Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPro23

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Apple has over $110 billion in cash. I was thinking why don't they just hire people to go out with street-view cars like Google and map the roadways. They would also be able to create there own database of POI's.

They could even launch a satellite and get their own up to date imagery. I read an article that Google launched their own satellite a couple years ago.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Apple has over $110 billion in cash. I was thinking why don't they just hire people to go out with street-view cars like Google and map the roadways. They would also be able to create there own database of POI's.

They could even launch a satellite and get their own up to date imagery. I read an article that Google launched their own satellite a couple years ago.

It's not about money or manpower, it's simply about time.

The amount of effort involved in accurately mapping THE WORLD is not a small task.

You can't just go in a car and "map the roadways", it's much more technical than that.

Apple thought it could buy in data from a variety of different sources and that they would end up with a class leading product, but the reality is far from that.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
If they actually had a competent Maps team with set priorities, a large number of POIs would be fixed everyday given the amount of feedback/corrections sent by iOS users everyday.

But that ain't the case. People have sent the same correction for incorrect POIS 10 times and it has yet to be corrected. What does this say about Apple and their team? Seriously, why put a "Report a problem" button when you aren't keen on fixing problems in your own application?? :mad:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
What takes time isn't getting information from users but verifying that it is correct. I could have 10 of my friends report, incorrectly, that a rival's restaurant has closed, moved, etc. If Apple just accepted those 10 people's statements they would have made something wrong from something that was right.
And don't think people would not mis-report data - either on purpose or by accident.
If you are going to fix things - which they must - they must make sure that what they are correcting is not accurate.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Eat humble pie and pay Google the necessary dollars to get a top end implementation that has feature parity with Android...

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
If they actually had a competent Maps team with set priorities, a large number of POIs would be fixed everyday given the amount of feedback/corrections sent by iOS users everyday.

But that ain't the case. People have sent the same correction for incorrect POIS 10 times and it has yet to be corrected. What does this say about Apple and their team? Seriously, why put a "Report a problem" button when you aren't keen on fixing problems in your own application?? :mad:

What would you consider a "large number of POIs" that could be fixed in a single day? And whatever that number is, it's quite possible that they do fix that many but that it pales in comparison to "the amount of feedback/corrections sent by iOS users everyday."

Also, assuming they get many reports daily, they likely have to figure out a way to prioritize those reports, meaning that the POIs that people have sent 10 times may be part of a total of, say, 50 that potentially places it far down that priorities list compared to other reports.

The bottom line is that we don't know. We don't know how many reports they fix, how many they get, and how they deal with them in general.

Also, what CTHarrryH said:

What takes time isn't getting information from users but verifying that it is correct. I could have 10 of my friends report, incorrectly, that a rival's restaurant has closed, moved, etc. If Apple just accepted those 10 people's statements they would have made something wrong from something that was right.
And don't think people would not mis-report data - either on purpose or by accident.
If you are going to fix things - which they must - they must make sure that what they are correcting is not accurate.

Eat humble pie and pay Google the necessary dollars to get a top end implementation that has feature parity with Android...

Or do things your way, Apple, which certainly wouldn't strike me as out of the ordinary.

Considering the piles-o-cash that Apple has, I highly doubt their move away from Google's maps has anything to do with money. But that isn't necessarily what you were saying. It's more likely that it has to do with data, which you could argue is money these days but that's not the point, and who gets the data and then how it's used.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

Right, because Google withholding vital features (turn-by-turn?) had nothing to do with it...

I'm not saying Apple didn't leap before they looked, but people seem to forget that Google was partially responsible for this mess too. Apple wouldn't be so hard-pressed to build their own Maps app if Google was willing to play ball.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I don't want Apple to spend time/money on Maps.

They should just license the data from other companies.

I rather have Apple spend time/money improving the iPhone/iPad/Mac and iOS/MacOS.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

That's just a small part of the larger problem. The data they've bought/licensed from TomTom is accurate for the most part. Yelp maybe not so much but it's the algorithm, the programming that is the problem. Mapping is extremely complicated especially when trying to compile information from 3 or 4 sources. This can and probably will take a couple years to sort out. While they can fix things point by point trying to do it that way would take a century if at all possible. In the end it's the algorithms they use that will pull it all together.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Right...because they licensed the data from other companies, a problem that won't improve since there are practically no other companies to license from without going to Google, Nokia, or Microsoft.

Garmin and TeleAtlas has been doing GPS and mapping longer than Google, Microsoft, Nokia.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Garmin and TeleAtlas has been doing GPS and mapping longer than Google, Microsoft, Nokia.

I think he meant for the poi info...the amount of data Google has and the logic they have built to find the most appropriate one will be hard to ever match unless Apple decides to create/buy their own "search engine" technology.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Besides the already mentioned lack of POI, Tele Atlas was bought out by Tom Tom and closed its doors over 4 years ago.

I know Tom Tom acquired TeleAtlas.

Apple is currently its maps from Tom Tom, or TeleAtlas map data.

You are the one who thinks there are "no other companies to license from without going to Google, Nokia, or Microsoft."

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

You are the one who thinks there are "no other companies to license from without going to Google, Nokia, or Microsoft."

There aren't. Most of the other mapping data providers other than those Apple are already using are either tiny and present huge integration issues since you'll have to get licences from tens of thousands of them, or are under exclusive contracts with Google, Nokia or Microsoft.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

So, you knew a company had been acquired and has since long shut its doors, but you decided to mention them as a viable alternative to what Apple is doing (even though they were bought out by Apple's current provider)? Gotcha.

The key word in what I wrote is 'other.' Since Apple is already licensing data from Tom Tom, Yelp, and a few others (and having very little success), they would need to go to other companies to get their data from. And yes, without going through Google, Nokia, or Microsoft, they'd be hard pressed to find much better data than what they already are licensing.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
So, you knew a company had been acquired and has since long shut its doors, but you decided to mention them as a viable alternative to what Apple is doing (even though they were bought out by Apple's current provider)? Gotcha.

You made it sound like TeleAtlas went bankrupt and their data no longer exist. TeleAtlas was acquire by TomTom and it's absorb into the company.

Who do you think Apple get their maps from? TomTom, which is TeleAtlas mapping data.

If it makes you happy: TomTom/TeleAtlas.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
You made it sound like TeleAtlas went bankrupt and their data no longer exist. TeleAtlas was acquire by TomTom and it's absorb into the company.

Who do you think Apple get their maps from? TomTom, which is TeleAtlas mapping data.

If it makes you happy: TomTom/TeleAtlas.

No, I made it sound like Apple's current mapping strategy of licensing data wasn't working...especially since they don't have many other options to choose from for licensing.

You made it sound like Tele Atlas is a viable alternative.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011

No. But looking at the satellite images with the roads overlay you can clearly see most of the problems.

DSH7

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012

I agree. Apple's goal should be to make the best possible product. No one does maps and search as well as Google....Apple should license it and give us a better product. Apple does many things better than the rest....that's why I buy their stuff. But if they really want to put out the best possible product, they should stick to what they do best and be willing to take advantage of what others do best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.