Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ant2369

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Connecticut
Hello all. I'm looking for an external USB 3.0 drive for my new iMac. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the 2 below. From what I've read the Seagate is slightly faster. I'm looking for opinions on each. Looking for speed as ill be transferring pictures and encoded home movies plus some large MKV files from backups. I was hoping for something with a 7200rpm drive. I linked to best buy cause I have a $75 gift card so I'd love to,apply it to the purchase I was originally looking at a 1 or 2tb drive but the card lets me look at the 3tb now. I'm open to suggestions obv on other drives if they're faster and have only 1-2tb. Thanks

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate...rive/5597959.p?id=1218671137972&skuId=5597959

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/WD+-+My...lack/1261281.p?id=1218244145647&skuId=1261281

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
the only advice i can give you is dont buy seagate.

only by my personal experience, i have had the most hard drive failures through them.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I have a MyBook Studio FireWire version and it's a good paperweight. The drive failed to recognize TimeMachine about a year ago and I gave up on fixing it. I use a WD Cavier Black in a Thermalake dock for my backup. It runs at full sata 2 speed over esata on my MBP.

Dale

revdlc

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2006
Washington State
I recently got that 3TB Seagate drive (on sale now at Costco for $119.99) and a 2TB WD drive I've used as a Time Machine for a couple of years. Both are working well, but I recommend the Seagate attached to their Thunderbolt adapter; Time machine backups are way faster. And while I know I could reformat the WD drive and delete it, there's a second partition with Utilities on it that mounts when that drive is plugged in. The Seagate drive and adapter are, I think, the least expensive route into the blazing high speed of Thunderbolt, and I'm also able to use the adapter with a couple of old internal drives with no cases... Spink10 is right--all drives fail, and I've had as good luck with Seagate as with any. Just keep multiple backups, including off site, and you'll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.