Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
What would their corporate and economical interest be in making a Map app for the iPhone? Seeing how google maps works on my friends galaxy S3 with absolutely no issues? comparing that to Apple maps is night and day. Seeing how Google crippled the youtube app to make it play poor video quality compared to android phones. I really don't think Google has any real incentive in making google maps for Apple. Since not having it got me thinking about giving Android another try.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Because Google makes money when you use its services.

A lot of people wouldn't switch to Android from iOS just for Maps if they're locked into an ecosystem, but they would definitely switch from Apple Maps to Google Maps if the experience is markedly better as the cost to them is minimal (and probably free).

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What would their corporate and economical interest be in making a Map app for the iPhone? Seeing how google maps works on my friends galaxy S3 with absolutely no issues? comparing that to Apple maps is night and day. Seeing how Google crippled the youtube app to make it play poor video quality compared to android phones. I really don't think Google has any real incentive in making google maps for Apple. Since not having it got me thinking about giving Android another try.

Because they make money selling ads through Google Maps. Not Android. Their interest is in getting people to use their services, so they can sell ads.

From what I've seen, Google has actually made far more money from iOS than Android.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Because they make money selling ads through Google Maps. Not Android

This should probably be in big red text, and even then it may be an understatement.

Google Maps brings in lots of cash for Google whereas there's no hard evidence that Android has made them much of anything yet.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Trying android when you have a crapload of Apple gear makes absolutely no sense.

I fail to understand why people wish "cut off their nose to spite their face"

Google Maps on iOS has never been that great in the first place. It certainly isn't a feature that anyone beyond a niche would switch platforms for.

The real darkhorse here isn't Google Maps or even Apple Maps. It's actually what Microsoft is working on with Bing Maps. I can pull up my local mall on Bing Maps and it accurately shows me the location of every store.

I think people are just using Google at of familiarity and haven't really looked at other mapping technology.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
If only there was some type of internet connected device where you could choose which you wanted to use. That's crazy talk though.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Wouldn't it be better for google if people just switched to Android instead of people just using their services?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Wouldn't it be better for google if people just switched to Android instead of people just using their services?

You can be sure that whatever decisions Google makes are in their best interest, taking into account way more information than you or any of us have.

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

There are around 400 million iOS devices. And that number isn't likely to shrink because of maps.

And, again, so far an iOS user is more valuable to Google than an Android user!

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I ask the question in relation to the delay in making a app for ios6. If they want apple users to use their Map services so bad then why the delay? They could of simply re-released the old maps app in the App Store and go from there

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I ask the question in relation to the delay in making a app for ios6. If they want apple users to use their Map services so bad then why the delay? They could of simply re-released the old maps app in the App Store and go from there

There was no old Google maps app for iOS. Apple made the previous app and simply used Google's data.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

If I use GMail and Youtube and Google on an iPhone and then I start using all those same things on Android then what does Google gain?

That's kind of a wash for them, money-wise. (It helps Samsung, or HTC, sure. But Google doesn't make much more money from me in that switch.)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

First off, Google already announced they are going to come out with the IO6 version. This is no vaporware as far as everybody knows.

Then they say even though more Android phones are out there, iPhone users seems to use more map services than android users, and if that's true, then IOS map is indeed a kaching$$ for Google. There is your incentive.

Why the delay? Really don't know. Maybe Google is letting Apple stew a little. A little punishment for dumping them like a bad habit.

Somebody just posted there is a $1.99 app that will do that you want NOW (unconfirmed) so if ur impatience...

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Also Google might want to make sure they get this right. The Apple Map app is really really fast. And it has some decent features. It might not be so easy to launch something that beats Apples in most instances. Sure it will be on my phone and everyone elses. But if it is slower than Apple Map, it might be something that I go to just to check my Apple Map (like when lost in wilderness). That isn't going to look good.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
If that's the case then why the inferior youtube app and the non existent map app?

I'm not sure how the YouTube app is inferior, I was just messing with it on the iP5 and is plays back high quality and HD (slightly less than 720p due to iPhone screen res) over WiFi ... not sure if it plays back scaled 720p HD over LTE though.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Put an iAd-sized banner at the bottom of a Google Maps app. Put Google Maps out for free on App Store. Google makes a buttload of money selling ads.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I'm not sure how the YouTube app is inferior, I was just messing with it on the iP5 and is plays back high quality and HD (slightly less than 720p due to iPhone screen res) over WiFi ... not sure if it plays back scaled 720p HD over LTE though.

This^. OP, have you tried the updated youtube app? It was garbage for a long time but recently was updated for iP5, and the videos look amazing.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Isn't there hard evidence that a official Google maps app is almost ready to be deployed in the App Store?

And not that people haven't been trying out other mapping solution so they prefer Google maps. It's because Google maps works for most people, that's why there's no apparent necessity to explore other potential options.

emma777

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
India, New delhi
If the Google app doesn't have turn by turn nav, like the native Apple map, why would I care about it? Honestly, I'm not concerned in the Google map any longer.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What would their corporate and economical interest be in making a Map app for the iPhone?
You can easily answer this question yourself if you think about what Google's core business is and where their revenue comes from. It's clearly in their best interests to have as many users on as many platforms as possible given their core business. People seem to forget as they're fixated on the notion that Google provides free services and produces Android. They certainly do those things but that's not where their big money comes from.

Trying android when you have a crapload of Apple gear makes absolutely no sense.
Sure it does. One can't assess the options without actually trying them.

It might make no sense to you but you can't just assume that your preferences and situation are universal.

People make it sound like they would switch phones and ecosystems over google maps.
Some would. I wouldn't. YMMV. Again, don't assume that your preferences and situation are universal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.