Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
I'll use another users photos to simplify this:

imag0410o.jpg

imag0411nh.jpg

imag0409u.jpg

If you want this case in metallic soft touch slate, with a matching clip please contact the manufacturer and ask them to make it in slate now.

http://www.iphonecaze.com/contacts/

Protection in it's Class: 10/10

This thing is shockingly small. At first I didn't think it would offer great protection, but it offers amazing protection. The craze thin edge is designed to such perfect fitment and tolerances that it hugs the phone amazingly well and the band is held on with just enough tension and because the fitment is so good, it actually creates a bit of a vacume from the bumper to the bezel, keeping it on, so it's not going to come loose. The band also has some give to it material wise so it absorbs shock. So it has the absolute most protection possible from it's size, from the contouring the makes drop forces distribute evenly to the just great fitment overall.

I am extremely clumsy and when I got my iPhone 5 right away I dropped it and dinged the bezel. It was replaced under warranty thankfully for an unrelated defect.

I've dropped the iPhone 5 onto hard tile and concrete more times than I can count now. From as high as 6 feet, and neither the case nor the phone show any damage. It seems to defy the laws of physics. Earlier today I even dropped the phone while running (a first) and it flew across a hard tile floor 6 feet tumbled, and had no damage. You'd have to give this some serious serious abuse before anything happens.

The bumper has great rear lay on table protection, but has very close to no front lay on table protection which means if you drop it your rear will be fine but your screen will be scratched. You NEED a front screen protector, which is no big deal. I'm running it without a rear screen protector but with a front one. No damage from multiple drops and slides.

Function: 9/10

Wow, again here. Because they used a soft touch material this case has a pretty amazing property. It actually manages to be grippy without using rubber. This means when you use it on a counter it won't slide, and it doesn't slide out of your pant pockets. No other solid plastic case that I know of does this.

The case is also so thin that it doesn't interfere with any audio cables. You can actually plug them in over the case. This is a pretty amazing feat in and of itself.

The buttons are also perfectly usable by any person and I have big fingers. They are a little annoying to use because they are slightly inset, which is why I took off 1 point, but if you want buttons on buttons you won't get a case this thin so it's a small price to pay, and buttons on buttons are rarely any more responsive than the normal buttons inset into the case.

The case may or may not work with the 30 pin to lightning adaptor cable, but even if it doesn't this can be will be eliminated once lightning extension cables come out.

Design: 8/10

There's not a lot to complain about with the design, it's very thin and very nice. I just wish they offered a clip without the "CAZE" logo on it. That's the only part I don't like. Minus 1 point for the logo, and 1 point for the somewhat bulkier than necessary clip.

This is also the only case that I've had where in the first 2 days of owning it 2 people have noticed it "wow that case actually protects the phone?" I can confidently tell them it does and "wow that case is so small".

Overall: 8/10

If you've seen my other threads you know I'm absurdly picky. I've purchased over 60 different cases, and have a lot of criticism for all of them. This one manages to solve problems I could never envision, like the soft touch material (not available in silver and clear I'm told) making it grippy, and the perfect audio cable cut out.

The only improvement I could see is this coming in metallic slate soft touch. If you're interested in this color too, again please contact the manufacturer and let them know.

Hope that was helpful.

Last edited:

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Looks great. Do all the colors come with the red chip or does it come with a matching one?

Would like an all black or all slate without the red clip.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Last edited:

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Just ordered a silver one last night. How long will it take to arrive? Thanks and good review

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Just ordered a silver one last night. How long will it take to arrive? Thanks and good review

About two weeks. Keep in mind, as per my review that the silver one doesn't have the soft touch coating so it won't be as grippy as orange/red/black/white/pink.

I'm still waiting on slate.

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Nice review. Those photos look familiar ;)

Just thought I would mention for those of you who looking at this case. Although the case does come with protectors, the ones in the photo are not from Caze. The back protector is a phantomskinz matte back and the front is a Power Support Crystal screen protector.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
About two weeks. Keep in mind, as per my review that the silver one doesn't have the soft touch coating so it won't be as grippy as orange/red/black/white/pink.

I'm still waiting on slate.

I'm fine with the sacrifice, silver looks BA, but two weeks?!

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
What is it protecting on the right side of the phone?

If you are referring to the red piece, that is the clip that fastens the case together around the phone. It comes in two colors, depending on the color case you purchase.

I'm fine with the sacrifice, silver looks BA, but two weeks?!

Don't worry, the silver feels very nice as well and is not really "slippery" by any stretch of the imagination.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Thanks, I like the case alot! Looking for a replacement for my 4S.

I had the LifeProof, but that annoyed me since the volume switch has a cut in it. I bought a used Mophie Juice, but I think I'll just use that for when I'm on trips and can't charge my phone. I have an invisible shield on front and back right now.

didiee

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
Neighborhood
my 2c

Let me just chime in.
It feels great, and more "naked" than the 4s version; however that also comes at a price. I wish the lip is a little higher in the front, so I feel more secure about leaving it on the table, since I like to put my phone face down.

That being said, great customer service department. My came with a little imperfection, one of side had a little circular cut. Send me a replacement after receiving my pictorial proof.

Last edited by a moderator:

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Just got mine!
Ordered Nov 30th, arrived today.

I love this thing! I do, however, think that there is some movement in the case. Does this go away with time?

When I push on the sides of the case, there is some give there.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Just got mine!
Ordered Nov 30th, arrived today.

I love this thing! I do, however, think that there is some movement in the case. Does this go away with time?

When I push on the sides of the case, there is some give there.

No. That's the nature of the beast. I have a bit of give as well on my black case.

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Funny, I thought because I have GA sides that the case would be tighter. Guess not!

Still happy though! The first bumper I've gotten that actual fits my skullcandys! YES!

I would post a review but Radiating and JNGold have given more than enough info for one to consider this case.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
And for a second (and very positive) opinion, here's a link to my review. I've updated it to include pics of the silver one as well. Currently waiting on the clear to be shipped.

http://techmusings.me/169513935

Good job Radiating. I love this bumper. My only "gotcha" with this case is the button cutouts but overall the thing just looks and feels great.

Oh wow this is realllly nice!! The pictures in your review really show off how thin it is!

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Emailed customer service twice regarding my order since it still says processing and still no response.. Any help guys?

Last edited:

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Wait until you get the Graft Leverage case. Exact same thing but looks beautiful.

Meh. I had a Leverage for my 4s and it was a nice case. The improvements for the 5 look nice, especially the integrated metal buttons. I pre-ordered but cancelled when I saw that the 5 version is just as thick as the 4/s version.

Doobz

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
Emailed customer service twice regarding my order since it still says processing and still no response.. Any help guys?

I emailed them when mine didn't ship out at the expected date. It took like 5 days for them to reply saying that it was back ordered. It took another week for it to ship out. I finally received it a month after I ordered.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I emailed them when mine didn't ship out at the expected date. It took like 5 days for them to reply saying that it was back ordered. It took another week for it to ship out. I finally received it a month after I ordered.

I'm not optimistic about receiving this case before Christmas after reading this.. :mad:

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Update: the "give" on the right hand side (clip side) seems to be getting worse over time. I am not sure why as I don't pull on it in any way during use. Now it seems as when I grip the case normally there is a little movement which for me starts to get a bit annoying after awhile. I am waiting on the Clear version but I think I will be also going for a SGP Neo Hybrid EX thin but will wait for the Slate to be in stock.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Update: the "give" on the right hand side (clip side) seems to be getting worse over time. I am not sure why as I don't pull on it in any way during use. Now it seems as when I grip the case normally there is a little movement which for me starts to get a bit annoying after awhile. I am waiting on the Clear version but I think I will be also going for a SGP Neo Hybrid EX thin but will wait for the Slate to be in stock.

Why not the Linear EX instead of the Hybrid? The Linear seems a lot more similar to the Caze than the Hybrid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.