Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
so apple says charging using the usb port on computer would take 4 hours total (2 hours from 0% -> 80%, 2 hours more [trickle charge] from 80% -> 100%)

i use the usb port and after 10 minutes it charges from 20% to 36%, and usually get to 80% after 40 - 50 minutes. is it supposed to be this fast?
(from 80% i have to wait about 1 and a half hour for it to fully charge - which is probably normal)

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Is the battery life poor?

no, it's not excellent, but it's pretty good, i usually get about 8 hours of mixed uses (music while screen off, web browsing, play some puzzle games (not heavy games)), if i play heavy games and a lot of browsing then i get about 3 - 4 hours.

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Mine too

My iPod touch 4g does that too, but it's almost two years old so it might just be old battery. But I know what you mean. Mine goes from like 20% to 80% in almost 45 minutes, then it takes hours to trickle charge. Its kinda annoying. I think maybe it's a software error where it over-estiimates its charge rate and then waits for 100% for a long time to even it out. Just a relatively unexperienced guess.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
The charging methodology depends on the temperature and state of the battery. The charging system is rather intelligent and will attempt to charge the battery as rapidly as possible as long as temperatures of the battery during the rapid charge phase are safe to do so. It then backs down as the battery nears maximum capacity to avoid battery problems / damage. It will also float up and down from full charge once fully charged for similar reasons.

What Apple outlines is the higher end of the charging time range assuming a battery likely closer to thermal limits.

nephlin

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
This kind of blew my mind too. I love that when it starts flashing red you can plug it in for five minutes and get an hour out of it. I've had my battery life flashing and been able to watch a full length movie on it. I would recommend not using it while it's plugged in though. I did this and it got very hot and messed up some of the hardware. :(

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
This kind of blew my mind too. I love that when it starts flashing red you can plug it in for five minutes and get an hour out of it. I've had my battery life flashing and been able to watch a full length movie on it. I would recommend not using it while it's plugged in though. I did this and it got very hot and messed up some of the hardware. :(

Using it while charging is perfectly fine. How did it screw the hardware up?

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
thanks guys, now i know it's normal

Using it while charging is perfectly fine. How did it screw the hardware up?

i don't think it's perfectly fine to use while charging. it wouldn't do any serious harm though, i read somewhere it may make the battery worse than it's supposed to be after 1 or 2 years. and many people upgrade their ipod/iphone/ipad/tablet/smartphone/... after about 2 years lol

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I dont know if touch 5 still has that battery jump like touch 4 which i used to have.

Still, it seems from 80 to 100 took quite long time, especially if you charge from computer usb. Somtime, it shows the plug sign and you keep charging, it goes back to lightning sign.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
thanks guys, now i know it's normal

i don't think it's perfectly fine to use while charging. it wouldn't do any serious harm though, i read somewhere it may make the battery worse than it's supposed to be after 1 or 2 years. and many people upgrade their ipod/iphone/ipad/tablet/smartphone/... after about 2 years lol

Could be, I haven't experienced much problems with battery although I did get a replacement iPod touch in August do to my home button failing. I wouldn't think it would do any harm either because I've used my Nintendo DS's while they are in the charger for about 4 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.