Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logan-c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I need some help figuring out how to get my itunes and devices setup the way I'd like.

Devices:
iPhone 5 - mine
iPad 3g - spouse
iPod Touch 4g - kid #1 (not setup yet, will be getting as a gift)
iPod Touch 2g - Kid #2 (used to be mine)
itunes v11
No Mac's, AppleTV or anything else Apple, not using iCloud

Not really knowing what I'm doing I setup my spouses iPad last March with their credit card and account on iTunes. My thought was to keep app purchases separate, along with separate iMessaging and all other content.

Well here I am now several months later and were about to relegate my old iPod Touch 2g to our youngest and get a new iPod Touch 4g to our other child. So thinking about how to setup the new iPod has got me thinking if I set everything up the way we'd really like, which I think I've probably messed up.

Here is what we really want:
Each device belongs to each person independently, so that we can each iMessage each other and not see each other's received texts. We all (have the ability to) share apps, movies, books and other content. Being a parent I want omnipotent control over kids devices! We don't really use iCloud, so that is one less thing to have to worry about.

I've noticed that my spouses iPad and my iPhone can share apps, but I haven't figured out how to share purchased movies, books and other content...

Do my kids need email addresses to establish iMessaging??? Really would like to avoid that. Obviously the iPod Touch 2g will not be able to use iMessage, but I'd like the iPod 4g to be able to use that.

I've read some tutorials on family device setup, but it gets over my head with all the options! Quite honestly the "Apple ID" and the "accounts" differences is the root of my confusion. Why is this so difficult?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.