Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram today launched its 3.2 upgrade, which includes the newly released Willow filter and a camera makeover that improves both the look and speed of in-app picture taking.

The camera redesign is a welcome change, adding features like quicker access to the Camera Roll for iPhone 5 users, a better layout of the Camera Roll image selector, a rule-of-thirds grid for taking live shots, and an Instagram-themed shutter and shutter release button.

instagramupdatedcamera.jpg
Instagram's new Willow filter is monochromatic, with hints of purple and a white border. Previously, Instagram's only monochromatic filter was Inkwell, which produces a standard black and white photo.

willowfilter.jpg
The app's tilt shift function received an update, with a new blur algorithm that improves the quality of tilt shift photos, and a number of other small improvements have been added:
-News Feed redesign that's easier to digest, in addition to larger images.
-Beautiful new welcome screen design.
-Infinite scroll on user profiles and other grid views.
-Filtered photos are now saved to a separate album called "Instagram" in the iOS camera roll.
-Foursquare button on location pages that opens the Foursquare application, or mobile website, with details about the venue.
Instagram's update comes as the company is involved in an ongoing dispute with Twitter. Last week, Instagram removed Twitter Card support, which prevents Instagram photos from being displayed as previews in Tweets. During his talk at LeWeb on Dec. 5, Kevin Systrom explained the decision.
"We're working on building an awesome web presence, which we just launched. We revamped our web properties, and now we're able to staff up teams to work on web properties with the Facebook acquisition."
Rumors have also suggested that Twitter is planning on implementing its own photo editing capabilities, including photo filters, in the coming weeks.

Instagram is a free app for the iPhone that can be downloaded in the App Store.

Article Link: Instagram Update Features Camera Redesign and New Filter

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
New filter is essentially the same as the old black and white one...
Facebook buying out Instagram is not looking good anymore :(

cosmicthing

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Library access

Has this update disabled full photo library access? Seems I can only access camera roll - or am I being thick?!

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
what is this "tilt-shift" option? I can't seem to find it

Well the function itself initially came from large format/view cameras. Shift means you're able to use an outer portion of the image circle cast by the lens by shifting it in one of two dimensions. You can get some some amount of vignetting when you do this. It becomes more significant as you approach the edges. It's not quite the same as shifting the entire camera that distance. You're capturing a portion of the image delivered by the lens that you would not see in its standard alignment. It's useful for correcting things like convergence. Tilt is another lens plane movement. It allows you to control the plane of focus. In the instagram sense, it's just doing this with the image you already have. At an analogue level, you would be leveraging a larger image circle projected by the lens. In this case it just adjusts from what you have and crops in as necessary. It can't really be used to put more in focus, but it could be used to throw certain things out of focus to give this impression.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I like that it no longer allows you to use photos from your camera roll without cropping to the square 1:1 size. Before it would let you leave black bars on the top and bottom if you wanted to.

Builddesign

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
The selection icons don't need to be that big. Adding one filter with an update is weak.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
In unrelated news, is anyone else upset about how Facebook pulled all Instagram photos on Twitter? It's really upsetting...

Clever way to point out Instagram has new masters... Masters that are going to break the great "small kids on the block" politics Instagram has enjoyed for a few quick jabs at other big Internet companies.

I suppose you have to sell out... When the big companies come poaching you either play along and take their money... Or watch them poach you talent, clone your product and take your money. I wouldn't be surprised if Hipstamatic is getting offers to sell out as well... Every big player wants their own iPhone App for square photos nowadays.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I like that it no longer allows you to use photos from your camera roll without cropping to the square 1:1 size. Before it would let you leave black bars on the top and bottom if you wanted to.

Yep, noticed this too! But I find it annoying. Not sure if I fully like this update!

--

@kirky29 - if anybody is interested ;-)

Last edited:

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
love the update! i'gram's defi gotten me into photography over the last couple of months. found myself actually reading up wiki on "tilt-shift" :D

just incase anyone's interested in a good photo filtering app's, i dloaded Snapseed (for those that dont know bout this app) a couple of days back, its currently free, so grab away. its amazing! :eek:

flipn0tic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I personally hate this change. I always left the black bars there because I prefer the widescreen format vs the 1:1.

----------

The selection icons don't need to be that big. Adding one filter with an update is weak.

Not to mention a crappy redundant greyscale filter.

How about a feature worth updating? Like toggling the intensity of effects (like Camera+ has).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.