Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

my157

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
I have had my IPAD mini for over a month now. From the beginning I have had problems with the wifi disconnecting from the network. I thought that this problem would be corrected via a software update. It has not. I have never had this problem with my original IPad. I contacted Apple support today and they wanted me to completely reset my mini to see if the problem was a software problem. They said that if this did not fix the problem then I could go to the Apple store and they could determine if the problem was a hardware related.

I have to completely reset up my mini and reload all of my Apps and documents if my mini is reset. It seems to me that this is another Apple quality problem that they are choosing to inconvenience and jerk around their customers rather than acknowledge. At this point, I very much regret purchasing the mini rather than the Amazon Fire. I paid quite a bit more expecting a higher quality device that would be less time consuming for me to transfer my existing apps and documents. I think that Apple is going the way of the US auto industry in the 70s. Putting out poor quality products and denying quality problems.

The IPad mini definitely has a wifi disconnect problem that Apple is not acknowleging. I am recommending to my friends that they go with one of the Android tablets. Less money, better quality.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Well you can restore via itunes/icloud, so you don't have to start from scratch.

As far as Android tablets, they have their share of glitches too, there is no perfect device out there. I know it can be frustrating dealing with device glitches/shortcomings like this, but I find the iPad less frustrating that others :)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
It's not a widespread issue as mine works. I connect it to a variety of networks like 802.11 G, N, and even enterprise 802.11x networks. No issues. It sucks you have these problems but no matter how good/bad Apple's QC is, there will always be a defective unit somewhere.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Mine drops connection but it is probably the network being unstable. I connect at B&N, libraries, Panera, etc. I got what I paid for, free wifi, but I cannot draw a conclusion it is the Mini in my situations.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
it sounds like your mini has an issue, take it back and get a new one
from what you've written it sounds like they are all to happy to do this, so i don't see how they are jerking you around, try getting a nexus worked on by google...

i've had android tablets, they have the same build issues (and more) than apple

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Funny, ALL of my routers are Netgear and I have zero problems. I generally regard Netgear as the best non-Apple brand of routers.

That is funny, as I've had nothing but problems with mine since iOS6 devices started appearing. And it seems Netgear are aware of this also.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21865/~/wi-fi-issues-with-ios-6

----------

Less money, better quality.

Incidentally, I imagine your friends will definitely agree with you on your first point. Second, no.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
That is funny, as I've had nothing but problems with mine since iOS6 devices started appearing. And it seems Netgear are aware of this also.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21865/~/wi-fi-issues-with-ios-6

I can't vouch for every single Netgear router out there but I have two WNDR3400 N600 routers. I'm running dual-band N at 5GHz and single-band G at 2.4Ghz with WPA2-PSK AES passwords. These are default settings and I have zero problems. I seem to remember most of the problems regarding routers and WiFi connectivity issues was related to the password encryption standards ( if you use WPA2-PSK AES, TKIP or both).

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I have had my IPAD mini for over a month now. From the beginning I have had problems with the wifi disconnecting from the network. I thought that this problem would be corrected via a software update. It has not. I have never had this problem with my original IPad. I contacted Apple support today and they wanted me to completely reset my mini to see if the problem was a software problem. They said that if this did not fix the problem then I could go to the Apple store and they could determine if the problem was a hardware related.

I have to completely reset up my mini and reload all of my Apps and documents if my mini is reset. It seems to me that this is another Apple quality problem that they are choosing to inconvenience and jerk around their customers rather than acknowledge. At this point, I very much regret purchasing the mini rather than the Amazon Fire. I paid quite a bit more expecting a higher quality device that would be less time consuming for me to transfer my existing apps and documents. I think that Apple is going the way of the US auto industry in the 70s. Putting out poor quality products and denying quality problems.

The IPad mini definitely has a wifi disconnect problem that Apple is not acknowleging. I am recommending to my friends that they go with one of the Android tablets. Less money, better quality.

My goodness. Just because you are having a disconnect problem does not mean the issue is universal or that Apple is producing "poor quality products."

I had a similar problem with my iPod touch 5G (all other Apple products connected to my home network instantly). I solved it by forgetting my network, then typing the name of my network in the "other," section, adding my password, and then instructing it to "renew lease."

That permanently solved the issue for me. You've got nothing to lose by trying it.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
So... you had an issue with your product and the manufacturer is offering to help resolve the issue. This issue is also limited to your particular unit and not widespread across many units. Tell me again what the problem is?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

Day one Mini owner, never seen a drop in wifi once. Try resetting network settings only, not the whole iPad. None of my friends have had any issues either , some even being 3 or 4 thick walls away from a router in work. It's either your router or that particular device. Try the Genius Bar....or go Amazon, we don't want you having regrets, now, do we?

djpirate

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
[iPad Mini] IPad Mini WIFI Disconnect Issues

The issue is a Hardware issue and I have fixed it by resetting my encryption on my router. I have changed the setting to WEP and then manually set the network name and password on my iPad mini. It has not dropped off once since I have made the change. :D

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Disconnect while you're using it, or after you turn it off and then back on? My first Apple product was an iPod 5G, and it disconnected from my Netgear router each time the device was turned off. A quick look at Apple Support site provided the answer: go to Setting/ Network and click on Other. Type in the name of your router and enter password. Never failed to reconnect after that, and all of my Apple devices are connected this way. That would help if you're failing to reconnect, and not suddenly loosing your connection while using the iPad.

Edit: I didn't see djpirate's post above mine, but he's doing the same thing as me, except I didn't change my router's encryption.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I use mine sometimes up to six or seven hours a day and I have no disconnection issues at all, I get a solid straight Wi-Fi connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.