Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SCalkins

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Maybe some of you guys can help offer a solution to my problems... heres a little background:

Hardware:
Macbook Pro, IPhone 4S, (At home an Airport Express)

Background:
I am often on the road quite a bit and this forces me to stay at many hotel's. Thus, I often use public wifi as my main source of connection.

I have many programs on my IPhone that I use to connect to my Macbook via Wifi. Example (Hippo Remote, Keyboard Maestro, VLC Remote Etc..)

The problem is that because I travel quite often, I have to change my setting in all of my programs to the new IP in which I am connected too.

Dilemma:
Now; I considered using a DNS service to route my dynamic IP to a static DNS and then run a shell script/Custom API to update the IP with the server. The problem with that is many hotels are strict with their port forwarding.

Then I also considered setting up an Ad-Hoc Local connection with my macbook <--> IPhone. However, this causes me to loose my wifi (Internet) Connection..

Maybe i'm just over thinking all of this right now -- maybe someone can throw some suggestions my way ..

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Not sure if around but maybe a wifi USB dongle as access point to make a secondary (and controlled) network. You could try that in combination with the adhoc Wifi function from Mac OS.

Or a second airport express for a travel configuration connected (I don't have one; can it work as access point ?)

In both ways you ca keep the Wifi of the MBP for the hotel connection but still define your known network in parallel.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The only way I see this working is if you get another AE and use that at the hotels, then you can set it up to allow the kind of inter-device work you are describing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.