Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Subscription based to edit? I'll pass. Is Office really needed these days?

The greedy monster that is Microsoft rises from the depths of the sea. Tokyo is that way!

Apple isn't greedy at all, as we all know. Not in any way, shape, or form.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I hope this heralds the return of Clippy.

Nothing can beat Microsoft Bob! :D

bobhome1p.png

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This will change the way people see the iPad.

Agreed!

i like pages, numbers, and keynote better

I do too, but it's just awful for collaboration. Besides, for the market that MS serves, Office would be the cross-platform solution that accesses the cross platform cloud (hopefully) that everyone's been looking for.

Home users probably aren't the target demographic here - and a lot of offices will already be fully tied into Office 365. If collaboration with other users is supported, this will probably relegate iWork into a niche role (more than it already is, anyway).

I'd love it if we could use iWork for this sort of thing, but Apple's cloud-based collaboration tools simply do not exist. Synching between devices is nice; but sharing with other users is a bigger deal. Having to "share" by sending documents via email to other people is a throwback to 1995 - hopefully Apple plans on remedying that soon. Heck, even tying directly into Dropbox would work... but that's not going to happen.

Agreed!

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Shouldn't be a surprise considering March 2013 is the rumored launch date for Office RT and Office for Android....and all the rumors that pointed to Office for iOS in the same timeframe.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The risk of the subscription is that it encourages more people to use alternatives, which, once they discover are compatible, starts to erode the office hegonomy.

In the workplace, this move is designed to encourage w8 tablets, which I understand don't require the subscription?

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
How any Apple fan can call Microsoft "greedy" or continue to use the initials "M$" is far beyond my comprehension.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
In the workplace, this move is designed to encourage w8 tablets, which I understand don't require the subscription?

That is how I understand it also.

I'm not going to pay money for a "read-only" version of Office for my iPad. A monthly subscription for office is in "hell freezes over" territory for me.

I'd rather use PocketCloud to connect to my desktop and work on them that way.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
So that's Microsoft Bob!

...why is there a sailboat floating on lava? Do they really make sailboats that can do that?

That's the Microsoft experience...using their software is like sailing in hell.

----------

Wrong. Again.

http://www.investmentu.com/2011/December/microsoft-vs-apple-2012-and-beyond.html

You hate Apple. We get it. But enough with the disingenuous nonsense please. Facts are good.

The only "interesting" thing is to see an anal-yst wondering WHY MS, as an almost purely software company, has higher margins than Apple, still predominantly a hardware conglomerate...

Hopefully you're not as surprised as he is, Laguna... ;) Bearing that in mind, Apple's margins are MUCH higher than MS's.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
No thanks. Office sucks enough on the other platforms and I'm sick of those 23-click emergency updates. I'm sold on Pages and Numbers. I thought MS was busy porting Office to the Zune, anyway.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
The risk of the subscription is that it encourages more people to use alternatives, which, once they discover are compatible, starts to erode the office hegonomy.

Been talking to some computer consultant friends of mine. They said an increasing amount of people are asking alternatives to MS Office. Being expensive for licences & many features they never use. I don't see subscription based doing well if they go to it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sadly the Office 365 model appears to be the way Microsoft are going forward not only with iOS but possibly Mac OS going forward.

The free 12 month Office 365 if you buy office 2011 is just a starter of things to come.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
My daughter has to have MS Office for school. She wants a laptop but I'm not willing to pay for it, if MS can release a decent version for iOS, I'll buy it and she can use it on her iPad. The $$ for the app will no doubt be cheaper than a laptop.

Seriously, don't do that. An ipad even with office is not a replacement for a laptop. Even the 300-400 dollar computers with the i3's are very fast. Just get her one of those.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Oppsy.... Someone better fix those Microsoft pages. :)

This reminds me, Apple does the same thing with their products too, causally mentioning words that hint of a *new* product ermerging.

This can only mean one thing.

- Either Microsoft needs better developers, or they just love to copy "everything Apple"

No surpeise here.......they trying to do this with their pop-stores.... Fake as hell. Its like saying "get off MY grass"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.