Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puremeerkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I just want to tell everyone how durable my iPhone 5 proved to be today! So I was working out at the gym earlier today and I decided to go on the treadmill. About 4 miles into my run on speed 7 mph, my iphone fell from the cup holder. My iphone was hanging from my earpods which were in my ears, and banging on the treadmill as it moved. It probably hit the treadmill 20 times. Then it detached from the headphones and slid onto the tiles at a very fast pace.

I immediately got off the treadmill expecting everything to be destroyed. But lo and behold my iphone didn't have a single scratch on it! I inspected into very thoroughly. This is amazing! I had no case and and only a screen protector. This phone really is built like a tank.

Zach Vega

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
United States
One time, I dropped my iPhone 5 from the second floor with no case. And when I went down there, no blemishes. It looked exactly the same as before.

karter16

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
One time on it's last trip back from Mars my iphone 5 encountered a solar storm just before it re-entered Earth's atmosphere. It got tossed around a fair bit and was thrown slightly off cause, causing it to miss the cushion I'd laid out for it to land on, and instead it hit my letterbox. Amazingly there were no scratches on it!!!

Seriously though - I'm very happy with mine. I've had it for 2 months now and it is completely blemish-free, apart from one mark where I accidentally dinged the edge of the chamfer pretty hard against another metal object, there's a little scuff there, but apart from that it's scratch-free. Seems to be scratching at a slower rate than my iPhone 4 did :)

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I just want to tell everyone how durable my iPhone 5 proved to be today! So I was working out at the gym earlier today and I decided to go on the treadmill. About 4 miles into my run on speed 7 mph, my iphone fell from the cup holder. My iphone was hanging from my earpods which were in my ears, and banging on the treadmill as it moved. It probably hit the treadmill 20 times. Then it detached from the headphones and slid onto the tiles at a very fast pace.

I immediately got off the treadmill expecting everything to be destroyed. But lo and behold my iphone didn't have a single scratch on it! I inspected into very thoroughly. This is amazing! I had no case and and only a screen protector. This phone really is built like a tank.

I think you got lucky.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Good to know! I did exactly that with my 4s in an otter box. The otter box cracked, but the 4s was fine.

It's amazing how fast it flies off the back.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It hit the treadmill 20 times while hanging from your ear buds and you didn't notice it? Ain't buying it.

+1 on the Mars story!

puremeerkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
It hit the treadmill 20 times while hanging from your ear buds and you didn't notice it? Ain't buying it.

+1 on the Mars story!

This was obviously an exaggeration as I couldn't count how many times it hit the treadmill. The person on the machine behind me said it hit the treadmill many times.. You don't have to believe me.. what purpose would I have in lying?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Two ends of the spectrum.

People complaining about how easily their iPhone 5 got scuffed, and here, people saying that their iPhone 5 is crazy durable. :cool: It's like their 2 very different manufacturers for the same product, resulting in different qualities.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
To be fair, pics or it didn't happen. We expect those with damage to show pics. We also expect those who say nothing happened to show pics. Of course we still have no idea if your story is true or not. That sounds like a lot of stress for a phone to go through. Of course the treadmill is soft and has some give. But I have no idea if you mean actual tile floor underneath or the normal rubber floors I see in a lot of gyms.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
i've dropped mine several times from various heights onto wood flooring, and all that's happened to it are a few scuffs on the aluminum band, no cracks or anything

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012

I did a 1500ft drop test with my iPhone 5 using a rocket and it survived the fall with no more than a cracked screen... :)

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
The treadmill surface is padded rubber.

This is akin to bragging: "I dropped my iphone onto soft padded foam. It bounced around a million times! Not one scratch! Conclusion: iphone is built like a tank!"

Great logic, sherlock.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Same here, no scratches or any scuff. Been using it for 2 months since it came out without any case. I dont know what people are talking about scuff gate thing. I understand some have scuff right out of the box, thats becuse of the machine they use in the factory to do the chamfer edges, but if you dont have scratch right out of the box then the phone is so hard to get scratch. For normal(not intentionally scratching with a key) daily use, this phone is so hard to get scratch

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

To be fair, he never said he didn't notice it. Have you ever run on a treadmill? An iPhone hanging from your ears will easily bounce around 20+ times in a matter of seconds going 7mph. Anyway, most treadmills these days are coated in rubber and plastic. Banging around on that isn't what surprises me. Im shocked there were no scuffs after being launched off the belt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.