Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
The industry is trying to move away from File Explorer. So a big no on ever having that. This was talked about over and over when the iOS first launched with iPhone in 2007 and has been covered many times ever since. Win8 is even trying to move away from File Explorer with further removal in Win9. Colors who cares.

Well theres a false statement if I ever heard one.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Still on my iPhone 4 with nothing rushing me to upgrade.

Have to wait for September 2014. That's when my contract expires. I probably could upgrade April 2014, but the contract stacks on top of the next one then. So there is no benefit to upgrade the earliest I can, since it won't get me the next upgrade any earlier. Still on my iPhone 4 and it works fine. Can't wait for iPhone 6!

Frankly I don't understand the people on this forum that have the need to rush out and get the latest the minute it comes out. Especially for a cell phone. In my mind I benefit far more from keeping my iPad up to date and even there I haven't moved from 3 to 4 yet. Believe me iPad 4 is far more tempting of an upgrade than iPhone 5.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
I find none of what this "analyst" says to be even remotely plausible. The increased storage option? Maybe. But NFC, 4.8" screen, multiple color options? Doesn't seem Apple like IMO. It took Apple 5 generations of the iPhone to increase the screen size a whole half inch. Now they're going to increase it by an additional 0.8 inches in 6 months?

Can you read?? The iPhone 6 will supposedly have the bigger screen, not the 5S. Wow.

:rolleyes:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
iphone10.jpg

Can't wait ..

----------

what would the ppi be at the same resolution 4.8 screen?

No idea :)

Castiel

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Ohio
Ever better yet, over the 128GB storage, would be dropping the 16GB and making 32GB the minimum at $199.

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
Unlikely for one simple reason.
A 5S is unlikely to be a major physical format change.
A more likely thought
Updated CPU/GPU, perhaps improved screen?, NFC, More colors, etc.

The iPhone 6 - that I could see taking a new screen size/res on, etc etc.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Have to wait for September 2014. That's when my contract expires. I probably could upgrade April 2014, but the contract stacks on top of the next one then. So there is no benefit to upgrade the earliest I can, since it won't get me the next upgrade any earlier. Still on my iPhone 4 and it works fine. Can't wait for iPhone 6!

Me too. The release of the, 'haven't we seen this before' iPhone5 made me realise that it is possible to get through life without having the latest and greatest. iPhone 6 is next on my list.

Last edited:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I don't personally want one, but I think Apple needs to make a 5.5 inch iPhone if they want to grab more of the high end market. Everyone at my place of business is choosing the Note over the iPhone because they want the biggest screen possible. Samsung's commercials also appear to be a big factor (they love the commercial with Lebron and the one where the wife is passing videos to her husband by touching the phones).

This analyst predicts that as soon as there is enough supply the iPad mini will be converted into a phone and be called

iMaxiPadPhone XXX

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
No need for more storage capacity, Apple is moving AWAY from local storage.
ie iCloud, iTunes Match, possible streaming service.
Don't we acknowledge that the future is moving towards ultra portable and light streaming/cloud based devices?

People say the same thing about Google's Nexus devices having a minuscule amount of storage (e.g. Nexus 4 with 16GB as the bigger option; or the GSM Galaxy Nexus only having 16GB -- which is one of the many reasons I bought an iPhone 4S instead). Personally, I want the biggest storage option I can get. I currently have the 64GB 4S, and I would love to have 128GB or even more! I shoot a lot of video and the more I can store on my phone the better.

Also, I still don't have enough storage space to store my entire music collection, so until that happens, give me more storage. I've tried iTunes Match, and it was horribly unreliable (though this was a while back). I use Spotify a lot, but I still can't get a song playing as quickly with it as I can with my locally-stored music (even Spotify lets you locally store the music). Often times, Spotify just doesn't start playing, and I just have to give up on it and switch to my locally stored music. Any time I rely on anything wireless, it's just not going to be 100% reliable.

I like cloud services, but I think they are complementary to local storage, and the future involves both massive amounts of storage on a tiny device coupled with constant connectivity. I, for one, want the best of both worlds in this regard.

For example, I love that my photos get uploaded to iCloud automatically. But I also love that I have thousands of photos on my iPhone itself that I can quickly browse through. I periodically run out of space with 64GB, so please give me more! The speed of a wireless connection will likely never catch up to the speed of local storage (especially latency), so please don't force me into using an inferior storage medium as my primary storage.

I think in the future we will see higher storage capacities in smaller sizes, so why not keep increasing this?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Guess that 128 GB option will set you back $500 on contract. NFC, 4.8 1080p display and colors have already been done before. Apple has nothing left in the gas tank.

Sent from a "hugely" popular Note 2.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
- Apple isn't going to put a retina display on the mini anytime soon. That resolution would be insane on that screen size.

I'm with you on most of the rest, but why is a Retina screen on an iPad mini insane? We already have it on millions of smaller screens, and the lack of one is probably the complaint I hear most about iPad mini, seeing as how one of the main selling points is being able to read on it. Reading only gets better the sharper the text. If IZGO tech does come into its own in the next year, this even seems to fall into plausable vs. nice to have.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
4.8" screen...

I am not even done updating for this 4inch screen. I will kill someone if we have to develop for yet another screen.

Otherwise yay.

Well depends on how Apple does it. A 4.8" screen could be much easier to develop for.

If they go to 4.8" it would mean the width gets increased to keep it 16:9. So depending on how apple does the resolution apps could just scale up to fill the screen. So updating apps might not be so bad.

The best way would be to make it really high res. and add a @3x option so all you have to do is update images.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
All I want is the 128 GB.

In an iPad Mini with retina display. As long as performance matches the iPad 3 (since 4 may be unrealistic).

My credit card awaits.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Where to start...

4.8'' ? Why would Apple change screen size again :confused:

Retina+? When human eyes can't discern pixels on a Retina display, why increase resolution further? Useless.

6-8 colors? Good luck with so many SKUs

It's not even plausible assumptions.

This analyst could write for DigiTimes as an intern. Just trowing out assumptions and hoping some will become true.

How much does this guy make? I want to be an analyst making up stuff, too. Rant over.

montclaire

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
I guess we shouldn't worry about our apple products being absolete in less than a year. After all there is an ebay and people from overseas will gladly pay for your old phone very good money you can use for an upgrade. You can factory unlock tem for $15 to $20 bucks. Just ask Craplist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.