Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bazinga!!

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Belgium
iPhones are not My Little Poneys for Christ sake! Bring out different screen sizes, no one gives a **** about the color.

ME Nick

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Colorado
Also, I still don't have enough storage space to store my entire music collection, so until that happens, give me more storage.

I think in the future we will see higher storage capacities in smaller sizes, so why not keep increasing this?

I agree, I currently have a 64GB iPhone 5 so that I can get my entire music library and movie collection in my pocket.
But I think this type of device owner will gravitate towards iPads, especially the iPad Mini to carry entire libraries of data. Plus the iPad platform is more geared for the sit down, and "browse massive amounts of data" user.

We should expect storage capacities to grow in iPads, but as LTE improvements roll out, streaming will be much easier, and the cheaper alternative.
I'm willing to sacrifice storage capacity so that Apple can enlist greater wireless/cell tech, while keeping price the same.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
In the same vain as the iPod touch line I imagine the colors would have a white bezel, the black being the only one with a black bezel. I did a few mockups, including a Product (RED) one. I wouldn't mind one actually.

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 78
  • green.jpg
    green.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 62
  • red.jpg
    red.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 60
  • purple.jpg
    purple.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 68

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
There is no way they are going to update both the iPhone and iPad in the same month, for the same reason they didn't do it this year (with the iPad mini). iPhone will probably be around June but iPad will wait until at least August

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Keep guessing NFC until it happens huh? If the 5S doesn't have it, the 6 will, if the 6 doesn't, the 6S will.......

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
In the same vain as the iPod touch line I imagine the colors would have a white bezel, the black being the only one with a black bezel. I did a few mockups, including a Product (RED) one. I wouldn't mind one actually.

I don't see the point of offering a colored side/back and a white bezel, since most people will put it in a case that covers up all the color. Only way that makes sense is to color the bezel (which I really hope they do, because how awesome would an orange-bezeled phone in a red case look?)

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis

I love your mockups! I am pretty sure many people would go for it

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Oh, so when Apple does this, it gets you excited. But when Samsung does it, you call it flooding the market to see what sticks. Got it.

I'm sorry, I don't see the comparison really. This is two devices over the span of 18 months, not oodles of devices every year. This isn't "flooding the market."

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
A screen that big is wasted on the iPhone. I love iOS for its stability and app selection, but the look has become so stale. And without any kind of option for widgets, live icons, etc, I can't see a screen that big being put to use as much as one may think. Yeah browsing would be a lot better, but if I'm going to have that much screen real estate I want ios to be tweaked to allow me to place the info that's important to me on the lock/home screen so I can glance and get the info I need.

I'm all for different screen sizes, I wish the iPhone offered more than the two current sizes.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
I hope it doesn't come in other colors. Black and white is enough.

Really? Who cares if it comes out in other colors? People who want them will buy them, people who don't will buy boring black or white. Of all the things to care about with regards to possible specs etc., this should really be right at the absolute bottom of the list.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I don't see the point of offering a colored side/back and a white bezel, since most people will put it in a case that covers up all the color. Only way that makes sense is to color the bezel (which I really hope they do, because how awesome would an orange-bezeled phone in a red case look?)

I do agree with you, I would prefer a colored bezel, I was just following what they're doing with the iPod line this generation.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Technology is improving at a rapid rate here, I would not dismiss any thing mentioned in the report as impossible.

This is only the case if you expect Apple to stick with the same cell chip and radio finals. Technology is rapidly improving here, they could easily have the hardware required to run on multiple service providers in one cell phone. It is really a matter of timing.

The other point is the continued use of color for the iPod line up. Apple would only do that because the offerings make customers happy. There is likely strong customer demand for other colors.

You make an assumption here about the case design. A new iPhone can have any case design Apple wants to provide.

Battery tech improves right along with silicon tech. The rate isn't as rapid of course but frankly it has been a long time since Apple has significantly increased battery capacity.

Here I agree 100%. In fact I would like to see Apple design at least one iPhone where the camera is a principle feature of the device. This does mean designing to accommodate the optics but this is likely possible without blowing up the iPhone in thickness seriously.

Many will likely reject this idea but let's face it, some users would appreciate a photography focused iPhone. While a sensor improvement is always welcomed what would really sell such an iPhone is a quality optical ZOOM.

The colored iPod touch lineup only comes in 2 capacities though, and we'll see about the next iPhone chip but I doubt it will be a 100% world phone. I don't know technically why but it seems so hard to do.

As for the case design, it wouldn't be called "iPhone 5S" if it has a new case design. Either there's NFC, either it has a new case design, since both at the same time is impossible (according to Anandtech anyway).

The analyst claims both that it'll be a 5S and that it'll have NFC, which I don't think will happen.

The iPhone 4 had a 1,420 mAh battery, and the iPhone 4S had a 1,432 mAh battery. That's a 0.8% improvement. We may see a slightly better capacity improvement in the 5S but I doubt it'll be more than 5% if it's in the same case, judging by the past.

Every time a new iPhone is expected, people have huge expectations and always end up disappointed. I'm just trying to be realistic.

I don't think 128GB will happen either. Not that it's technically impossible, I just think it won't happen.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Baloney to the idea of streaming being cost effective.

I agree, I currently have a 64GB iPhone 5 so that I can get my entire music library and movie collection in my pocket.
But I think this type of device owner will gravitate towards iPads, especially the iPad Mini to carry entire libraries of data. Plus the iPad platform is more geared for the sit down, and "browse massive amounts of data" user.

We should expect storage capacities to grow in iPads, but as LTE improvements roll out, streaming will be much easier, and the cheaper alternative.
Streaming costs a small fortune over cellular networks, I don't ever see it as cheaper than having enough flash for your libraries. Especially musical libraries where songs could be played multiple times.
I'm willing to sacrifice storage capacity so that Apple can enlist greater wireless/cell tech, while keeping price the same.
Not me! Frankly I want an iPad with more storage at an affordable price point. 128 GB in the midrange model would be nice. As it is now anything above the base model is a complete ripoff as you are paying huge dollars for nothing more than a doubling of flash capacity at each step. This really sucks when 16GB of flash can be had for $10 or so.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
The colored iPod touch lineup only comes in 2 capacities though, and we'll see about the next iPhone chip but I doubt it will be a 100% world phone. I don't know technically why but it seems so hard to do.
Of course it isn't easy to do, that doesn't make it impossible though. Even if it isn't one design for the world significantly reducing the number of models required would be a big win.
As for the case design, it wouldn't be called "iPhone 5S" if it has a new case design. Either there's NFC, either it has a new case design, since both at the same time is impossible (according to Anandtech anyway).
I have no respect for Anandtech whatsoever. IPhone cases are CNC machined so alterations are fairly simple. Further there is a pretty significant amount of glass on the front of those iPhones so I don't see a NFC problem at all.
The analyst claims both that it'll be a 5S and that it'll have NFC, which I don't think will happen.
I'm not too sure myself but it isn't a technical issue with respect to RF. for Apple I would imagine security is the bigger issue. To that end I willing to bet that if the iPhone gets NFC it will also get a finger print reader.
The iPhone 4 had a 1,420 mAh battery, and the iPhone 4S had a 1,432 mAh battery. That's a 0.8% improvement. We may see a slightly better capacity improvement in the 5S but I doubt it'll be more than 5% if it's in the same case, judging by the past.
It all depends upon the availability of new chemistries. People significantly underestimate just how much research has been going into lithium batteries. One sub category is batteries for tools which are seeing new generations of batteries being introduced right now.
Every time a new iPhone is expected, people have huge expectations and always end up disappointed. I'm just trying to be realistic.
Well that is most certainly true. However many of the things mentioned in the report aren't hard to do.
I don't think 128GB will happen either. Not that it's technically impossible, I just think it won't happen.
Frankly I'd rather see it happen in the iPad first. IPad is a far more interesting place for a large secondary store.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Ask any security person with knowledge of NFC...so easily hackable without having to touch the phone....not a good thing....and don't be swayed by the commercials of the Galaxy phones sending videos with the touch of a phone....it's not that fast to move video data instantly....

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
4.9" might happen. If Apple can make an iPad with a phone PPI (iPad Mini), why not make a phone with tablet PPI? The retina iPad has a PPI of 264, whereas the iPhone 4/5 has 326 PPI. Thus, the screen size can be as big as: 4 * (326 / 264) = 4.93939394 inch.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
This is the stupidest rumor in the world. "Let's just list every killer feature we want on the iPhone and pretend it's news!"

- Apple isn't going to change the screen size again for years.
- NFC? Really? It's pretty clear that Apple doesn't support the technology.
- Apple isn't going to dilute the iPhone brand buy offering it like an iPod with six colors.
- Apple already has a low cost iPhone. It's called the iPhone 4. Apple doesn't make "low cost" products.
- Apple isn't going to put a retina display on the mini anytime soon. That resolution would be insane on that screen size.

When I read over all that stuff again. It does sound like this "analyst" wants Apple to be Samsung.
Apple can make a cheaper iPhone which they will call 'different', just like the iPad Mini is not just a cheaper iPad.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
These analysts make paychecks by spouting the stuff blowing in the wind, the stuff that they throw at the fan. It's pure manure.

That said, this could all be true. Not because he knows anything, mind you.

It's about time they did a 128GB iAnything.
The mid-2013 launch is a popular rumor these days. I would not blink if they released it in April or May to speed up the tick-tock of research-release. It would help Apple conquer the market if they did bi-yearly releases of the iDevices (aside from iPods).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.