Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I need to install Mountain Lion on my Mac once again as the SSD is garbage. I got a new SSD and I am prepared to install it but first I need to create a new bootable USB with Mountain Lion on it to begin the process. Is there any easy and straight forward way to do this on windows? I already have Mountain Lion software backed up but not in a bootable format. USB is preferred as I do not have any dual layer discs laying around and I've already spent a ton of money on the new SSD and really don't want to sink anything else into it.

Thanks a lot guys. I did a little searching and couldn't find anything at all.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have never seen any way to make the USB installer in Windows. You will need a Mac to get it done.

What year is your Mac? If it is 2010 with the latest firmware (EFI), you should be able to do a command-r boot to recovery and format and install from there.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion installer will fit on a Singe Layer DVD, if that helps. Thus you could use a goo Windows burning program to burn the DMG/ISO you have to an SL DVD.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
The OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion installer will fit on a Singe Layer DVD, if that helps. Thus you could use a goo Windows burning program to burn the DMG/ISO you have to an SL DVD.

Thanks sim. I'll go the single layer DVD route. It's been awhile so I've sort of forgotten this was possible. Big derp on my part. Kind of hard to believe you can't do the USB on Windows though, I'd be out of luck without an optical disk drive (or have to wait for Apple to send me a USB if lucky). Will report back later.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Edit: Disregard this. It literally just loaded as I typed this. >_>

Everything is up and running. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.