Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by Mac OS Ken, a new "Holiday" content section has appeared buried in the iTunes Store on the Apple TV. Interestingly, the section contains numerous banners advertising apps and games, which are of course not currently compatible with the Apple TV.

apple_tv_holiday_apps.jpg
The new content sections are not functional, as no listings appear when the various banners are selected with the Apple TV remote. The section can be found by navigating to Movies -> Genres -> Classics -> Holiday Music, Movies, and More.

The new listings are almost certainly an error, with banners for Apple's new Holiday section [iTunes Store] being served to the wrong device.

Steve Jobs had noted soon after the introduction of the second-generation Apple TV in September 2010 that an App Store for the iOS-based device could launch when the time is right. Such an effort would, however, require Apple to work with developers on tools for creating apps for the device, and there has been no sign of an effort on that front.

Article Link: Listings for Holiday Games and Apps Appear on Apple TV, Undoubtedly in Error

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Find it amazing they haven't added app support to the Apple TV yet. If the added support for blue tooth game controllers as well (especially for the Wii) it wouldn't take long for it to make massive inroads to the console market.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
iOS 6.1 beta turns on Bluetooth (to pair keyboards or iPhone/iPod or iPad) on the Apple TV + apps coming soon = App Store on your big screen plus iDevice Bluetooth controller (eg. for gaming). Apple TV needs a capacity boost though....

Last edited:

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Apple TV with 64gb of storage. A6X graphics and a Bluetooth game controller + App Store = RIP console market.

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
I just can't see Apple releasing a traditional gaming controller for the Apple TV. First party Apple gaming hardware just seems... odd. I can see games on the Apple TV in the relatively near future (read, next couple of gens of the Apple TV) but I can't see a traditional console competitor.

Hard to say though, since I can't imagine playing Angry Birds with an Apple TV remote is reasonable. :confused:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I made sure to not let you get past the title without having them dashed. :)

:p

Hey, I'm a slow reader. At least I had a few happy seconds.

On a more serious note... I wonder if Apple could get away with running iPhone 5 apps unmodified on the ATV? They're the same 16:9 ratio as a widescreen TV, and though short of 720p they should be perfectly usable on a HDTV. Of course, that said there aren't a huge number of updated iPhone 5 apps out there, but at least apps on ATV wouldn't necessarily require yet another resolution to build for.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I just can't see Apple releasing a traditional gaming controller for the Apple TV. First party Apple gaming hardware just seems... odd. I can see games on the Apple TV in the relatively near future (read, next couple of gens of the Apple TV) but I can't see a traditional console competitor.

Hard to say though, since I can't imagine playing Angry Birds with an Apple TV remote is reasonable. :confused:

All Apple need to do is create a "Controller App", just like the Remote App currently available.

bobringer

macrumors member
May 20, 2004
Such an effort would, however, require Apple to work with developers on tools for creating apps for the device, and there has been no sign of an effort on that front.

Lolwut?

Yeah... That Xcode man. Horrible. Apple better find somebody that knows how to create development tools for iOS devices.

Said nobody... Ever.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
All Apple need to do is create a "Controller App", just like the Remote App currently available.
I agree with this. There will be so many 3rd party hardware options that Apple won't need to 'dilute' their brand by going 'backwards' with a dedicated hardware controller.

3rd party options will either be a complete unit, or an iOS device case with the thumbsticks, buttons etc...

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Apple TV with 64gb of storage. A6X graphics and a Bluetooth game controller + App Store = RIP console market.

Yay for deprecated system functions that break older games...
Thanks, but no thanks, I'll stay on Windows and maybe consoles for REAL gaming.

Now casual games, that's something different. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

I find it hard to believe that all the sudden Apple finally starts to care about gaming.

Although it would be nice.

Hopefully, upgradeable full size gpu's in their desktops are next, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.