Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
iTunes 11 is to iTunes 10.7 what Airport Utility 6 is to Airport Utility 5.6 - those who know what I am talking about will understand my point.

And for those don't, the point is even clearer: iTunes 11 is a piece of ****.

I wouldnt say to that extent mate, they went far more eye candy with AU than itunes.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've rolled back to 10.7. The last straw for me was it clearing my search results every time I clicked an item in the sidebar (I'd imported some old MP3s and was trying to check the tags against the iTunes Store; an exercise in frustration when it dumps you back to the beginning of the song list every time you switch back to the library).

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
It's sad to watch this once proud flagship tech firm embarrass itself time and time again.

OS X is a muddled mess. Imac non upgradeable. IT11 a POS. Macbook retina display slower than molasses and non upgradeable. Ipad. Meh.

This company has sunk into mediocrity in a remarkably short period of time. Fortunately for apple, google and samsung are just as bad, if not worse.

Apple: how low can you go?

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
It's sad to watch this once proud flagship tech firm embarrass itself time and time again.

OS X is a muddled mess. Imac non upgradeable. IT11 a POS. Macbook retina display slower than molasses and non upgradeable. Ipad. Meh.

You got me on the MacOS X being muddled, but the majority of my complaints stem from The recently fired Scott Forstall's obsession with skuemorphic design. Now that Ive is the head of hardware and software design I am more hopeful for a return to the powerful simplicity the company is known for. We'll know when 10.9 drops!

I think you are devoted to the wrong brand if you are expecting upgradeability - that has never, ever been a priority for this company. The market is demanding thinner, lighter computers and Apple is riding high on their success selling devices to this specification. You may not like Apple's priorities and compromises, but until sales dwindle Apple is going to continue targeting the mass-market not the nerd market. When Apple stops giving people what they didn't know they wanted, and it hits their bottom line, is is when they begin embarrassing themselves (G4 Cube, anyone?).

But not until then. There is no humble pie being eaten in Cupertino.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
You got me on the MacOS X being muddled, but the majority of my complaints stem from The recently fired Scott Forstall's obsession with skuemorphic design. Now that Ive is the head of hardware and software design I am more hopeful for a return to the powerful simplicity the company is known for. We'll know when 10.9 drops!

I think you are devoted to the wrong brand if you are expecting upgradeability - that has never, ever been a priority for this company. The market is demanding thinner, lighter computers and Apple is riding high on their success selling devices to this specification. You may not like Apple's priorities and compromises, but until sales dwindle Apple is going to continue targeting the mass-market not the nerd market. When Apple stops giving people what they didn't know they wanted, and it hits their bottom line, is is when they begin embarrassing themselves (G4 Cube, anyone?).

But not until then. There is no humble pie being eaten in Cupertino.

No offense but it sounds like you have been brainwashed by applespeak.

And the word is out: apple products aren't what they once were:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/12/05/apple-samsung-iphone-ipad-mini/1748593/

Apple stock bruised, down 6.4%

8:53PM EST December 5. 2012 - Turbulence continued to batter Apple stock Wednesday.

Apple shares fell 6.4% to $538.79. The stock is down 23.6% from a 52-week high of $705.07.

Causes for the downdraft could be many.

The company is due back in federal court Thursday in the landmark Apple-Samsung case. Samsung seeks a new trial and is asking to have the damages awarded by the jury reduced. Apple will seek increased damages and injunctions banning Samsung products. Judge Lucy Koh could elect to lower or increase damages or treble them if willful infringement is found.

Also, Apple's profit margins could get squeezed in coming months. The company's recent launch of its iPad Mini in particular could push margins lower, former equities analyst and Business Insider chief Henry Blodget told CNBC.

Apple released its iPad Mini October and its iPhone 5 in September. Anticipation of those products drove Apple shares up ahead of their release. The company last week announced the two devices would be coming to China this month.

Also down, Pandora Media plummeted 17.5% to $7.80. The company reported third-quarter earnings on Tuesday that included disappointing guidance for its current quarter.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
When the more powerful views move from default to the menus, it's only a matter of time before these features are gone.

If the default views represent Apple's best take after a serious rethink about what a media player should be, and i think that's unquestionably the case, then i am left rather unimpressed.

OGmaC

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
iTunes11 is BETA junk!

Tim Cook will destroy Apple, just like before without Jobs.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Rubbish release;

1. Having downloaded some free tracks from the store I subsequently bought some of the albums that contained and deleted the free track. Post upgrade all the tracks I deleted reappeared as 'cloud' items alongside those I bought. Only way I can see to remove them is to hide cloud items - which hides other stuff as well.

Just whose library is it?

2. Take shuffle as an example

Old version
- Set by Playlist
- Turn it on skipped to 'random' track when current track ends
- If not playing a track when turned on - did nothing

iTunes 11
- Set globally, so can't have it simultaneously on for 'My Top Rated' and off for an Album list
- Turn it on, stops playing current track immediately and jumps to a new track
- If not playing a track when turned on - jumps to a track and starts playing it

Would anyone be able to tell me which of these is an 'improvement'?

3. And so on.

OGmaC

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
Keep the constructive criticism coming people. Please ignore those fanboys/girls that ad hominem label you as "trolls" etc. They are on the sinking ship. We are trying to save the colossal mess that is Apple and the wretched bloated glitch-ridden iTunes11.

Tim Cook is not the man for the JOB!

Keep it coming!

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Keep the constructive criticism coming people. Please ignore those fanboys/girls that ad hominem label you as "trolls" etc. They are on the sinking ship. We are trying to save the colossal mess that is Apple and the wretched bloated glitch-ridden iTunes11.

Tim Cook is not the man for the JOB!

Keep it coming!

TC is the best COO a company can have...and that's all. He has extremely limited vision and intellectual bandwidth to be a CEO at Apple.

Leave that role to Schiller and go fix the disastrous supply-chain issues, Tim...at least Forstall is gone - now if we could only have Serlet and Tevanian back...

OGmaC

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
TC is the best COO a company can have...and that's all. He has extremely limited vision and intellectual bandwidth to be a CEO at Apple.

Leave that role to Schiller and go fix the disastrous supply-chain issues, Tim...at least Forstall is gone - now if we could only have Serlet and Tevanian back...

TC will destroy Apple. The man should use said limited vision and intellectual bandwidth and see that his ego is in the way and do the right thing: step down.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
I don't like iTunes 11 either. For years, we have been waiting for a complete re-write that would make it faster. Here it is, and I see no difference in performance. In fact, searches now take longer to complete because of the new live results in the search field (I have a large library with 75K songs and over 1.6TB).

Also, I had hoped that iTunes 11 would utilize multiple cores when converting songs. But no. Converting from one format to another takes the same amount of time as before. I had hoped to save time and be able to use all the cores in my Mac Pro. But no.

And I can't believe they scrapped the 'Album List'. This was the most useful view for finding your latest music. Now we are forced to be in 'Songs' view if we want to sort our list by "Date Added". But this view now sadly has no album artwork whatsoever. We don't even have the Sidebar artwork anymore. This is gone as well. Unbelievable. You could hide it before if you didn't want it there. No reason to remove it altogether.

I also think the new font is not as easy to read as the old one.

And why are they not pre-caching the album covers when you scroll the Album view. It's 2012 and we still have to wait for each cover to load when we page up or down?

And last, on a positive note, I like the 'Up Next' feature and the fact that the colored Sidebar icons are back (please bring color back to the Finder Sidebar as well). But that's about it. Unfortunately it's not enough to outweigh the negatives listed above. For now I'm staying on iTunes 10.7.

OGmaC

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I don't like iTunes 11 either. For years, we have been waiting for a complete re-write that would make it faster. Here it is, and I see no difference in performance. In fact, searches now take longer to complete because of the new live results in the search field (I have a large library with 75K songs and over 1.6TB).

Also, I had hoped that iTunes 11 would utilize multiple cores when converting songs. But no. Converting from one format to another takes the same amount of time as before. I had hoped to save time and be able to use all the cores in my Mac Pro. But no.

And I can't believe they scrapped the 'Album List'. This was the most useful view for finding your latest music. Now we are forced to be in 'Songs' view if we want to sort our list by "Date Added". But this view now sadly has no album artwork whatsoever. We don't even have the Sidebar artwork anymore. This is gone as well. Unbelievable. You could hide it before if you didn't want it there. No reason to remove it altogether.

I also think the new font is not as easy to read as the old one.

And why are they not pre-caching the album covers when you scroll the Album view. It's 2012 and we still have to wait for each cover to load when we page up or down?

And last, on a positive note, I like the 'Up Next' feature and the fact that the colored Sidebar icons are back (please bring color back to the Finder Sidebar as well). But that's about it. Unfortunately it's not enough to outweigh the negatives listed above. For now I'm staying on iTunes 10.7.

Thank you. Those are exactly my findings minus the GLOBAL SETTING of double-click/tap to minimize being omitted = BETA as official.

Keep the comments for this POS coming please.

Last edited:

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I also think it's a POS. Apple have not addressed the frustrations of users who ave large libraries of classical music.

Somebody else has a classical library?!?! Yay, I'm not alone!

Okay, speaking as someone with 3964 "songs" (some "songs" for you non-classical people can run 10, 15, or more minutes!) taking 41.62 gb of space with a total runtime of 15.2 days, what do you find wrong with iTunes? I'm not criticizing, I just want to know.

For me last year, iTunes Match wasn't up to the task, even though I was able to upgrade a whole lot of my ripped cd's to 256bit aac. But it screwed with my album covers a lot and even when I reset my own album art to what I wanted, iTunes match would put it back again. And some albums would "match" everything except 1 song. (Not just classical, either: Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Vols 1 & 2 matched 24 out of 25 songs, but of course you could BUY the 25th song if you wanted!) So I finally turned it off and emptied out my icloud library entirely. I let the subscription expire a few weeks back.

Again my biggest complaint is the tiny displayed size of the album art. Must REALLY be small on a 15" rMBP!

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
If you look over iTunes Facebook page, you'd see mounds of complaints on it. I'm confused how anyone could dislike it. I never really felt the iTunes prior was very user friendly. iTunes 11 changed that, and now I find it fun to use. I know that it being fun should not really be a major factor, but it certainly helps. I'm glad to see the change. It seems like anyone could become quite accustomed to it too, rather quickly even. Very Apple if you ask me.

OGmaC

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
If you look over iTunes Facebook page, you'd see mounds of complaints on it. I'm confused how anyone could dislike it. I never really felt the iTunes prior was very user friendly. iTunes 11 changed that, and now I find it fun to use. I know that it being fun should not really be a major factor, but it certainly helps. I'm glad to see the change. It seems like anyone could become quite accustomed to it too, rather quickly even. Very Apple if you ask me.

Don't be confused. Just go back to Facebook and then peruse all the complaints here and everything will become crystal clear: iTunes11 is beta at best.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I've met A LOT of apple employees this past year. Four words: Fat. Arrogant. Nerd. Weirdos.

I would HATE to work at apple if I had to deal with these people for any longer than 5 seconds.

Whatever their recent standards for hiring, they could not be very high.

Whatever the reason, apple product launches are like opening up the sewer.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
There are a few niggles....The capacity bar is so small you can't read it, album art is out of proportion to the size of the window you are viewing in, but on the whole I think it's better..wifi connection used to drive me nuts, but it now seems to work as it should without having to re-boot my iMac or the ioas devices....It even works with both my phone and ipad connected, something the previous version would never do. It needs polish but we are promised bug fixes soon.

psharp

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
I like it. The only change I'd want is to have the mini player button on the left like it used to be...

tanager

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
time display in iTunes 11?

I am trying to make the best of iTunes 11.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to change how the time displays for a playlist? I can only see "1.8 hrs" but I want it to say, "1 hr 47 min" ... I'm not anal; it's just that I host a radio show from these playlists and the minutes and seconds matter!

Even when I break it down into smaller playlists, it still only says "17 min" rather than "16 min 46 sec" ...

Ugh.

Yes, I am finding that this new version might be great for folks with smaller libraries, but not nearly as helpful for large libraries and more technical organizing.

thanks for any input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.