Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edovann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Is it 100% safe buying from people at craigslist?
it seems to be worse than eBay..

I got one person wants to sell the iPhone 5 for 450$ for the 16gb and 600$ for the 64gb..
Is that a good deal with someone who gets it from the factory or is it a fraud?

He sound like it is real, but i have doubts'so i wanted to ask here..

Hope someone can help me .

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I've sold all of my previous models when upgrading to a new one. That seems like a LOW price though. If anything DEFINITELY have the seller meet you at your local AT&T or Verizon store and have them verify the phone on the spot before money is exchanged... Is the 64bg a white one lol?

The Simpleton

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
I agree. Seems to good to be true, so probably is.

If you are still interested then perhaps meet in person (if you are feeling brave).

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I just bought mine on CL brand new for $600
I met him at AT&T so the reps there can activate the phone on my line
Got new nano sim and whole process took 10 mins
I then gave him the cash
Good guy, but always use your best judgement

Bring someone with you if your not comfortable

edovann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
lol

He says he can provide a large amount of them, he doesn't have only 1 of each..

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I'd say meet at a public place and check it out yourself. It's really hard to pass a counterfeit iPhone as the real thing. Maybe call Apple and double check the serial number is valid. But if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

edovann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
I'd say meet at a public place and check it out yourself. It's really hard to pass a counterfeit iPhone as the real thing. Maybe call Apple and double check the serial number is valid. But if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

I am afraid we don't live in the same country so i can't meet him,if i could would certainly meet him already.. he said he will send via fedex

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Is it 100% safe buying from people at craigslist?
it seems to be worse than eBay..

I got one person wants to sell the iPhone 5 for 450$ for the 16gb and 600$ for the 64gb..
Is that a good deal with someone who gets it from the factory or is it a fraud?

He sound like it is real, but i have doubts'so i wanted to ask here..

Hope someone can help me .

Is walking down the street 100% safe? What kind of question is this? How are any of us supposed to know if your situation is safe or not? I swear some don't think before hitting the keyboard.

Now to answer the part of your post that actually makes sense....
IF you need to come and ask if something is safe/legit I think you have your answer. The guy is FOS and you'll get ripped off, mugged, or basically buggered.

I am afraid we don't live in the same country so i can't meet him,if i could would certainly meet him already.. he said he will send via fedex
Wow, this keeps getting better and better.... Yes, you should make a deal with this guy, sounds 100% on the up and up and I'm sure you won't get ripped off. :rolleyes:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Oh never mind then.
Its a definate scam then.
He will ask you to western union him money and then he will send you the iphone by fedex:rolleyes:
Yeah, good luck with that.
Trust anyone on the internet to keep his promise that he will send you anything once he gets your money.
There's a sucker born every minute they say:D

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Only buy/sell things on CL in person.

Exactly. Never, EVER buy things via mail on Craigslist. And then, you meet in a public place like a restaurant or something (there are lots of reports of CL muggings and such (You got the cash? <pulls gun>). I'm sure 90% of CL sales are legit from friendly people, but there are a fair number of scam artists out there as well, so you need to be careful, more so than on eBay.

edovann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Thank you everybody!

I just wanted to make sure not to do business with this guy.. and make sure i am not stupid to think it is a scam or something

cheers!

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012

NO WAY! You have no recourse if he sends an empty box. Run for Z hills!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
He can supply a large supply of iPhone5's at below cost as long as you send all your money via Western Union before he ships anything.... :eek:

Buy it from the store. :apple:

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Like others say. Always meet at a ATT or VZ store. Have them verify that the phone has not been reported stolen before you buy it. There are more and more scams going on these days of people getting sold phones with bad ime's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.