Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ameyashelar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Hello friends, i live in india and want to buy an iphone 5 from from US, but i have following questions ...

1.Will the unlocked iphone will activate from any sim card (Indian carrier nano sim ) even after upgrading to new ios ?

2.Do we have to submit any verification document while purchasing an off contract iphone from apple store ?

3.Which iphone should i buy ATT&T or Verizon off contact to use it in india ?

4.The off contract iphone cost $650 ,is it inclusive of taxes or have to pay taxes exclusively ? If yes then how much tax is applicable ?

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Hello friends, i live in india and want to buy an iphone 5 from from US, but i have following questions ...

1.Will the unlocked iphone will activate from any sim card (Indian carrier nano sim ) even after upgrading to new ios ?

2.Do we have to submit any verification document while purchasing an off contract iphone from apple store ?

4.The off contract iphone cost $650 ,is it inclusive of taxes or have to pay taxes exclusively ? If yes then how much tax is applicable ?

1) A factory unlocked phone will activate with Indian SIM.
2) Only verification for your credit card information, as far as I know.
3) You will want AT&T version which is GSM.
4) Please post a link of where you are seeing unlocked iPhone 5 on the Apple store. Have not seen them yet.

ameyashelar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
1) A factory unlocked phone will activate with Indian SIM.
2) Only verification for your credit card information, as far as I know.
4) Please post a link of where you are seeing unlocked iPhone 5 on the Apple store. Have not seen them yet.

Thanks a lot !!!
I am gonna buy from apple store, not from store.apple.com
Is att&t off contract iphone 5 available in apple stores ? (Store ..not store.apple.com )

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Ah ha....

That clears it up for me.

I'm working overseas so looking carefully at all options too.:)

I've read several articles that refer to buying non-contract phones in the Apple store, hopefully others here can verify that.

I did just read an article on TechCrunch that explains how to unlock the non-contract phones purchased from Apple Store with just a restore on iTunes. They also stated that the process did not work with phones from AT&T store (without contract), and that there was a process to have to go through with faxing information to AT&T.

Thanks for leading me on to more information too! Sounds like you'll have your 5 before me.

ameyashelar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
That clears it up for me.

I'm working overseas so looking carefully at all options too.:)

I've read several articles that refer to buying non-contract phones in the Apple store, hopefully others here can verify that.

I did just read an article on TechCrunch that explains how to unlock the non-contract phones purchased from Apple Store with just a restore on iTunes. They also stated that the process did not work with phones from AT&T store (without contract), and that there was a process to have to go through with faxing information to AT&T.

Thanks for leading me on to more information too! Sounds like you'll have your 5 before me.

My pleasure !!!

----------

Thanks a lot !!!!

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
You are welcome. Please post back what have you decided to do. I am heading back to India will like to know how it work out.

rit

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012

Hey main I too live in India and was planning to buy from USA, Any luck ?
were you able to purchase one without contract, unlocked let me know please, thanks

vikivish

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Hi,

I'm also considering of buying an iphone5.

i just thought of asking you people once again and re consider:

1. i figured out that the best buy would be the factory unlocked verizon iphone5.
2. so the next question is - the iphone5 with verizon which i would purchase from apple stores is precisely the one? or is it something else that i have to consider and buy from somewhere else? in other words - the iphone5 available at apple stores is factory unlocked?
3. how much is it? at the website it says 199 dollars for 16gb.

please respond to my questions and forgive my foolishness .

Thank you all!

V

poojithprakash

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Unlocked i phone ?

I am new to this iphone ....i wanted to buy an iphone in us for 199$ is it unlocked ?? if i buy an i phone with at&t and get it to india can i unlock it later ?? should i pay extra money when i buy i phone 5 for at&t service provider ??

macman312

macrumors 6502
I am new to this iphone ....i wanted to buy an iphone in us for 199$ is it unlocked ?? if i buy an i phone with at&t and get it to india can i unlock it later ?? should i pay extra money when i buy i phone 5 for at&t service provider ??

To be clear

$199 is with a 2 year contract. You are better off waiting for it to come to India OR buying a unlocked US iPhone 5 which are now on the apple online store

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012

The Verizon Model is also GSM compatible and it has more LTE bands than the AT&T model. However you can't choose the model. The US apple store gives you the AT&T version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.