Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
some warning, the iphone 5 is fragile as **** and the aluminum is very soft. I had a case on but the case was, i guess, so strong, it created a little knock near the power button

very small nick but whatever

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
Personally, I prefer to not use a case, but I use one because it gives me a better grip on the phone. I'm clumsy and it's just a matter of time before I drop it. I have Apple Care Plus, but still, the case makes it a lot easier to handle the phone. I prefer the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer - excellent case at a good price.

Last edited:

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Why is this a hard decision?

Do scratches bother you? If so, USE A CASE.

If you answered no to the question above, do NOT use a case.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got a case but i'm gonna take it off as soon as my full body "QooQoon silqShield Invisible" skin arrives

i just cant get used to the additional bulkiness of cases. always end up taking them off after a while. tried so many cases over the years

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
No case, if you are careful and if you do not care about some usage-scratches.
YES Case, if you care too much about your mobile phone, use a screen protector, a back protector, a big ass bulky case with all plugs to keep your phone from being used at all.

No case, you benifit from the design and the feeling.
With a case you use the phone, in a different way which it isn't ment to be, altough the resale value might be more after 2 years than without a case but you shouldn't care about that. But if you are sure you will drop your phone regularly I would go for a case.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
The problem with not using a case is that the darn phone is so slippery I'm bound to drop it at least once or twice. I'd rather go caseless but it's just not a good idea

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
As with every other iPhone I've owned, my 5 was initially in a case until I took it out to clean it and realized how much better it looks and feels without.
I have no problem with light scratches and wear on the bezel. I actually prefer a little character and once I have a little damage from usage I'm a lot less worried about future nicks/scratches/drops. I dropped my 4 more times than I can count and I didn't care a bit as long as it didn't crack.

miltonbull

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Sweden
Used a simple Belkin case on my black iPhone 5 when I first got it but now I prefer it naked. Its just a beatiful devide, its thin, light and good design on this thing. I looks lovley, sure Im might get scratches but its a just a device you use and replace, its not some ancient artifact im carrying around. Yeah yeah you get better paid when you resell it if its good lookin but still, just look at it. Ifs fricking gorgeous as it is :D

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Looks like an overwhelming majority voting no case. Shall we throw away our cases and show off our phones?

NYDiplomat

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
I will always use a case because I plan on having it for two years so the added protection is nice.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Looks like an overwhelming majority voting no case. Shall we throw away our cases and show off our phones?

Lol I was thinking the same. I mean mind u. I do have insurance for my phone and I guess people are right that one day it will get scratched and its not like its an Egyptian artefact that needs to be kept in a glass box?

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I got one of these and I really like it... It is not to bulky, adds some protection and grip...
Griffin Reveal

Attachments

• reveal-iphone5-black-1.jpg
    reveal-iphone5-black-1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 89

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Like everyone has been saying, use a thin case to protect against bumps and scratches. Why not use a full body skin like with front and back and side protectors?? Protects the same as using a thin case with still showing off the phone as if it was "naked." Also adds additional grip as some as mentioned the phone is slippery out of the box in which I agree. And a bulky case, well IMO whats the point in having an iPhone 5 if it feels and looks nothing like it. I midas well drive a ferrari with black tape all around it to protect from rock chips, scratches, etc. hey its a ferrari, but no one can see the beauty of it. ;) Just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.