Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevpimp1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I purchased an iPad 3 and i was wondering how fast it would hold up before being too buggy and slow to use within a few years. So i compare it to the ipad 1 being out a few years before

Is your iPad 1 still running "properly"? or is it too slow for you to even handle.

hopefully no apps get abandon when I cant download the latest ios for the 3 in a couple years haha but its okay cause we all gotta upgrade sooner at some point

mark cas

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Yorkshire
I have an ipad 1, waiting for a mini on pre order, the 1 is still fine and not buggy at all, but won't be able to run ios6

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
As new hardware gets available for a lesser amount of money, older devices can't but get "abandoned". In a few years, you won't be able to download any new application realistically, seeing how iOS develops.
In this sense, it's a different story than a PC. As more iOS iterations come along, more developers drop support of older hardware, while on a PC this problem is greatly reduced thanks to the stability of a desktop OS.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
I use an ipad 1 with ATT 3g everyday. Works as well now as when I got it when first released. A workhorse

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Is your iPad 1 still running "properly"? or is it too slow for you to even handle.

I'm still running my 3G iPad 1, using it every day for 8+ hours a day. It's not slow at all. The only issue is the 256mb memory - not many applications can be in memory at the same time.

It's still a workhorse. No different than the latest iPads reading books, watching videos or playing music. Still gets 8+ hours on a charge, and I've charged it pretty much every night for the past 2 1/2 years.

Games work fine, but only 1 open at a time - I have to go to the task manager to quit a game before opening another one, or it will crash with a memory error.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I do, everyday. I still work perfectly with my iWork apps, listen to music, watch movies and videos, read books and browse the web.

I was planning on buying the iPad 3 when iOS 6 dropped support for the iPad 1 but since it works like crap on my iPhone 4S, I will stick with it until Maps and WiFi works properly (And if the iPad 6 comes in White & Silver).

No need to waste money if this one works just like it did on day one. I can even play Grand Theft Auto: Vice City without problems.

Maverick713

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I wanted to buy my son a new mini so I sold the ipad 1 for 250 :eek: and 4th gen ipod touch 107 :cool:, and I m currently waiting for his ipad mini to ship.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
We've had one at work since near launch. Still works great and snappy. Feels a bit heavy these days though.

iDevices maintain functionality and usefulness over time well compared to many alternatives.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I still have a 1. Looking to upgrade eventually though. Getting slower and slower by the day. :D Still runs well enough though! ;)

NateEssex

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
My iPad 1 still runs great. Kids play games, watch videos, surf. I can use iCal, schedule events, email, etc. The kids get more time with it now that I have my Mini :)

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
My 64GB iPad1 with 3G was a wedding present from my wife.

I am never getting rid of it, but at the moment it is used as a media devicce by my wife so she can watch movies in bed and do other basic things without having to get up and go to her computer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've largely stopped using my iPad 1 thanks to my iPad mini, but my kids use the iPad 1 and so does my wife.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Still using mine. Noticably slower since updating to iOS 5 and the lack of iOS 6 is a bummer, though I can't imagine how straining it would be on the hardware if it could speedwise. I also have an iPad 2 that I use alongside it but no plans to replace it yet per se.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
still using mine. some apps are prone to crashing because they use up the miniscule 256 mb ram but otherwise it still works fine. the battery is of course not as good as it used to be but it still lasts long enough.
in short: it does what it was bought to do and i can't find any reason to replace it with a newer one except for having the newest and greatest.

Only wish there was an untethered jailbreak for 5.1.1

there is one - i just checked in my settings - i'm running 5.1.1., jailbroken and untethered. just have a look at the usual sources.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I use mine every day. I realize the new ones are probably faster, but my original iPad still works as well as when new ... and if anything, 3G data has gotten faster in my area.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I got an iPad the day it was released. Since then I upgraded to the iPad 3 after winning one in a raffle at work. I passed on the iPad 1 to my partner and he is still using it everyday. I, on the other hand am using my iPad mini about 10 times more than the iPad 3.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
The REAL problem with iPad 1 is not the computational speed but the 256 MB of ram.
I remember that was a real problem to surf the net with more than a tab (or two, depending on contents) at the same time.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I had the 64GB 3G, when RIM released the BlackBerry PlayBook.

My brother still has his 16GB Wi-Fi, his boy from High School sent it to him from California.

Every iPad release I ask why doesn't he sell it and upgrade. He wont because he feels like he's disrespecting his boy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.