Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I wouldn't use my iPad mini all that much. Is it very easy to fill 16 gigabytes?

There are lots of threads on this already, but......16 is fine for casual use and even putting a lot of photos and some music. If you plan on downloading movies or even more than a few games, you will need more than 16. I would say go for 32 if you plan on keeping it for more than a year.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I wouldn't use my iPad mini all that much. Is it very easy to fill 16 gigabytes?

There are lots of threads on this already, but......16 is fine for casual use and even putting a lot of photos and some music. If you plan on downloading movies or even more than a few games, you will need more than 16. I would say go for 32 if you plan on keeping it for more than a year.

I have a 1st gen 16GB wifi iPad. It is overstuffed. How do I define overstuffed? "Only" 2.4 GB free. What's wrong with "only" 2.4 GB free? It is often impossible to use "update all" to update my applications because there isn't enough free space on my iPad and I'm forced to update them one by one.

I recently got an iPhone 5 and it is 32 GB. If I get an iPad mini, it will be 32 GB or larger. I might also opt for the cellular model even if I rarely use it because I would want GPS.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
32gb is the way to go.

16gb take off 3gb for the OS, then find there is an irritating "Other" worth 1gb that you can never seem to free up.....then take into account iPads tend to be heavy media usage items then yes 16gb fills up way too fast.

Lots buy a 16 regretting it and wishing they bought a 32, few by a 32 regretting it wishing they bought a 16.

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Apps, Pictures and Video files sizes are only getting larger. My music collection far exceeds the 64gb cap. As a result I went for the 64gb version, I was sick of deleting music files to make room for Apps, Pictures and Videos. Previously had 32gb....moved to 64gb with the new purchase.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I worked with my 16GB iPad 1 for over two years. It was tight at times, I had a playlist in iTunes with 2GB of music I had created for my iPod Nano which worked well enough, and I also compressed shows I wanted to carry down to 320x240 resolution. I bought Air Video for the iPad and that let me stream movies from my server to it anywhere in the world with a network connection and it had space for a good number of books. I coped but this time around I went for 64GB to give me more room to work in. I've bought my wife a 16GB mini because I know she'll just use hers around the house and she won't be storing movies or music on it so 16GB will be ample.

The 16GB model has the benefit of being the lowest priced entry to the iPad world, and it is every bit an iPad.

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
If you can afford it you should absolutely go with 32. If you plan to store any videos or books for offline viewing they will take up lots of space. I have what I consider to be a moderate amount of content on my 32g mini and I only have 6g
free.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
i've gone for the 32 since the 2nd gen (my first gen was 64 and i never filled came close to filling it), my wife tried the 16 mini but it was to constricting so we traded out for the 32

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Go with at least a 32GB. My iPad 1 was a 32 and it was amazing. I never worried about it "filling" up and usually had 10-12gb free. Earlier this year I won an iPad 3 which was just 16gb and it was very constricting. I had to pare down the items and programs on my iPad and watch what was still available.

When the iPad mini came out I got the 64gb wifi model. Very very happy that I did. Although 64gb isa bit overkill for now I just feel better knowing I have a lot of free space available and when needed it is there.

Duwsh

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
My brother has the iPhone 4 (8gb) and he says he has a hard time filling that, although he doesn't listen to much music but still. I doubt you'll be taking loads of photos on it anyway would you and dropbox is always good to store photos so your ipad is clean of loads of them. I think 16gb is a good amount, they wouldn't offer it if it wasn't, that's why they got rid of the 8gb phone models.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
My brother has the iPhone 4 (8gb) and he says he has a hard time filling that, although he doesn't listen to much music but still. I doubt you'll be taking loads of photos on it anyway would you and dropbox is always good to store photos so your ipad is clean of loads of them. I think 16gb is a good amount, they wouldn't offer it if it wasn't, that's why they got rid of the 8gb phone models.

The OP is talking about an iPad not an iPhone. iPad will fill up much faster.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It all depends on how you use it. If you want to have a bunch of movies or apps, it is probably best to get the 32GB.

mathi-vadhanan

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2011
Socal

Seriously, If you wouldn't use a device all that much, isn't it better to save the money for something useful.

It really depends upon your usage. I rarely take my iPad 4 out of home and have every media on hard disks connected to my router. I have around 60-70 apps including few large games and still have 6 GB left.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Because people with iPads are much more likely to load movies on the device as well as photos as well as fully featured apps like games.

I even challenge that assertion to a large degree.

Nobody I know with an ipad actually loads movies on it. Instead, they stream either from a server or an app like netflix, crackle etc

Same with photos. I know I use mainly dropbox and photosharing sites for pictures or stream my iphoto library. I just dont consider the ipad to be my primary storage device but more like a wifi assisted tool

But hey what do I know aside from what I personally experience.

FWIW I just have a 16 gig ipad with like 9 gigs free and a 32 gig iphone with 8 gigs free

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Before I got iPad mini I was set on the 16GB model, but I had a couple of buddies of mine convince me to get a 32GB, which I'm glad I did. However, unfortunate circumstances forced me back to the Apple store to get my iPad mini replaced because of defects. As it turned out one of the geniuses decided to be generous and gave me a 64GB instead! :D

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have the 16gb since release day. And I've yet to fill it up... always have 3+ gb free. BUT I don't have nearly all my games installed. I'm thinking I will just get a 32gb so I can leave all the games (I own a bunch large sized games but only have Bastion on at the moment) I've paid money for on there without being concerned about space as well as have my 10-15 videos on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.