Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiranB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK
Hi guys I have a quick question which has probably been answered before ... On my ipad when I have mobile data active at the same time as wifi ... Is it wifi that is used or the mobile data??

jaydee24601

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I actually just asked my Verizon rep and she said the wireless data is used if it's activated on the iPads!

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
I actually just asked my Verizon rep and she said the wireless data is used if it's activated on the iPads!

She's dumb...if you're at home...wifi is always used first...if a power outage...whatever (you get the point) happens THEN and only THEN it connects to the cellular network.

KiranB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK
So I could basically leave both on unless I'm trying to save battery?!

My thoughts too ...

----------

[/COLOR]
She's dumb...if you're at home...wifi is always used first...if a power outage...whatever (you get the point) happens THEN and only THEN it connects to the cellular network.

I usually turn mobile data off at home as i assume leaving data and wifi on at the same time may be battery intensive? .. But I didn't know what exactly took priority when they are both left on?

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
With ATT WiFi takes priority over mobile Data if you can establish a WiFi connection...else mobile data will be used.

I have all of mine and my children's iDevices set-up this way to reduce the un-necesary consumption of my mobile data limits.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I usually turn mobile data off at home as i assume leaving data and wifi on at the same time may be battery intensive? .. But I didn't know what exactly took priority when they are both left on?

You should actually do the opposite.

If the iPad gets a wifi signal, it will NOT look for a cell signal. Once it loses the wifi signal, then it will look for a 3G/4G signal.

If you're away from home, in a place with no wifi, the 3G/4G will be active, but the iPad is continually looking for the non-existent wifi signal, and will use more battery.

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009

If the iPad gets a wifi signal, it will NOT look for a cell signal. Once it loses the wifi signal, then it will look for a 3G/4G signal.

If you're away from home, in a place with no wifi, the 3G/4G will be active, but the iPad is continually looking for the non-existent wifi signal, and will use more battery.

I'd make make sure "Ask to Join Networks" is also off

KiranB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK

Ok so I should leave the mobile data on aswell as the wifi?? ... So therefore when I leave the house or wifi signal drops there is always a 3G connection available to allow me to carry on use?

Is that what you mean? .. When wifi and data are on does the ipad only use the wifi then? Until of course you leave a wifi area,and then it begins to use your data allowance?

Hope this makes sense :p

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Ok so I should leave the mobile data on aswell as the wifi?? ... So therefore when I leave the house or wifi signal drops there is always a 3G connection available to allow me to carry on use?

At Home: Leave both 3G and Wifi ON. Your phone will use Wifi, and only look for a 3G signal if it loses a Wifi signal.

On the Road: Leave 3G ON, and turn Wifi OFF. This will help your battery, because while on 3G, your phone is CONSTANTLY looking for a Wifi signal to use instead of 3G.

So, all you're doing is that when you leave your house, you turn wifi off, and when you get home, turn wifi on.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
OMG, the battery is not going to be drained in 2 seconds by having both on. OP, just leave both on and stop worrying about it. If there is wifi around, itll try and connect to that network first. If not, AND your cellular plan is active, itll connect to 3G/4G/LTE. It does not use that much battery for it to check if there's wifi every once in a while. Leave both on and you'll be fine. The only time I turn wifi off is if the wifi is slower or the signal is weaker than 3G/4G/LTE, which can happen alot with public hotspots.

KiranB

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Birmingham UK
OMG, the battery is not going to be drained in 2 seconds by having both on. OP, just leave both on and stop worrying about it. If there is wifi around, itll try and connect to that network first. If not, AND your cellular plan is active, itll connect to 3G/4G/LTE. It does not use that much battery for it to check if there's wifi every once in a while. Leave both on and you'll be fine. The only time I turn wifi off is if the wifi is slower or the signal is weaker than 3G/4G/LTE, which can happen alot with public hotspots.

Thanks! Appreciate it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.