Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage9.png
Apple has released an update for the Mac mini that was released earlier this fall, addressing an issue with flickering on external monitors connected via HDMI.
About Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.7

This update addresses HDMI video flicker issues on Mac mini (Late 2012) computers and is recommended for all users.

The Mac mini EFI Firmware Update will update the EFI firmware on your computer.

Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source. When your Mac mini restarts, a gray screen will appear with a status bar to indicate the progress of the update. It will take several minutes for the update to complete. Do not disturb or shut off the power on your Mac mini during this update.

Mac mini EFI will be updated to 0106.03
The 4.53MB update can be downloaded via Apple's support website or via the App Store/Software Update on the Mac mini itself.

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac Mini EFI Firmware Update 1.7 to Fix Flickering on HDMI External Displays

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
It seems like every single mac for the last few years has had this issue and then was fixed with it's own patch a couple months later. Can they not just make this patch before they ship the damn things?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Glad to see they never bothered to fix the flickering on the 2011 model over HDMI.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I tried updating, but it didn't work! . Found out my Mac Mini wasn't plugged in. Boy do I feel silly! LOL!!

Seriously, there's no fix for 2011 Mini's with the same problem?

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
"The Mac Mini doesn't have a problem. It is probably isolated to your machine only."

Insert fix.

"We've fixed the problem."

eizen

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
lol I returned mine on Saturday because of this issue. I guess the people at returns aren't in any type of loop be it the problems with hardware or if a fix is coming.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I have a 2011 Mac Mini hooked up via HDMI and I have absolutely no problems with flickering and never have had any

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
lol I returned mine on Saturday because of this issue. I guess the people at returns aren't in any type of loop be it the problems with hardware or if a fix is coming.

You knew the fix was coming, right? Why did you return it?

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Good to know Apple stays on top of, and fixes, those pesky little annoyances.

So they release the computer months late compared to the laptops and still need to update the computer to make it actually functioning properly. I was about to say they need to stay on top of their Mac line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.