no better than those that simply put First!!?

I think if you start a long trip and only rely on one form of directions you deserve to get lost and possibly stranded because you ran out of gas. I think that's classic!!

Now that being said Apple should of held on to their maps a bit longer to make sure they're a bit more accurate.

I don't know, relying on one source of directions (a Garmin navigator) has never failed me. Neither has Google Maps except for that address they had slightly off. Even a Jaguar XKR navigator that was made in 1999 is always trusty.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Wow, I never had a problem with Apple maps personally. But apparently they can actually kill people...

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I don't understand how Apple could publicly apologize for the low quality of this product, but still continue to ship it. Now they have a situation on their hands.

yeah it's really a slap in the face to them and the customer. Apple is obviously a brilliant company overall, but they make some really idiotic decisions sometimes.

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
What, does Maps lead the people in Oz into a pack of dingos or something?

A bunch of overseas tourists without water in a 40 + degrees Celsius summer day? Oops flat tire

Yes, this could be dangerous. Especially in a national park where there may not be anyone in the surrounding area for days at a time,,,

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Some people explained that Apple needs "crowd sourcing" to improve its Maps app.

Well, I have reported a wrong POI for ~10 times already and it's still there after a few months.

I never bother with those kinds of things because the company never listens to user input. The FIOS remote app was terrible for so long, and it was getting terrible reviews, and they finally updated it way too late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.