Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
If you read my post above i do use a cheap $5 clear screen protector and i get no oil/rainbow effect.

Does anyone know if there is only a number of times we can take the case on and off? Worried that the seals might go loose.

I'm wondering the same thing. People were saying it was 50 times then someone said the CEO of lifeproof posted on Facebook saying its now unlimited times. Maybe someone else can confirm..

danibug23

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
If you read my post above i do use a cheap $5 clear screen protector and i get no oil/rainbow effect. I can see that if one uses a zagg or ghost armor type of screen protector (or something with the same rubbery consistency) then you might get the rainbow effect.

Does anyone know if there is only a number of times we can take the case on and off? Worried that the seals might go loose.

Thank you I'm going to try and change my screen protector because it's been on there for awhile and re do it hoping it will help :)

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
I'm wondering the same thing. People were saying it was 50 times then someone said the CEO of lifeproof posted on Facebook saying its now unlimited times. Maybe someone else can confirm..

It's "unlimited" as long as you inspect the seals like the o ring and do a regular maintenance to the case and water test without phone after any falls.

danibug23

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Is everyone having the rainbow effect on this case??? I've cleaned it so many times but never goes away!

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
My warranty replacement from lifeproof has shipped. I will let you all know how it turns out. I should receive it tomorrow or Tuesday.

danibug23

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
What screen protector do you have on?

I didn't have one at first and it still had the rainbow effect then I added one that I got from the Verizon store and it's still there :(. Also any one know how to fix the vibration in the ear piece ???

bimmerboii

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
I didn't have one at first and it still had the rainbow effect then I added one that I got from the Verizon store and it's still there :(. Also any one know how to fix the vibration in the ear piece ???

Try wiping the both screens lightly with rubbing alcohol? I did it before installing mine. Its been on for 24hrs now and no rainbow effect. Pics taken with another iphone 5.
7udeta6a.jpg

uda8a2a7.jpg

Anybody here using a screen protector and a back protector (full body protector)? Its a tight fit and im not sure if it is safe with regards to the seal.

danibug23

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Try wiping the both screens lightly with rubbing alcohol? I did it before installing mine. Its been on for 24hrs now and no rainbow effect. Pics taken with another iphone 5. Image

Anybody here using a screen protector and a back protector (full body protector)? Its a tight fit and im not sure if it is safe with regards to the seal.

I was goingnto try that at first but was afraid of messing up the screen but my mom is a nurse and has a ton of rubbing alcohol pads will let you know if it works thanks!

P.s pretty sure we have the same counter tops hahaha

Jeremy3292

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
My thoughts on the Gen. 3 case:

I was very discouraged by the reviews and almost didn't get one of these cases. I went to BestBuy and purchased one anyways. I looked on the back of the cases for the number - mine is in the 228000 range. They still had some there in the 70000s. Thankfully I had read here before purchasing a case.

I have yet to see everyone's problems with this case.

1. The "rainbowing" is very minimal and not a problem at all. You can't see it ever unless your phone is locked and then it doesn't matter.

2. The vibration on the back panel isn't a big deal and not very noticeable. If the speaker volume is all the way up when playing music it vibrates a little bit but the new pad on the back of the case definitely helps versus the Gen 1 or Gen 2 cases.

3. The pillowing on the top of the screen is due to the design of the case and the speaker that is held up to the ear. IMO, it is not a big deal. You just have to give it a slightly harder tap - nothing that is really annoying.

4. The proximity sensor works just fine for me when making calls. No issues thus far.

5. When making calls I have had no issues with sound. I have had many test runs calling people and thus far everyone has been able to hear me loud and clear.

I am very satisfied with the case so far. The sound is a bit muffled due to it being a fully enclosed case. I can easily fix that by turning up the ringer volume though. I would recommend this case to any iPhone 5 user. Just make sure you get a Generation 3 case. Don't be discouraged by the reviews...try it out for yourself. And even if you don't like it, you can always return it and get your money back.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
My thoughts on the Gen. 3 case:

I was very discouraged by the reviews and almost didn't get one of these cases. I went to BestBuy and purchased one anyways. I looked on the back of the cases for the number - mine is in the 228000 range. They still had some there in the 70000s. Thankfully I had read here before purchasing a case.

I have yet to see everyone's problems with this case.

1. The "rainbowing" is very minimal and not a problem at all. You can't see it ever unless your phone is locked and then it doesn't matter.

2. The vibration on the back panel isn't a big deal and not very noticeable. If the speaker volume is all the way up when playing music it vibrates a little bit but the new pad on the back of the case definitely helps versus the Gen 1 or Gen 2 cases.

3. The pillowing on the top of the screen is due to the design of the case and the speaker that is held up to the ear. IMO, it is not a big deal. You just have to give it a slightly harder tap - nothing that is really annoying.

4. The proximity sensor works just fine for me when making calls. No issues thus far.

5. When making calls I have had no issues with sound. I have had many test runs calling people and thus far everyone has been able to hear me loud and clear.

I am very satisfied with the case so far. The sound is a bit muffled due to it being a fully enclosed case. I can easily fix that by turning up the ringer volume though. I would recommend this case to any iPhone 5 user. Just make sure you get a Generation 3 case. Don't be discouraged by the reviews...try it out for yourself. And even if you don't like it, you can always return it and get your money back.

Jeremy, Any other improvements on your 228,000 model over the white foam strip and black rubber bumper?

I'm just thinking that there will be a 4th generation sooner or later. :)

----------

Try wiping the both screens lightly with rubbing alcohol? I did it before installing mine. Its been on for 24hrs now and no rainbow effect. Pics taken with another iphone 5. Image

What kind of lanyard are you using?

danibug23

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Rubbing alcohol got rid of most of it but not all I quit I'm just going to take pride of finally getting all of the dust particles out hopefully it will just fade away over time

bimmerboii

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
What kind of lanyard are you using?

Its just the lanyard that game with my USB flash drive. A 32gb Partiot Xporter if that matters lol.

Rubbing alcohol got rid of most of it but not all I quit I'm just going to take pride of finally getting all of the dust particles out hopefully it will just fade away over time

And make sure to wipe both screens after with a lint free cloth :)

Jeremy3292

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Jeremy, Any other improvements on your 228,000 model over the white foam strip and black rubber bumper?

I'm just thinking that there will be a 4th generation sooner or later. :)

I'm not sure. I didn't see anything strikingly different from the photos you posted. I just know its at least Gen 3.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
So, after about a months usage, I think I'm giving up on this case. I'm just not satisfied with it. I'm probably going to keep it though for trips where it deems necessary to have. I think the pillowing has become worse enough that it is difficult for me to type like I used to with the bare front. I also use headphones every day for commuting and fiddling around with the headphone adapter is no fun. I think I'm going back to some minimalist case with moderate protection. We shall see.

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
I got rid of the hum!

I was able to get rid of the annoying hum by using 2 Command strips attached to the back of the case. Hope this helps anyone experience the hum.

IMG_1714.jpg

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
If you read my post above i do use a cheap $5 clear screen protector and i get no oil/rainbow effect. I can see that if one uses a zagg or ghost armor type of screen protector (or something with the same rubbery consistency) then you might get the rainbow effect.

Same here, I always used the cheap sceen protectors under the lifeproof and never got oil slicks unless it was very very humid outside.

danibug23

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
what i did was go to walmart and go in the arts in crafts section and got peel and stick foam and it works perfect.

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Got the case today and I love it. Question: where can I find the production number on this piece? I think it's newer because it has that foam pad on the inside back.

Also, I'm desperately needing a clip-in belt holster. Does anybody have a suggestion????

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Got the case today and I love it. Question: where can I find the production number on this piece? I think it's newer because it has that foam pad on the inside back.

Also, I'm desperately needing a clip-in belt holster. Does anybody have a suggestion????

On the outside of the box on the back, in the bottom right corner.

----

I just received a replacement from Lifeproof today. Previously had 299xx and the replacement I received today was 64xxx. Obviously I didn't get one of their newer models because you guys are saying you have models in the 200k+. I just don't understand lifeproof, you'd think that they'd hope their newest versions should be the better ones, therefore they should send their "warranty replacements" the newest version created. But they send me one of their old-mid versions, I just don't get it. Lifeproof are a bunch of ____. Versions in my Best Buy stores are higher than 64k. I might just return this case all together and grab the incipio or otterbox waterproof cases once they release.

Anyway I can say there probably isn't a huge difference between these 2 models I have. The sound is more clear when playing music at full blast though, thats it, and this version doesn't even have the foam black piece on the back. Weird how that works. I still have a proximity issue once in a while like I do on the 29k version. The warranty replacement is supposed to solve the problems I had on the previous version, not be the same, go figure.

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Just so you guys are aware my case number is 110,805 and it's a 3rd version case.

Overall I'm very happy with the case. I can't "nit pick" it to death because it's made to withstand a lot.

Although, I'm very excited to see how the OBEX holds up. Especially since it includes a belt holster.

Cubano21

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Ok so I have gone through about 8 different cases, and have seen 3 different versions. Well today for the hell of it I went to BB to see if LF has sent out a need model, and low and behold another version. The last one I got that has the foam on the back side below the apple logo. This one did fix the speaker vibration and the issues with people hearing there echo on speaker. Sometimes I would get the proximity sensor issue but not a lot, also the pill owing affect due to the foam at the top of the front. Well the one I picked up today is a little different, where the foam below the apple logo it has 2 plastic pieces, where the foam was white is now black and seems a little skinner. On the front there is no longer the foam piece at the top, there little foam pieces inside corners and sides, also the plastic on the home button is skinner. I will link the pictures. I currently am doing the water test and will give some feed back once I try out this version of the case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 298

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Ok so I have gone through about 8 different cases, and have seen 3 different versions. Well today for the hell of it I went to BB to see if LF has sent out a need model, and low and behold another version. The last one I got that has the foam on the back side below the apple logo. This one did fix the speaker vibration and the issues with people hearing there echo on speaker. Sometimes I would get the proximity sensor issue but not a lot, also the pill owing affect due to the foam at the top of the front. Well the one I picked up today is a little different, where the foam below the apple logo it has 2 plastic pieces, where the foam was white is now black and seems a little skinner. On the front there is no longer the foam piece at the top, there little foam pieces inside corners and sides, also the plastic on the home button is skinner. I will link the pictures. I currently am doing the water test and will give some feed back once I try out this version of the case.

Wow that's awesome! Thanks for sharing. Also mention the product number if you don't mind. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.