Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dimorphic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
Gold Coast, Australia
I'm travelling to Melbourne for three days for a work conference and I've decided to take my iPad 3 and Mini with me.

I use my iPad 3 for movies and heavy web browsing and my mini for reading and gaming due to the form factor.

What I am also going to do is leave the 3 in the hotel room and just take the mini with me to the conference itself to see if the smaller form factor will lend itself well to work use.

If it does I think I'll just go mini when the retina display version comes out as I find it a bit weird taking both devices with me, however I can't go past the retina display for movies and such.

Anyone else take both with them when they travel?

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
just take the mini, surely movies arent that much better on the 3 that you cant deal without it for 3 days?

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Personally I think it is an unnecessary risk.

Do what I do and put valuables under my dirty clothes in a dedicated drawer in the dresser. Make sure to have some nasty underwear on top. ;)

R

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Don't think its stupid; just not sure its necessary to take two iPads. When I used to travel, my was philosophy "less is best". I would just take the Mini.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
No its not stupid, take both.

The mini only weighs 300g's so its no bother and then you have a device to help suit all occassions.

You have spent on them, why would you leave one at home?

Make sure you have adequate travel insurance to cover loss damage theft etc.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
No its not stupid, take both.

The mini only weighs 300g's so its no bother and then you have a device to help suit all occassions.

You have spent on them, why would you leave one at home?

Make sure you have adequate travel insurance to cover loss damage theft etc.

This.

Also, it sounds like you'll be needing some extra battery life, so you can use one while charging the other. It's a pain to use an iPad while it is charging.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I take both my 3 and mini when I travel. I use my 3 mostly for work-stuff and Internet, and I have my 64GB mini loaded with numerous movies for viewing on the airplane.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
It isnt "stupid" because the weight of both devices together is still half what my laptop weighed. But it is redundant and puts you in a situation where you are intentionally giving yourself more to worry about than necessary.

Personally, I dont travel often so when I do I like to limit myself in order to give real "road tests" to my product choices. Carrying everything just isnt practical.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It all boils down to whatever works for you -- not "stupid" vs "smart".

Anyone else take both with them when they travel?
Popular != smart or right for you

Again, do what works for you. No need for reassurance from others.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
It sounds like both tablets are rather bad at doing something so that you have to carry both of them. BTW, what about your iPhone? Are you taking it with you too?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Eh, thats too dangerous to take both. I would dislike to be the person that loses TWO iPads.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
It all boils down to whatever works for you -- not "stupid" vs "smart".

Popular != smart or right for you

Again, do what works for you. No need for reassurance from others.

amen...some stupid answers here - everyone has diff needs so you can't "decree" what is right...I take both - my Ipad4 for Keynote presentations and the mini for airplane movies and sitting at the gate....works fine

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
are you really travel for work conference or sightseeing?

Ipad 3 for movies/ web browing and mini for gaming. You seem to have a lot of free time. Just curious. I would just bring my phone and an ipod. Dinner and drinks with friends at the convention would be more fun, don't you think?

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
It sounds like both tablets are rather bad at doing something so that you have to carry both of them.

Yes, this is only a problem because the 1st gen mini had no retina display. The OP's question was not stupid. Many people are going through the "Man, weight and size is amazing but why so fuzzy?" dilemma.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.