Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
So does this mean ALL Mac Pros will be built in the USA? So then they are cheaper on the US market..

But what about other markets??

Here in Australia we already pay $500 more for the Mac Pro than the US price... How much more will this move cost us?

Yours will still be made in China, probably those sold in the USA will be assembled in the USA. The UK and Europe will still be assembled In Ireland.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
So does this mean ALL Mac Pros will be built in the USA? So then they are cheaper on the US market..

Here in Australia we already pay $500 more for the Mac Pro than the US price... How much more will this move cost us?

It's only a few hundred really - tax is added on at check out in the us. And you have different import duties.

A UK comparison was made that took this into account a few years ago and for the most part the actual prices are the same. It's our governments that are screwing us over.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
And you're using that for?

Using mine to power a Pegasus R4 raid at 500Mb/sec plus blackmagic ultrastudio express. Much better than the esata system I was dealing with on my MacPro. Ridiculously faster too, but my MacPro was pretty old.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
This actually makes sense. Shipping a single Mac Pro from China must cost about the same as a dozen laptops, and two dozen Minis. Whatever the extra costs are to assemble them in the US will be balanced by the savings in shipping. Which is sorta what foidulus was saying, I think... (below).... :)

You mean the company that has a lower suicide rate than the US?

They won't be assembling them here, they be completely making them here. You know, a plant and a factory and stuff. They already assemble their custom stuff here.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
They won't be assembling them here, they be completely making them here. You know, a plant and a factory and stuff. They already assemble their custom stuff here.

Well, when you consider most parts in it come from 3rd parties, they'll be assembling those parts in the US. ;)

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
and forgot that once upon a time, professional graphic designers, photographers and movie directors were the creative and cool people using Macs. The rest were drones using PC's in a cubicle.

Yup and, once upon a time, "IBM" PCs were still stuck with an operating system descended from CP/M that didn't really support 32-bit processors and hamstrung by the need to be backward-compatible with machines designed in the early 80s. They simply couldn't handle the demands of pro creative work - for that you needed a Mac.

Then PCs got better, Windows got better and most of the high-end software got ported to PC, new software appeared for Windows only, and Apple nearly went bust. What saved them was that they made nicer laptops than anybody else & made the shift into selling high margin "designer" small-form-factor systems and laptops.

Now, Macs have fundamentally the same hardware as PCs and while I much prefer OS X to Windows, if you're a "pro" who spends most of their time running a particular software package, it doesn't make that much difference what you're running it on.

Some people still need "pro" systems but, as more and more can be done on consumer hardware, its a shrinking market. Gone are the days when, for instance, you needed a Pro to develop for OS X/iOS.

Personally, I think Apple should have licensed OS X Server - with a price tag of hundreds of dollars - for use on non-Apple hardware. Then, third parties could have made workstation/server hardware, hackintoshes would have been legal, but the price of the OS would make it hard to undercut Apple's money-making consumer products.

Obviously, that option went away when Server morphed from a $500 operating system to a $40 App.

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

Just thinking out loud, but could the new line he talked about be a new Cinema Display? fair to assume with the new iMac shape there is a new display coming too....

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
As a photographer, I bought towers, then I made do with an iMac because the price of towers got silly and now use MBP for everything. I'd still like a tower (never like iMacs) but don't need expense dual-Xeons - just a high-end desktop chip with a nice graphics card and lots of internal space so I don't have to have vast chains of Firewire.

The thing is the 'new Mac Pro' doesn't have to be innovative - just a big box with a good range of processor options. Let the user decide if they want to do all-SSD or embrace Thunderbolt or whatever. Pros aren't stupid consumer users.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
These things are overpriced in my eyes, however not doing graphical stuff and video editing, I just see it as an expensive Mac Desktop. Considering it is not supporting USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt as well.

I still can not believe Apple is selling the really old models for close to the prices of the new ones?

Will be interesting what the new ones will be priced like when they do finally arrive.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007

So Apple are going to set up manufacturing plants for all of the components for the MacPro?

They won't be making - maunfacutring - anything. They'll be putting it together - assembled - nothing more.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
The new Mac Pro is not gonna have a 10-year old body. They will probably make it half the size and weight so shipping won't be such an issue.
And I bet the design is Gonna be stunning. They can't just tweak such an old style machine. It still needs to have 4 PCi slots, at least 4
Hard drives, at least 8 slots for ram and
Maybe a DVD... There is no much they can shrink but it can be a lot lighter. :confused:

I just hope they make it really, really, really thin.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Where do I begin to dismantle your line of thinking?

Do you really think that people want to work like slaves for such low wages and live in horrible conditions like the people who assemble these products in China? The people there work in these conditions because there's over 1.25 BILLION people in the entire country. If one guy doesn't want a job for $7 per day, it's cool because there are a hundred people behind him that will take it for $6 per day.

You want to get real? Here's the reality. These people are working in conditions that were present in the USA 100 years ago. What you're promoting is turning the clock back and racing to the bottom.

I dont' think the poster was "promoting" anything, just explaining why manufacturing largely left the U.S., and why we shouldn't expect too much of Apple's new venture. It's likely a PR move for low volume, high grossing products. I doubt we'll be seeing Apple building iPhone or iPad factories here soon. You even acknowledge why -- cost. For most products it's significantly less expensive to manufacture abroad, not just in China, for a host of reasons. No reason to harsh on the poster for citing reality.

Most manufacturing in the U.S. is for local consumption. For example BMW's SC and Mercs AL factory was specifically set up here because the U.S. buys more SUVs than any other country.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
It makes sense that their most expensive product with the lowest demand be made here in the USA. You'll never see popular products such as iPads and iPhones made here.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
I guess my toy (a 27" 2011 BTO iMac built with the following specs: 3.4GHz quad-core Core i7, 2GB AMD Radeon 6970m, and 16GB RAM) is able to run all of my apps simultaneously with no problems, batch process a few hundred photos in minutes, encode video and audio very quickly, run my RAID setup, run my digital life, be a mini-theater system, and look good on my desk just isn't cut out for professional level work. Ok. :rolleyes:

If you've got all that stuff hooked up, it doesn't look good on your desk. It looks like a picture frame with spaghetti coming out the back.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
I hope this works out and helps return manufacturing to the US. Start slow with the Mac Pro then hopefully add the Mac Mini and then iMac and start a snowball effect. Let China design and build their own stuff.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
They can afford to make a lot of products here, not just the high end ones. The American worker is six times more productive than their Chinese counterpart. Plus, because the quality of the goods manufactured is much, much higher there are fewer discards. A high percentage of goods produced in these Chinese factories have to be tossed out because the build quality is so poor. Those costs get added into the price of the ones that make the quality control cut. Once you factor all of this in the cost to produce isn't all that great.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
What do you do for a living that a 12-core machine is too slow? I'm claiming *************

Oh, that's right, everyone is supposed to run all purchasing decisions through you so you can approve or deny the requests. Give me a break! :rolleyes:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
They can afford to make a lot of products here, not just the high end ones. The American worker is six times more productive than their Chinese counterpart. Plus, because the quality of the goods manufactured is much, much higher there are fewer discards. A high percentage of goods produced in these Chinese factories have to be tossed out because the build quality is so poor. Those costs get added into the price of the ones that make the quality control cut. Once you factor all of this in the cost to produce isn't all that great.

Talk about dreaming.

6 times more productive LOL. I am always willing to learn, so if you can steer me to any link, I'd appreciate it.

The quality issue you claim is BOGUS. Do you really think that Apple or Foxconn would tolerate vast waste in mother boards, chips , soldered components etc. and just add it onto the price?

In any factory waste during production gets analyzed and the reasons why are being eliminated if possible.

If you are talking about McDonald toys maybe, but electronics?

Get real and take off your patriotic blinders!

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
So Mac Rumors is now posting lies in its own stories. What a croc!

No one has confirmed anything about a new Mac Pro. All they have said is that there will be something professionals would really like later in 2013.

Tim Cook, did NOT specify a new MacPro.

While he might not have written in the email "...don't worry as we're working on a really great Mac Pro for later next year", he did write this:

Thanks for your email. Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn't have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today's event, don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.​

Apple confirmed the email where the above quote was taken from was authentic:

http://us.gizmodo.com/5917901/tim-cook-confirms-that-a-really-great-mac-pro-is-coming-next-year

So, since Tim Cook was discussing the Mac Pro in the above paragraph and then states that Apple is working on something great for next year, I am pretty confident that he was referring to the Mac Pro or a replacement for the Mac Pro (i.e. something even more powerful).

tmroper

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Palo Alto
A new factory all its own, if true, would be great news for the Mac Pro and Apple's future commitment to it. And with talk by the financial press recently of investors getting scared about margins on the smaller products, maybe the Pro will be a star once again.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Ahh, the elusive Mac Pro. Other reasons which if they haven't been mentioned yet could be the size and weight of the product. This is probably the heaviest product Apple has to ship from China. Could be a reason why they also discontinued the 30 inch display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.