Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
"Here is what I would use it it for if I actually had it"

Wow, maybe I wasn't clear but you don't have NFC and that entire cnet list is all about having your own NFC receptor chips and in no way applies to real world consumer usage.

I wanted to know real world consumer usage, not someone day hypothetical.

I'm curious if it is actually being used in stores or by the public

Those discs are readily available and very cheap at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=NFC+tags

Last edited:

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
"Here is what I would use it it for if I actually had it"

Wow, maybe I wasn't clear but you don't have NFC and that entire cnet list is all about having your own NFC receptor chips and in no way applies to real world consumer usage.

I wanted to know real world consumer usage, not someone day hypothetical.

I'm curious if it is actually being used in stores or by the public

Samsung sells NFC tags and that is one of the ways I use NFC. So yes I would say that applies to consumer usage. NFC is for more than just payments. My local grocer and two gas stations plus nearly all the fast food places around me all have Paypass terminals where i can pay with NFC. I do not even live in a big city.

---------------------

Exactly! Just like passbook, which we all use on a daily basis.

Congrats bro, gave me the first laugh of the day! :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I dont even know any place that takes payments like that.
Or maybe there is but I just never noticed them so far anywhere in the US?

It's easily overlooked.

McDonald's
Best Buy
Walgreens
Lowes
Foot Locker
Sunaco
Toys r Us
American Eagle
Old Navy

Since it can be linked with mastercards paypass there are a tremendous amount of places you can use NFC in an Android device for payment.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Can NFC be used with those visa paypass machines? I see those in a lot of places but thought it was just for the special visa cards.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Can NFC be used with those visa paypass machines? I see those in a lot of places but thought it was just for the special visa cards.

Visa uses PayWave and yes I believe so but I don't know the setup process.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I use my gs3 at gas stations, cvs and rite aid. Pretty handy and fast

Same here, as I just wanted to try it out. Works good and very safe.

It actually came in handy once. The strip on one of my cards is worn out and the card reader at the supermarket was too sensitive to read it. I easily pulled out my phone and paid under the same card. :)

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

Yep, anywhere you see the NFC paypass symbol, your phone can be used. (Assuming the machines are working). But Office Depot, Jamba Juice, Petco, Macy's, McDonalds, Burger King, CVS, Rite Aid, are but a few of the places that have paypass.

When you go to pay for something, look at the credit card reader as you swipe your card. If there is an extension sticking up from the reader, then it is likely paypass.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I have a NFC chip in my Visa card, and I didn't have to pay for a Samsung product to get it (it came for free with the card). The number of times I have used it? Exactly zero. This is simply not an option where I live in Scotland. Maybe 10 years from now... but by then they'll be scanning retina's or DNA.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I have a NFC chip in my Visa card, and I didn't have to pay for a Samsung product to get it (it came for free with the card). The number of times I have used it? Exactly zero. This is simply not an option where I live in Scotland. Maybe 10 years from now... but by then they'll be scanning retina's or DNA.

Many people dont even realize that some of their credit cards have this chip. But I think it is cute that you think your chip is free, or your credit card for that matter. Do you bank with Lloyd's or similar? Notice that small 8 or 10 quid monthly charge by the bank?

Back to NFC, you will find NFC RFID chips in Driver's Licenses, Passports, Credit Cards, Government ID's and so on. The technology is everywhere. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't being used and generating trillions of dollars, euro's, pounds, yen, etc... What we see in our credit cards and phones is just the beginning of the consumer focus.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I think the topic is more for NFC in smartphones. I had a pass an go for buying gas with a company I used to work for over 10 years ago which used the same tech.

I say that assuming you can't make phone calls using your Visa card. I agree if you still need to carry the card on you, pull it out the decide whether to swipe or tap it, yes that's pretty useless.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
You can buy those tags in any phone store. How is that not real world consumer usage? That is also why I said you're asking in the wrong forum. This is an iphone forum, where no one has NFC. Move your thread to the alternative to iOS forum and you'll get a greater more specific answer.

Yes you can change settings or do certain script but who wants to spend $20 for a few tags.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Same here, as I just wanted to try it out. Works good and very safe.

It actually came in handy once. The strip on one of my cards is worn out and the card reader at the supermarket was too sensitive to read it. I easily pulled out my phone and paid under the same card. :)

I've had a few cashiers go like woahhh cooooolll. Have you? Lol

t0mm

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Hardly any places use NFC for anything here, let alone passbook. None of it.

So it's a waste of time currently in the UK.

My University uses it to get into the car park, to get into rooms, to get through barriers to buildings.
Local transport uses it too like oyster.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
My University uses it to get into the car park, to get into rooms, to get through barriers to buildings.
Local transport uses it too like oyster.

That's a good start. Wish more shops used it though. Starbucks and McDonalds. Is there anyone else?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I know one person who uses it, and he definitely went out of his way to do so. He used those little pads for maybe a month...now they are littered all over his office and look stupid. He mostly used them for turning wifi on and off....but guess what....with an iphone I can leave wifi/bluetooth on all the time whether I am connected or not.

I know it can be used for more than that, but it's not really used anywhere where I would benefit from it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's a good start. Wish more shops used it though. Starbucks and McDonalds. Is there anyone else?

Cvs, Walgreens, lowes, Macy's, best buy, Burger King, foot locker, old navy, American eagle, etc etc

slch

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
I barely use it. In my country GWallet is not supported and I don't care about NFC tags to switch preferences (I need something more "intelligent").

The best feature of NFC enabled phones is sharing content. It's great to share photos or contacts. Aside from that I think it's almost useless (for me) until there is more support in the stores (which won't happen until all the smartphones include NFC).

iOS could overcome the absence of NFC using a GOOD sharing system (like airdrop for mac) + direct sharing as Android (you can use mail, dropbox, evernote, sms...).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I barely use it. In my country GWallet is not supported and I don't care about NFC tags to switch preferences (I need something more "intelligent").

The best feature of NFC enabled phones is sharing content. It's great to share photos or contacts. Aside from that I think it's almost useless (for me) until there is more support in the stores (which won't happen until all the smartphones include NFC).

iOS could overcome the absence of NFC using a GOOD sharing system (like airdrop for mac) + direct sharing as Android (you can use mail, dropbox, evernote, sms...).

What do you mean by more intelligent? Like motorolas smart actions or the Android app tasker?

Aside from that I don't see a better or more intelligent way of changing phone settings. GPS location based and WiFi like the above mention can use but they aren't precise enough like if I'm in my bedroom and want the phone silenced or in the living room or whatever...

kdarling

macrumors P6
OP, as I've written here before, my daughter and her husband in Florida love paying by NFC. She often has a child by one hand, and her phone in the other hand, so NFC makes it easier for her.

They daily use NFC payments for fast food, gas, Home Depot, CVS.

It'd be nice if Apple jumped in too, because even though it's happening without them, I think the shift to supporting it would get more publicity.

slch

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
What do you mean by more intelligent? Like motorolas smart actions or the Android app tasker?

Aside from that I don't see a better or more intelligent way of changing phone settings. GPS location based and WiFi like the above mention can use but they aren't precise enough like if I'm in my bedroom and want the phone silenced or in the living room or whatever...

IMHO iOS reminders+do not disturb are (in theory) way more intelligent and practical. If I'm at home from 11 to 6 do not disturb unless some particular person is calling.

I've got a Galaxy Nexus and a NFC token in my keyring and I've used it at most 5 times in 4 months to change settings.

In the near future I see a phone intelligent enough to know if you are busy, sleeping, on holiday... just take a look at Google Now, it's quite clever :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.