Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
It would be a 4.8" model in addition to the 4" model.

People that complain about new options are actually afraid of having to admit that they'll not be able to have the latest and greatest because there may be greater physical, psychological and monetary reasons for that not being achievable. That's called 'fanboysm syndrome' and it is related to envy. ;)

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
You should just be able to walk in and buy a phone at a reasonably low set price, and the home setup screen should allow you to choose your carrier. If you're resuming a plan, you log in, and it recognizes that. If you want to change carriers, you choose that carrier, set up your info and plan, and go. If you choose another carrier and you're not out of contract with your current carrier, it warns you about a contract breach fee, you approve or disapprove, pay the money you currently owe and go on your way with a new carrier...all on one phone...all from the comfort of your living room. No calls, no hassles. Just do it. Number switches over...everything. This whole "locked" thing just seems ancient. More power to the user. Less to the providers. They're still getting our money anyway...and plenty of it. It shouldn't matter.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
This doesn't seem likely at all except for the IGZO display and improved camera.

6-8 colours would produce way too many SKUs (almost 100!), NFC is unlikely given that the current unibody design creates a Faraday cage and there's no room for a decent NFC antenna in the tiny glass windows.

Battery will likely remain pretty much the same, any considerable improvement in battery life would be a result of the IGZO screen.

Improved camera is a given though.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This will more than likely be the one all carriers will get, as per that T-Mobile announcement. Lets see what the best carrier will be, hopefully Sprint will have LTE in my area soon.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I think it may not be a bad deal Apple releasing 2 iphones a year. That means they are speeding up innovative releases. Every year we should see a new design instead of every 2 years.

4.8 inch screen? I doubt it highly and I think the Analyst wants to see that option. The best way he can try to make that happen is by putting out this rumor to see if it generates interest and demand. This in turn puts pressure on Apple. I don't see this happening for a few years.

I don't put a lot of stock in this rumor but I think some of it is possible. Colors? That would hit big with folks and be a nice change. 128GB? Logical next step.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
1. Analyst reads Macrumors
2. Analyst sees speculation threads
3. Analyst writes an article on it
4. Macrumors reports on articles
5. Analyst reads Macrumors

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
What usefulness does NFC really have? Most stores haven't adopted it seems like a battery drain to me. 128GB storage about time.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Instead of having a choice of colours why doesnt apple take its head out of its a$$ and give people the ability to chose how they manage their data on their phones? File explorer, anyone?

Once again apple proves it likes to live in the stone age, just like it did for over two decades with a single button mouse. Steve Jobs must have though people didnt have fingers and were born with nubs.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
umm I will keep my iPhone 5 for a year and a half.. no need for more speed anymore.. the 4S was fast and the 5 is fast enough.. i am tired of speed increases running the same boring UI.. So once the jailbreak is out for the 5 i will sell my 4S and settle with my 5... so it looks like my next iPhone will be the iPhone 7..lol

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
I find none of what this "analyst" says to be even remotely plausible. The increased storage option? Maybe. But NFC, 4.8" screen, multiple color options? Doesn't seem Apple like IMO. It took Apple 5 generations of the iPhone to increase the screen size a whole half inch. Now they're going to increase it by an additional 0.8 inches in 6 months?

That was referring to the iPhone coming AFTER the iPhone 5s..Learn to read.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
I find none of what this "analyst" says to be even remotely plausible. The increased storage option? Maybe. But NFC, 4.8" screen, multiple color options? Doesn't seem Apple like IMO. It took Apple 5 generations of the iPhone to increase the screen size a whole half inch. Now they're going to increase it by an additional 0.8 inches in 6 months?

Someone's not reading the story. These features are supposedly for the iPhone 6, NOT the iPhone 5S.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
If the only thing that happens is a retina screen iPad mini, I'll be happy. To be honest, I like the screen size of my 4S. Does everything a device like that should. The rest of what I do is offloaded to the iPad or Mac. Aside from its fragility, I'm thinking the 4S is the best iPhone yet. Everytime I use a iPhone5 in the store I can't reach top of the screen controls with my thumb. Ah well.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
With people like this, I wonder how big is "too big"? Why not give the iPad phone capabilities?

As for 128 GB, I doubt this. With Apple pushing iCloud, why have the added space?

Think it's coming for iPads this year so I would expect iPhones as well.

It allows them to appear to give a lot better value for money vs others (many have 8/16gb) while still raking in TONS of profit cause the extra $$ for the extra memory isn't going to hurt them.

Plus I would say all of iClouds features are actually not even space saving as things like calendars, reminder lists, notes etc are all saved onto the local memory.

iTunes match may be, but then that only works for songs and a lot of people don't have THAT much data or THAT great reception all the time.

Also a better camera will mean higher need for more space for larger sized photos.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Instead of having a choice of colours why doesnt apple take its head out of its a$$ and give people the ability to chose how they manage their data on their phones? File explorer, anyone?

Once again apple proves it likes to live in the stone age, just like it did for over two decades with a single button mouse. Steve Jobs must have though people didnt have fingers and were born with nubs.

The industry is trying to move away from File Explorer. So a big no on ever having that. This was talked about over and over when the iOS first launched with iPhone in 2007 and has been covered many times ever since. Win8 is even trying to move away from File Explorer with further removal in Win9. Colors who cares.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
More like the iPhone replacing the iPod.

Apple did colors for years on the iPod and nobody even blinked at that, so I don't know why there is so much negativity here. Not to be missed here is the smart phone market wiping out the point and shoot camera market.

All these little things add up to a one cell phone fits all mentality going the way of the dodo. Apple needs more models simply because its customer base has broaden significantly.

4.8" screen, near field communication (NFC), coming in a range of colors...sounds like the iPhone is turning more and more into the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
128GB capacity would be nice, albeit WAY TOO expensive to be a phone that one could lose at any moment.

I don't see too much coming out of the Apple camp right now. This Note II that I have really does show what a phone is capable of, and the iPhone just doesn't come close. Tis sad that such great apps on the Apple App Store go to waste on a phone that really hasn't grown much since the iPhone 4.

Although, a 4.8" iPhone Pro with NFC, better speech recognition, Google integration, touch keyboard, a better more fluid more natural OS, and more productivity out of the gate would make me jump back to the iOS ecosystem in a heartbeat.

SuX0rz

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
This is the stupidest rumor in the world. "Let's just list every killer feature we want on the iPhone and pretend it's news!"

- Apple isn't going to change the screen size again for years.
- NFC? Really? It's pretty clear that Apple doesn't support the technology.
- Apple isn't going to dilute the iPhone brand buy offering it like an iPod with six colors.
- Apple already has a low cost iPhone. It's called the iPhone 4. Apple doesn't make "low cost" products.
- Apple isn't going to put a retina display on the mini anytime soon. That resolution would be insane on that screen size.

When I read over all that stuff again. It does sound like this "analyst" wants Apple to be Samsung.

Last edited:

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I would love a 4.8" screen with my big hands. My 4S is too small. And I doubt, and this is IF Apple goes this route, that the additional 0.8" would be added to the top and bottom like it was with the 5. It would make more sense to throw the additional size to the sides, make the phone look normal again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.