Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
With T-Mobile announcing that they will be carrying the iPhone next year, I have a question about whether it will be better to have the iPhone 4S versus the iPhone 5 if you are on a prepaid plan.

The $30 prepaid plan that is so popular offers up to 5gb's of 4G data, not LTE. When T-Mobile rolls out their LTE network next year, if you have an iPhone 5, you will have to use LTE data, correct? You can't use 4G at all, correct?

So it would seem safer to have a 4S if you wanted to stay on the $30 plan because they would force you to a more expensive plan if you were going to use LTE on an iPhone 5, right? Am I missing anything here?

Am I right in thinking that this is a question that everyone on T-Mobile who uses an iPhone on a prepaid plan but is thinking about upgrading to an iPhone 5 should think about?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Huh? wha?

Whether 4G or LTE is dictated by what the carrier makes it available to you in your area.

If u have a 5, u will take advantage of faster LTE *if* it's available in your area but if u have just a 4s, u connect 4G.

There is no money differential, the carrier don't have a 2-tier pricing for 4G and LTE I don't think. Cellular carriers are tiered toward data volume per month, not how fast u get those data

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.