Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The other issue is that the previous iOS version, Google maps generally worked OK. To the lay person who doesn't keep up on mobile developments they may not know any different.

It's not so much that apple maps is bad (even though it is, it is terrible) - it's that people are used to maps on their iPhone actually working and have perhaps grown to rely on it.

I mean, Google maps saved me once in Brisbane for example. I was working late in the local office, had to try and get back to my hotel (via hire car). I didn't have a paper map, it was 10pm and the bridge i crossed to get there was closed for roadworks. I had to detour about 20km to get back to my hotel. Without my phone i would have been screwed.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Let's see how quick an error is corrected after it's been on the news.

It hasn't yet.
View attachment 382632

Being on the news doesn't make much difference.

Misplaced local town Dudley was featured in the BBC article published the day after iOS 6 was released and still hasn't been fixed 3 months down the line.

Worldwide publication, Police involvement and the risk of their inaccurate maps potentially leading to someone's death might get their attention though. ;)

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
It's not so much that apple maps is bad (even though it is, it is terrible) - it's that people are used to maps on their iPhone actually working and have perhaps grown to rely on it.

Actually, people have grown to rely on maps & navigation aids generally, not just on the iPhone, particularly since the former have been around for thousands of years now.

This reliance has come about because they WORK and minor errors aside, are largely accurate and correct. The world has now been mapped accurately enough and in sufficient detail for this to be taken for granted.

So when a map comes along that has as many errors as Apple's, yes - even if it works for some people in some locations - the high possibility that at any time it may NOT work, literally renders the product WORTHLESS... there can be no trust in a product, which by definition, is required in areas the user doesn't already know.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
yes - even if it works for some people in some locations - the high possibility that at any time it may NOT work, literally renders the product WORTHLESS... there can be no trust in a product, which by definition, is required in areas the user doesn't already know.

Agreed 100%.

It can not be trusted and is therefore USELESS. Apple will have a hard time winning that trust back.

As you say, maps working in areas where i already know where i am is of no use anyway.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
That's kind of ridiculous. People should have enough common sense to turn around if they find themselves going near the "wilderness".

Clearly you have absolutely no understanding about the geographical layout of Australia and it's population! Imagine a continent roughly the size of mainland USA, but with 22 million people instead of 300+ million. Of those 22 million people, 85-90% live within 100kms (60 miles) of the coastline and even then thats mostly along the eastern, southern coastlines and far south-west. The northern and western coastlines are almost completely devoid of people.

Anything not red or orange on this population distribution map is the middle of nowhere. Then within the higher population areas there are very large national parks, which are equally as remote and might as well be in the middle of nowhere given you could hike for a day and never see anyone. Even those green and light blue areas are in the middle of nowhere.

It Australia, it's pretty easy to be in the "wilderness", it's more just about to what degree.

See those tiny red splotches which represent Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. That's about 11 million people in that relatively tiny area which is roughly half the population of the entire country. That should give you some idea of the population density of the rest of the country.

fs201103_fig1_large.png

Last edited:

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I have tried so hard to get on board with Apple maps and put up with the inaccuracies and indeed point out any errors I spot but they really are that bad I've given up using them as there is no guarantee what your seeing is correct. I think the damage done so far is so bad they will never actually fully recover from this.

Take a 1 square mile area around my house for example. There are petrol stations listed that have never EVER existed. Shops are listed from 20 years ago but current ones arent. Theres an area were most of the streets are called 'Plowright something'. Plowright Close, Plowright Road etc (which is correct) but one bang in the middle of all these 'Plowrights' is a 'Flowright'.

Icons appear and disappear at different zoom levels. Some icons that are current actually appear about 200 metres down the road (better than 70km I guess) thus listing someones house as a pub!

What they should do and this is a bit controversial but I think to absolutely nail this they need to start on one city and absolutely nail it beyond perfect. Then move on to the next and so on. That way they can recover some of the damage by having an amazing map albeit for one city. People can then see what they are capable of and will start getting behind them as more and more cities become available. It will take time obviously but at least it shows what they are capable of instead of trying to fix a complete disaster.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
So when a map comes along that has as many errors as Apple's, yes - even if it works for some people in some locations - the high possibility that at any time it may NOT work, literally renders the product WORTHLESS...

My opinion is that Apple Maps is like a condom which only has a few holes in it.
:D

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Clearly you have absolutely no understanding about the geographical layout of Australia and it's population! Imagine a continent roughly the size of mainland USA, but with 22 million people instead of 300+ million. Of those 22 million people, 85-90% live within 100kms (60 miles) of the coastline and even then thats mostly along the eastern, southern coastlines and far south-west. The northern and western coastlines are almost completely devoid of people.

Anything not red or orange on this population distribution map is the middle of nowhere. Then within the higher population areas there are very large national parks, which are equally as remote and might as well be in the middle of nowhere given you could hike for a day and never see anyone. Even those green and light blue areas are in the middle of nowhere.

It Australia, it's pretty easy to be in the "wilderness", it's more just about to what degree.

See those tiny red splotches which represent Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. That's about 11 million people in that relatively tiny area which is roughly half the population of the entire country. That should give you some idea of the population density of the rest of the country.

fs201103_fig1_large.png

No wonder when I looked at the Australia map, always noticed the cities are near the coastlines, like Perth and Melbourne. Find it weird that the middle of the country there's nothing there though! Thanks for the clear-up!

----------

Being on the news doesn't make much difference.

Misplaced local town Dudley was featured in the BBC article published the day after iOS 6 was released and still hasn't been fixed 3 months down the line.

Worldwide publication, Police involvement and the risk of their inaccurate maps potentially leading to someone's death might get their attention though. ;)

Quite right. If they ignore this, something's wrong with them. Someone should check the location of the city and see how long Apple takes to fix it.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
No wonder when I looked at the Australia map, always noticed the cities are near the coastlines, like Perth and Melbourne. Find it weird that the middle of the country there's nothing there though! Thanks for the clear-up!

No probs! See that splotch of red which is Sydney? That's about the size of Singapore but Singapore has slightly more people than Sydney. :D Most of Australia is basically a vast emptiness.

Last edited:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
No probs! See that splotch of red which is Sydney? That's about the size of Singapore but Singapore has slightly more people than Sydney. :D

Is Warburton the name of an area or city? It's right smack in the middle of "very remote" area, can almost imagine a place being populated by wild beasts.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Is Warburton the name of an area or city? It's right smack in the middle of "very remote" area, can almost imagine a place being populated by wild beasts.

It's a town with about 2000 people and is about 70 kms from Melbourne. It's not very remote and the "wild beasts" will more than likely be the local people :D

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Christ you people love to be obtuse.

BECAUSE APPLE MAPS IS AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE WORSE THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

Entire towns in the wrong location, multiple, major landmarks and POIs in major & capital cities missing and incorrect and entire regions of lesser countries showing no data whatsoever. Execs have been fired, the CEO issued a public apology, and it's about time the remaining 'deniers' just accepted that Apple Maps is generally not fit for purpose, even if for some users it does happen to 'work fine for me'. Good Lord this is tiresome.

Holy crap, get over yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.