Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wait! Ins't this the same "analyst" that made early predictions for the 5 just after the 4S came out. They turned out to be completely wrong, and I predict the same this time!!!

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
They tell us 4" is just right yet they have 4"8 in the pipeline I find it funny..

I reckon there just paranoid everybody goes for bigger Android phones. The Galaxy has already failed by having to release smaller one after there flagship one was well known for being just too BIG! :rolleyes:

Dude they said the same thing about the 3.5"

Yet the made it taller.

Seriously

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I hate those rumors.

Well now I am trying to buy a Iphone 5 and believe me it is amazingly extremely incredibly expensive here and hard to buy one.So I have to put some money together and wait for official sale. When I am almost buying they are saying another model is coming soon.I hate this situation.And I start thinking should I wait or should I buy. Because I believe that when you buy Iphone in my country you should upgrade it to 2 next models. I mean if you have 3G buy 5 . But know I am pissed.I don't know what to do and hate this situation.I know me , if I buy the 5 now and 5S comes out I wont be able to buy it and be pissed more.I think that the sites are also cutting the sales of Apple also with those rumors and more. So I want to thank who find this article or who writes this,Thanx to you I dont know what to do right now and cant choose and pissed.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Where to start...

4.8'' ? Why would Apple change screen size again :confused:

Retina+? When human eyes can't discern pixels on a Retina display, why increase resolution further? Useless.

6-8 colors? Good luck with so many SKUs

It's not even plausible assumptions.

This analyst could write for DigiTimes as an intern. Just trowing out assumptions and hoping some will become true.

How much does this guy make? I want to be an analyst making up stuff, too. Rant over.

Skus are for computers to manage. Not a big deal lol

----------

I hate those rumors.

Well now I am trying to buy a Iphone 5 and believe me it is amazingly extremely incredibly expensive here and hard to buy one.So I have to put some money together and wait for official sale. When I am almost buying they are saying another model is coming soon.I hate this situation.And I start thinking should I wait or should I buy. Because I believe that when you buy Iphone in my country you should upgrade it to 2 next models. I mean if you have 3G buy 5 . But know I am pissed.I don't know what to do and hate this situation.I know me , if I buy the 5 now and 5S comes out I wont be able to buy it and be pissed more.I think that the sites are also cutting the sales of Apple also with those rumors and more. So I want to thank who find this article or who writes this,Thanx to you I dont know what to do right now and cant choose and pissed.

Lol what?!

I don't get why you're mad

manicwinter

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
With people like this, I wonder how big is "too big"? Why not give the iPad phone capabilities?

As for 128 GB, I doubt this. With Apple pushing iCloud, why have the added space?

I've actually had a couple of people tell me they should let you make calls with the iPad. Some of the people at my work want the bigger screen for bragging purposes while most just want it because it's easier to read with their bad eyesight.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Dont other phones besides the S3 have those same features? Anyways, I think its good because the S3 is viewed as the cool, hip new phone by many and there is no reason apple should cling to its smaller screen if it can be more profitable with multiple versions.

It's cool and hip according to Samsung commercial but it's a terrible phone with half features don't work very well in reality. There's a new Kool Aid in town.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
There is an alternative view for each point you make.

This doesn't seem likely at all except for the IGZO display and improved camera.
Technology is improving at a rapid rate here, I would not dismiss any thing mentioned in the report as impossible.
6-8 colours would produce way too many SKUs (almost 100!),
This is only the case if you expect Apple to stick with the same cell chip and radio finals. Technology is rapidly improving here, they could easily have the hardware required to run on multiple service providers in one cell phone. It is really a matter of timing.

The other point is the continued use of color for the iPod line up. Apple would only do that because the offerings make customers happy. There is likely strong customer demand for other colors.
NFC is unlikely given that the current unibody design creates a Faraday cage and there's no room for a decent NFC antenna in the tiny glass windows.
You make an assumption here about the case design. A new iPhone can have any case design Apple wants to provide.
Battery will likely remain pretty much the same, any considerable improvement in battery life would be a result of the IGZO screen.
Battery tech improves right along with silicon tech. The rate isn't as rapid of course but frankly it has been a long time since Apple has significantly increased battery capacity.
Improved camera is a given though.
[/Quote]
Here I agree 100%. In fact I would like to see Apple design at least one iPhone where the camera is a principle feature of the device. This does mean designing to accommodate the optics but this is likely possible without blowing up the iPhone in thickness seriously.

Many will likely reject this idea but let's face it, some users would appreciate a photography focused iPhone. While a sensor improvement is always welcomed what would really sell such an iPhone is a quality optical ZOOM.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I think a June 2013 iPhone 5S release is a strong possibility. I'm just wonder if Apple will ever release two iPhones with two display sizes at the same time. They could release a 5S with 4" display and an iPhone 6 with 4.8" retina-plus display (HD). They began offering iPads with two different size displays this year (not counting that they sell the 3.5" iPhone 4S and 4" iPhone 5). As for different colors, after the iPod Touch getting multiple colors, the iPhone line would logically be next, well at least a third color like red would be appreciated.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Battery tech improves right along with silicon tech. The rate isn't as rapid of course but frankly it has been a long time since Apple has significantly increased battery capacity.

I don't think they've ever dramatically increased capacity for the iphone. They just did change battery chemistry, which is a big deal, but that's about it. I would bet if they did a phone as big as 4.8" the battery would get a little bigger.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Launch in Mid 2013

It's going to launch in September. If I were a betting man, that is what I would bet on. Think about it, the 5S is the improved 5 and the 6 is the redesigned version.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If you start your article by writing "Analyst suggests," back away from the keyboard slowly.

Vitiri

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
It's about time they start thinking beyond IPHONE #+S.

They need at least 2 iPhone models, at least 2!

1 for people with small hands that keep complaining about 4.8' screens and want that compact/petite look, and 1 for people that want bigger screens (people that are currently moving to S3 or Note 2).

Colors is a +, but not over do it. Red, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple and White and Black.

Also, maybe one day we can see the IOS go further than "Siri". Jobs didn't get where he is by thinking small.
:apple:

Last edited:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Why do you care? :confused:

I would like a 4.8" iphone. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I wouldn't mind if they added a 4.8" iPhone for those who want a huge phone, and kept a 4-4.2" phone with the EXACT SAME internals for the rest of us.

Android fanboys are often even upset at the lack of a truly high-end phone that doesn't have a monster screen. Not all of us want to use our phones two handed all the time.

If they want to have two iPhones, say an iPhone 6 with 4" screen and an iPhone 6+ with a 4.8" screen, with the only difference being the screen, I'd be perfectly fine with that. As long as they don't try and make the smaller device the 'budget' player like so many Android manufacturers have. As a result, in order to get a good device, you HAVE to buy a huge phone, which then leads to them saying "see..large screens sell!" Even though a large portion only bought the phone because it's the better phone, not because it has a large screen.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Would be nice if they made the $200 model 32gb but I guess that's too much to expect.

Agreed! I hate having to shell out so much extra for NAND just to fit a decent amount of music on to my phone. I still carry around an iPod classic because of this.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Peter Misek said:
Based on our checks, likely updates include a new super HD camera/screen, a better battery, and NFC. Possible updates include an IGZO screen for Retina+, 128GB storage, and coming in 6 to 8 colors.

I agree with pretty much everything here for the iPhone 5S. Upgraded camera is a given, better battery is a given. I don't really see how Apple could afford to wait nearly 1 1/2 years to implement the other features into the iPhone 6... not with the competition. IGZO screens depend on Sharp's financial situation, and if it doesn't improve, I could see Apple making a move and buying them out. IGZO and 128GB will most certainly occur by the time iPhone 6 is released. As for colors, why not? It's a personal mobile phone, not a piece of furniture. I see people walking around with iPhone cases of all colors. So what's the difference? To me, it's all about individuality- when people have choice, it's a good thing.

Tangent: I could see Apple bumping screen size up at some point, but I don't think it would ever go beyond 4.5" for the iPhone. Of course, the 'right' size for a phone is subjective, and there's always going to be people who want a larger one. I could foresee down the road where all iPads have receiver chips and SIM cards inside. If you have an iPad + iPhone, then you can register both with your carrier (must be the same carrier) and tie them all to one number. The caveat is that only one device can be used to place or receive calls at any one time. This would be done by using your Apple account which is connected to iCloud, and choosing which device is active. Going out on the town? Switch over to your phone. Lounging around the house or going into a board meeting? Switch it over to your iPad. This would solve the dilemma of how big a phone should be.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Has anyone complaining here actually looked at flash prices.

128 GB ???? that's ridiculous :D

what's gonna be the price ? $1500-2000 ? :eek:

Seriously dude take a look at the price of flash chips before making such statements. Full 128GB drives are cheap these days and Apple doesn't implement high performance SSDs in its hand held devices.

The big question should be what is taking Apple so long.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
4.8" screen...

I am not even done updating for this 4inch screen. I will kill someone if we have to develop for yet another screen.

Otherwise yay.

Agreed. I was so happy to find out that at least the iPad Mini had the same resolution as the original iPad. I thought I have to rewrite all my apps for the new screen or Apple would have to do some weird scaling. This is one of the biggest reasons I will never develop for Android.

4.8 would be a total Samsung thing to do. 4 is perfect--stop there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.