Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Ah! Does iCloud email automatically purge my trash after 1 month? My Apple Mail setting is to "never" purge my trash, yet everything in my iCloud trash dating back over 1 month is gone. How did this happen, and how can I disable the purging? Thanks.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Don't think you can for iCloud mail same as MobileMe

Whatever setting you have, trash is deleted after a month, this is set on the server end as far as i know

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Seriously? I'm going to have to move back to gmail if this is the case. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I had years (literally) of emails in my trash before I migrated.

LakeCountry

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
Seriously? I'm going to have to move back to gmail if this is the case. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I had years (literally) of emails in my trash before I migrated.

Yes, sadly! You can see that in the mail settings panel at icloud.com...

Maybe you just want to create a new folder and use that as the trash folder!? In Mail.app you can then determine the new folder to be the trash. ;)

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The real question is, why are you using the trash as a storage folder for emails you want to keep?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Not used the feature and don't use mac mail anymore so unsure how it works

Doesn't mail now have an archive feature similar to gmails

If so you could use archive instead of delete, wont help with what you have lost, but might prevent it happening again

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Well, I always just used my trash as my archive. So long as it didn't purge, I'd have my entire history. Perhaps I should be using a separate archive folder instead, though of course then I can't use the simple "delete" key all the time.

In any case, it appears I hit my 5GB max in iCloud anyway, so it's time to move back to Gmail.

Is it possible to pull my old emails of of Time Machine and drop them back into gmail?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Well, I always just used my trash as my archive. So long as it didn't purge, I'd have my entire history. Perhaps I should be using a separate archive folder instead, though of course then I can't use the simple "delete" key all the time.

In any case, it appears I hit my 5GB max in iCloud anyway, so it's time to move back to Gmail.

Is it possible to pull my old emails of of Time Machine and drop them back into gmail?

or just add gmail to mac mail then drag all your email from your iCloud mailboxes to your gmail mailboxes.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Right. I can do that for the past 30 days, but for all those old emails that got purged (which used to be local, I think/hope), I'd like to move those too.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Okay, I moved everything back to gmail but I have an issue: Mail is not sending. I re-enabled everything and my outgoing server settings are correct. However, when I hit send, it just sits in my local outbox. Any idea?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.