Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wheat1328

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
My wife's iPhone4S quit charging. Now it will run all the way to dead, turn itself off, and connecting the charger will turn it back on but then it doesn't charge.

I was going to order the charging port and replace it, but since the port is causing the phone to turn on after it dies, it seems like it could be a software issue (it is/was completely up to date).

Not sure what I should do, I don't know much about troubleshooting things like this. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Press and hold the power button and the home button at the sane time. Do not release until you see the Apple logo. This is known as a hard (?) reset. Then try to charge it. It worked on a 3GS.

Wheat1328

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
Well I tried it and nothing happens but a screen that pops up flashing the battery with a connect to charger symbol. I held it for over a minute. I tried with the connector in and it finally made it to a screen telling me to connect the usb to iTunes. But I can because I think the port may be shot. At least iTunes isn't recognizing the phone.

The phone has no battery left to run a hard reset if a hard reset requires battery power - which I assume it does.

Wheat1328

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
I don't think I made a hard reset happen. Anyway, do you think the port is bad (that I can replace) or a software problem (which would mean I'm screwed). Thanks!

Wheat1328

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
Yes. And held them for over a minute. The warning picture thing for the battery popped up then went away, then popped up again 5-10 seconds later, then never came back and the apple screen never started

Wheat1328

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
Ok, here's what I know now:

My wife took it to the Apple Store and they hooked it up to something and said it was accepting 1/15 of the charge. They weren't sure why. My wife said they guy at the store told her it could be the connector or something else (she doesn't remember what that something else was).

I left it on the charger all night. Though it didn't show it as charging it charged. Almost like a trickle charge. It went from 0% to 86% in about 5 hours. I took it off and went into the settings and went to "reset" -> "erase all settings and content". After that it was at 83% but still didn't show it being charged when plugged in. About 3 hours later it was at 95% and this morning it was fully charged.

This is all I know. Could it be the port? The battery? Something else? I ordered a new connector port for $11 or something. I guess I'll try that.

Again, any help would be much appreciated!

Wheat1328

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
Anyone?

It seems like it's working fine (normal), but it takes forever to charge. Like hours to get even 5-10% more battery.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I think that you're spending far too much time on what if's, take it back to Apple or call AppleCare and ask them to fix it or replace it. It can't be any older than 14 months so they'll do something to remedy the situation.

Wheat1328

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2012
I did take it to apple. They said they didn't know what it was and couldn't guarantee a fix.

Plus, it doesn't have the apple care plan so I'm sure it won't be a free fix. I'd rather just do it myself if possible. I'm just looking for input on which part may be faulty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.